Loving my Playbook - but does anyone have any ideas if (and when) the UK will get a video store?
    fbloise likes this.
    03-11-12 07:34 AM
    Would be good, huh!
    03-11-12 07:38 AM
    Definitely!!!!! I'll keep plodding on regardless lol
    03-11-12 07:47 AM
    I reckon any video store would face an uphill struggle against Sky - who probably have all the movie rights sewn up tight anyway.

Probably best to hope that Sky Go comes to Playbook by either native or Android means. According to their website, Android phones and tablets will be supported "later this year".
    03-11-12 08:57 AM
    I reckon any video store would face an uphill struggle against Sky - who probably have all the movie rights sewn up tight anyway.

Probably best to hope that Sky Go comes to Playbook by either native or Android means. According to their website, Android phones and tablets will be supported "later this year".
    That must be when the noose exclusivity Apple contract expires in that they can develop apps for others. That's half of Apple's strategy, not so much the hardware, but they lock major establishments into exclusive deals for good $$$. Look at Sky News 'advertising' the iPad every 5 minutes.
    03-11-12 09:02 AM
    According to Skyusers.co.uk it's available now for 'Some' android phones but you need a subscription to existing sky satellite channels to use it and it seems to be getting mixed reviews .
    I'd rather have the BB video store anyway as i dumped my Sky subscription at the start of 2011 .
    03-11-12 09:09 AM
    Sky Go would be available over internet, except it uses Silverlight....which makes it incompatible.
    03-11-12 10:57 AM
    Get a US proxy and the video store will work.
    03-11-12 11:12 AM
    No thanks....
    03-11-12 11:34 AM
    It seems there is a) a high number of non-US users wanting to buy videos c) Some people out there know how to do it.

Apparently you access the US store through a proxy server.

Now we need someone to match supply with demand and explain how to do it.

HELP PLEASE!!!

To be honest the whole approach of RIM is a mystery to me. They do updates without explanation, nothing seems to get any better...
    probably I punt my playbook when Kindle fire comes to UK.
    Fed up waiting on "coming solutions"
    06-05-12 07:24 AM
    I don't mean this as just some kind of Jedi mind trick. As a Canadian that just got access to the Playbook's Video Store, I can tell you that it is the worst deal in all of tech!

You have to pay full (DVD) price for a bunch of standard-definition movies, and for that money you can ONLY watch them on your specific PlayBook.

You can't license it for use on your home computer or other connected devices, they don't have a web client to stream the movies to other devices, and because it is a fragmented MP4, you can't even remove the DRM to watch it on other devices.

For the money it is a way worse deal than just buying a DVD, which at least you can watch on any DVD player, not just one that is licensed individually to you. Even Apple let's you watch your iTunes movies on your home computer and other Apple devices.

Right now it might not seem like that big of a deal that you can only watch your movie on your playbook, but think of it this way: chances are in the future you'll have more and more web connected home entertainment devices, and eventually you are going to want to be able to watch the movies that you own on some of these other devices - but with the playbook you won't be able to. You'll have to own 2 copies of every movie you want to watch, one for the Playbook, and one for everything else...

I'm back to buying DVDs and ripping them to MP4 as my method of getting movies on my Playbook.
    08-18-12 08:13 AM
    I don't mean this as just some kind of Jedi mind trick. As a Canadian that just got access to the Playbook's Video Store, I can tell you that it is the worst deal in all of tech!

You have to pay full (DVD) price for a bunch of standard-definition movies, and for that money you can ONLY watch them on your specific PlayBook.

You can't license it for use on your home computer or other connected devices, they don't have a web client to stream the movies to other devices, and because it is a fragmented MP4, you can't even remove the DRM to watch it on other devices.

I'm back to buying DVDs and ripping them to MP4 as my method of getting movies on my Playbook.
    Hi kc

Can you watch these PB Video Store movies via HDMI out?

Only asking - as might be better for me than paying a fortune to watch a limited set of movies in a hotel room (I travel a lot)

Yep, ripping my DVDs works for me too!
    08-18-12 08:35 AM

An Android app would certainly use native code for decoding whatever codec is used by the Sky Go service. In other words, it won't work on the PB even if there is an Android app.
    08-18-12 02:48 PM
    Hi guys. New PlayBook owner in the UK. Great site and community. Some posts have Really helped me out in getting started. I am streaming movies and tv off blinkbox. Have it on my 360 and don't use it - but on playbook its ideal. Not sure if you can access from Europe or further afield though. Some good stuff. Not the cheapest....but also has a ton of free stuff. Hope this helps anyone.
    dave_h_946 likes this.
    10-24-12 05:53 PM
    What about a good software option to remove DRM from iTunes downloaded films/videos.
    Anyone got a good suggestion?
    12-04-12 08:07 AM
    What about a good software option to remove DRM from iTunes downloaded films/videos.
    Anyone got a good suggestion?
    AFAIK, all the options are paid, and I'm not sure which is best. The alternative is to play the video on your computer and record the screen using some screen recording software, but that will give poor quality results I think, and will take the full length of the movie.
    12-04-12 10:18 AM
    BigAl
    Yes you can watch movies through the hdmi.
    12-04-12 10:21 AM
    Hi kc

Can you watch these PB Video Store movies via HDMI out?

Only asking - as might be better for me than paying a fortune to watch a limited set of movies in a hotel room (I travel a lot)

Yep, ripping my DVDs works for me too!
    You definitely can. I don't have cable, just my playbook and big screen with an HDMI cable.
    12-04-12 08:38 PM
    I enquired with BlinkBox a while back and they said they were hoping to get an android app out by Xmas, followed by a Playbook app (which would be based on the android app).
    12-05-12 04:21 AM
    Hi guys. New PlayBook owner in the UK. Great site and community. Some posts have Really helped me out in getting started. I am streaming movies and tv off blinkbox. Have it on my 360 and don't use it - but on playbook its ideal. Not sure if you can access from Europe or further afield though. Some good stuff. Not the cheapest....but also has a ton of free stuff. Hope this helps anyone.
    Does blinkbox work on the playbook - I thought it had stopped working since August when they changed to silverlight?
    12-05-12 04:22 AM
    Does blinkbox work on the playbook - I thought it had stopped working since August when they changed to silverlight?
    I have been able to watch some of the free stuff from BlinkBox on PB, haven't tried paid stuff. If it uses Silverlight as you say, it won't work on PB.
    12-05-12 07:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD