I know it's been a while since we've released any hybrids - considering the amount of leaks available the passed two months, the break was appreciated. But...we're back.

Click the link and enjoy!

Mecca EL

Hybrid: Alpha Prime for 9810 by Mecca ← OpenSourceBB.com � OSBB
    03-09-12 11:33 AM
    im new to hybrids

can u tell me how to install this?
    03-09-12 11:55 AM
    do i have to delete everything from ProgramFiles\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9810M_v7.1.0.258_P5.1.0.223\java or just replace the cods from the download??

after that should i execute the loader.exe file or anything else?

do i need to wipe the device?

please help. i'm a noob
    Last edited by rgshah3; 03-09-12 at 12:40 PM.
    03-09-12 12:38 PM
    Getting ready to upgrade the OS.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    03-09-12 12:54 PM
    do i have to delete everything from ProgramFiles\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9810M_v7.1.0.258_P5.1.0.223\java or just replace the cods from the download??

after that should i execute the loader.exe file or anything else?

do i need to wipe the device?

please help. i'm a noob
    Don't delete anything, rgshah. Just copy the content of the Alpha Prime folder, and paste the java over the content of 258's java, and overwrite the old files. Once that's done, use loader.exe to update
    03-09-12 01:07 PM
    Don't delete anything, rgshah. Just copy the content of the Alpha Prime folder, and paste the java over the content of 258's java, and overwrite the old files. Once that's done, use loader.exe to update
    If you're like me, even though there's no admin account, only me, I had to change my own access rights to be able to copy the files over the originals. Leave it to M$ to keep life interesting.
    03-09-12 01:15 PM
    Is a wipe needed?
    03-09-12 01:24 PM
    Is a wipe needed?
    Nope. You should see the new java set as "Update/Upgrade". From there you can install. Just make sure you take your time
    03-09-12 01:36 PM
    Nope. You should see the new java set as "Update/Upgrade". From there you can install. Just make sure you take your time
    Huh? I didn't get you
    Where will this update/upgrade be?
    03-09-12 01:38 PM
    Huh? I didn't get you
    the update should show up once you are connected to desktop manager, provided you have already deleted both vendor files.
    03-09-12 03:55 PM
    the update should show up once you are connected to desktop manager, provided you have already deleted both vendor files.
    No. It didn't for me. I had to run loader. But that was my plan, anyway. Did the copy, then backed up 3rd party apps with BBSAK, backed up data with DM (apparently not needed, but better safe than sorry), ran loader, made sure all the installation choices were as intended, reinstalled 3rd party apps. I still need to put some registration codes back in, but that's OK. Other than that, this was the smoothest upgrade I've done.
    Mecca EL and Blacklatino like this.
    03-09-12 04:26 PM
    Huh? I didn't get you
    Once you overwrite 258's java with 284, start loader.exe and you will see that an update appears in apploaders selection screen, like you would see in any normal upgrade.

Hope I'm not sounding mean, but I highly suggest that you read as much as possible about installing a hybrid. Familiarize yourself with the terms, applications and folder locations so that you can prevent user error. User error is 98 percent of the reason why OS installation errors and bricks happen.

It isn't necessary that you install this hybrid. I just made it for those experienced in the process.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    03-09-12 04:42 PM
    Once you overwrite 258's java with 284, start loader.exe and you will see that an update appears in apploaders selection screen, like you would see in any normal upgrade.

Hope I'm not sounding mean, but I highly suggest that you read as much as possible about installing a hybrid. Familiarize yourself with the terms, applications and folder locations so that you can prevent user error. User error is 98 percent of the reason why OS installation errors and bricks happen.

It isn't necessary that you install this hybrid. I just made it for those experienced in the process.
    But you don't become experienced if you don't try it. This was actually my first hybrid. I did have some idea where to look because I've pretty regularly upgraded on my 9800 and 9810. And both rgshah3 and I were not getting stellar battery life. It was worth a shot for both of us.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    03-09-12 05:27 PM
    Will this hybrid work on the 9850 or the 9930? I know your other hybrid did. Thanks.
    Update: this one didn't work for my 9850..had to restore to base.
    Last edited by palisoulja1; 03-09-12 at 09:04 PM.
    03-09-12 06:24 PM
    But you don't become experienced if you don't try it. This was actually my first hybrid. I did have some idea where to look because I've pretty regularly upgraded on my 9800 and 9810. And both rgshah3 and I were not getting stellar battery life. It was worth a shot for both of us.
    Yeah! Kraski, true story
    03-09-12 09:22 PM

I am sorry! I'll research myself before asking any noob questions
    Blacklatino and Mecca EL like this.
    03-09-12 09:23 PM
    Hey rgshah - don't worry about asking questions - that is why CB exists, so we fellow BB users can help each other - even us experienced users run into things that cause us us to ask for help . .

