I just stumbled upon article on tablets on CBC.ca and one thing did caught my attention

Worldwide tablet sales, by operating system (in millions)

2015 (projected)

iOS (Apple) 46.6 148.6
    Android 11 116.4
    Microsoft 0 34.4
    QNX (RIM) 3 26.1
    Source: Gartner (2011)

here is source to the article

5 things to know when buying a tablet or smartphone - Technology & Science - CBC News
    Last edited by bitek; 03-09-12 at 03:25 PM.
    03-09-12 03:23 PM
    This is great! We heard What RIM shipped through the supply chain..However those figures do not take into account the enterprise adoption. I see RIM exceeding 10 million+ sold PlayBook's by years end. 7 million sold this year is a very easy target to achieve
    bitek likes this.
    03-09-12 03:28 PM
    Sorry to disappoint you, but enterprise adoption of the Playbook is pretty much non existent.

(It's not just the lack of specialized apps, that makes the enterprise choose almost exclusively iPads. Things like no email client, and now an email client with no cc/bcc option are a major problem)

As for the CBC article, its incorrect and they messed up. (But hey.... Journalists, you know you cant trust them!)

The 3 million figure they're reporting (As well as the other figures in that textbox) are based on an ESTIMATE that Gartner came out with in September last year. As you know, we now have the real figures from RIM themselves.

I guess some intern didn't factcheck it properly....
    03-09-12 03:41 PM
    Sorry to disappoint you, but enterprise adoption of the Playbook is pretty much non existent.

(It's not just the lack of specialized apps, that makes the enterprise choose almost exclusively iPads. Things like no email client, and now an email client with no cc/bcc option are a major problem)

As for the CBC article, its incorrect and they messed up. (But hey.... Journalists, you know you cant trust them!)

The 3 million figure they're reporting (As well as the other figures in that textbox) are based on an ESTIMATE that Gartner came out with in September last year. As you know, we now have the real figures from RIM themselves.

well it says projected for 2015 but does not say the same for 2011 so these must be real #. I think they must be about right.
    03-09-12 03:44 PM
    well it says projected for 2015 but does not say the same for 2011 so these must be real #. I think they must be about right.
    Nope, check out the Gartner report from September that they're quoting. Both the 2011 and 2015 numbers are Gartners guesstimates.

Think about it... Gartners analysts obviously don't have direct access to RIMs sales figures, and even IF they did, they wouldn't be able to say what Playbooks sales figures for all of 2011 would be, when they made the report in September.

Also... Their September report directly contradicts the figures that RIM themselves gave later in the year. That's pretty darn sloppy research from CBC...
    03-09-12 03:54 PM
    they need to have these # from somewhere. I think 3 mil is reasonable #. Afterall PB sold 750k at regular prices before aggressive discounts began.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps
    03-09-12 03:57 PM
    ...Things like no email client, and now an email client with no cc/bcc option are a major problem)....
    There is cc/bcc in the native mail app. For bcc, when composing a message, swipe down from the top...
    03-09-12 03:58 PM
    This is not a good news at all. MS has 0 in 2011, but expected to surpass RIM by 2015. Based on these numbers it puts RIM on 4th spot in terms of developer interest, since developers will put priority on the products with larger market share.

I was hoping that RIM would stay ahead of MS at least.. we'll see, these numbers are based on a lot of speculation
    03-09-12 03:58 PM
    More Playbooks sold during the last few week across Canada than iPad according to CBC (ref: PlayBooks outsold iPads last week - Business - CBC News). However, the CBC forgot to mention that the reason most likely because the rumors on iPad 3 release in next few weeks.
    03-09-12 04:00 PM
    RIM shipped 150K tablet in Q3 reporting and during that quarter there were many discount sales.

They would have had to sell almost 2 million PBs in december to get close to 3 million for the year.

Like someone said CBC used some real sloppy and incorrect math
    kennyliu and JeepBB like this.
    03-09-12 04:04 PM
    Friends of mine working on this project in Quanta once told me that less than 1.5millions of total devices have been made. I doubt they can sell twice the amount of units they had manufactured.
    We can certainly heard about it on the financial report in 20 days.
    03-09-12 04:07 PM
    they need to have these # from somewhere. I think 3 mil is reasonable #. Afterall PB sold 750k at regular prices before aggressive discounts began.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps
    Yes... From an estimate! Basically theyre saying. "OK, based on RIMs expectations and the feedback were getting, we think that RIM will sell about half of what they expected, which means they'll sell 3 million Playbooks this year". Keep in mind that Gartners figures came BEFORE the discounts. No one knew yet how spectacularly bad they were selling besides RIM.
    03-09-12 04:07 PM
    I just stumbled upon article on tablets on CBC.ca and one thing did caught my attention