The thing is (and this is what Mecca is saying) - installing hybrids, including the steps you must take before actually getting to the step of installing to your device - is a "proper steps and procedures" process - not really hard to do IF you know what you are doing - but to get to that point, you must take the time to read the posts about how to install hybrids, how to wipe your device using BBSAK (if you have problems and need to do a wipe), how to properly back up your apps and data, how to locate specific folders and locations, and specific files within those folders, and how to use apploader instead of Desktop Manager.

Not doing "the right things in the right order" can have varying effects - from the OS not working properly, to apps not working properly, to "bricking" your device (also usually recoverable, but again using a detailed and methodical set of procedures) - to "crashing" your device to the point that restoring operation means send the phone in for replacement (which costs you $$$).

So - do a search on CB for "How to install a hybrid" - there is also a section "Blackberry 101" that contains info on how to wipe, how to install a new OS, etc. - READ the info, make sure you understand it - make sure you follow all the steps in the right order - and you should have no problems.

I hope this helps . . .
    Mecca EL, rgshah3 and Blacklatino like this.
    03-09-12 10:11 PM
    Don't be sorry brother. Be informed. Shoot, I'm a noob at many things, that I'm sure you excel in. When the time comes that I need to access your resources, I at least want to know what form of geek you speak

I'm here if you get stuck or really don't understand something you've read up on. We can switch to pm's at that point.
    rgshah3 and Blacklatino like this.
    03-09-12 10:14 PM
    Not much chatter from anyone successfully using this hybrid.
    Love to hear some input from those that have tried it.
    TIA.
    03-09-12 10:15 PM
    Hey rgshah - don't worry about asking questions - that is why CB exists, so we fellow BB users can help each other - even us experienced users run into things that cause us us to ask for help . .

The thing is (and this is what Mecca is saying) - installing hybrids, including the steps you must take before actually getting to the step of installing to your device - is a "proper steps and procedures" process - not really hard to do IF you know what you are doing - but to get to that point, you must take the time to read the posts about how to install hybrids, how to wipe your device using BBSAK (if you have problems and need to do a wipe), how to properly back up your apps and data, how to locate specific folders and locations, and specific files within those folders, and how to use apploader instead of Desktop Manager.

Not doing "the right things in the right order" can have varying effects - from the OS not working properly, to apps not working properly, to "bricking" your device (also usually recoverable, but again using a detailed and methodical set of procedures) - to "crashing" your device to the point that restoring operation means send the phone in for replacement (which costs you $$$).

So - do a search on CB for "How to install a hybrid" - there is also a section "Blackberry 101" that contains info on how to wipe, how to install a new OS, etc. - READ the info, make sure you understand it - make sure you follow all the steps in the right order - and you should have no problems.

I hope this helps . . .
    thanks

installing the hybrid currently
    03-09-12 10:17 PM
    Don't be sorry brother. Be informed. Shoot, I'm a noob at many things, that I'm sure you excel in. When the time comes that I need to access your resources, I at least want to know what form of geek you speak

I'm here if you get stuck or really don't understand something you've read up on. We can switch to pm's at that point.
    just installed it

quite smooth till now
    Mecca EL and Blacklatino like this.
    03-09-12 10:23 PM
    Been running for a few hours now. Seems overall to be more responsive than .258. Battery is holding up pretty good.
    Mecca EL, rgshah3 and Blacklatino like this.
    03-09-12 10:40 PM
    Early Impressions-
    this os is awesome!

cant comment on the battery life so early but it seems to be dropping at a very high rate i'll allow the os to settle for a few hours

this is so smooth and have got no lags till now
    browser is very smooth and much better than the .258 browser where my speeds were reduced drastically

overall amazing!
    i'm in love with it
    03-09-12 11:35 PM
    Yeah! Kraski, true story
    I think we have a winner!
    Blacklatino, rgshah3 and Mecca EL like this.
    03-10-12 12:01 AM

Well, one thing your not a noob at is building hybrids. At least the .284 variety. Wifi is taking some of the load, so numbers away from wifi are likely to be higher, but I'm averaging 3-