Worldwide tablet sales, by operating system (in millions)

2015 (projected)

iOS (Apple) 46.6 148.6
    Android 11 116.4
    Microsoft 0 34.4
    QNX (RIM) 3 26.1
    Source: Gartner (2011)

here is source to the article

5 things to know when buying a tablet or smartphone - Technology & Science - CBC News

Honestly, I'd bet they exceed that projection by a significant amount. Ive been noticing lately how they're learning to keep things quiet to get rid of 'missed target syndrome' and I'm speculating they may even be adopting the better 'under promise, over deliver' philosophy.
    03-09-12 04:36 PM
    Honestly, I'd bet they exceed that projection by a significant amount. Ive been noticing lately how they're learning to keep things quiet to get rid of 'missed target syndrome' and I'm speculating they may even be adopting the better 'under promise, over deliver' philosophy.
    Where did you get that idea from? I don't see any sign of that coming, first they would have to deliver at least what they promised. At this rate, if they wish to over deliver, they will have to push the schedule out far far away..

I just feel that RIM is no longer agile as once it was. They are simply not reacting quickly enough, let alone being proactive.
    03-09-12 04:43 PM
    They have not sold 3 million playbooks.

Last earnings call, they had shipped 750K or less in total.

I suspect the number has risen since then as the price drops and now with os2.

I get the feeling that the playbook is finally gaining traction with consumers and have seen an increase in people carrying them in our office.

But if Playbook users want skype and Netflix type apps, the user base has to expand to garner the attention of the app makers.. And its hard to do that when those same key apps are missing.

Hopefully the playbooks sales increase expotentially with the os update and the new low price point.. I think it will compete well with the kindle fire.

last report i saw was that the playbook had 15% of the cnd consumer market up from 5% in september.. And was the number 2 tablet in canada. The ipad dropped from 80% to 68% in that same time frame.

Too many factors.
    03-09-12 04:50 PM

(It's not just the lack of specialized apps, that makes the enterprise choose almost exclusively iPads. Things like no email client, and now an email client with no cc/bcc option are a major problem)...

No CC/BCC option? Looks like YOU didn't fact check. This box was probably better left unopened but you have posted twice since you made that incorrect statement. Your points have some validity but you should also be willing, in the course of rational debate, to admit such an erroneous statement.
    03-09-12 04:55 PM

Really....that's odd....my PB does have BCC....

Have to get to the bottom of this
    03-09-12 05:46 PM
    I remember this CB article http://crackberry.com/17-million-wor...aybooks-stolen have they been accounted for? I'm sure the suppliers scrambled to deliver on late orders but still, where are these?
    03-09-12 05:48 PM
    I remember this CB article http://crackberry.com/17-million-wor...aybooks-stolen have they been accounted for? I'm sure the suppliers scrambled to deliver on late orders but still, where are these?
    Suspects were never apprehended, despite security photos...

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...3/#post6944422
    03-09-12 07:32 PM
    Agree with this. 1.5 million made total sounds just about right. My contacts say none were manufactured after November 2011. Some assembly from earlier manufactured parts may have continued for a month.
    Your contacts are blowing smoke. Crackberrians are posting playbook with manufacture dates post November here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...26/index9.html
    Jake Storm likes this.
    03-09-12 07:33 PM
    3 million, huh? Sounds incorrect to me......
    03-09-12 07:36 PM

Shows you don't know. I have a cc and bcc option in my email, native.
    03-09-12 07:37 PM
    Yeah, numbers we have seen just don't add up to 3 million.
    03-09-12 08:52 PM
    Hopefully this is correct! If so, this is pretty good news, for the 'last runner up' tablet!
    Lets say they sold 1 million of each capacity for discount prices.

16GB ($199)- $199,000,000 (One hundred and ninety-nine million.)
    32GB ($249)- $249,000,000 (Two hundred and forty-nine million.)
    62GB ($299)- $299,000,000 (Two hundred and ninety-nine million.)
    Altogether- $747,000,000 (Seven Hundred and forty-seven million.)

I think that is a pretty good amount...
    03-09-12 09:17 PM
    GO RIM, first #1 in Canada and now this. All this without native email, netflix, skype and all the negative reviews and dead wrong reports of RIM cancelling it.
    bitek and CDM76 like this.
    03-09-12 09:45 PM
95 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD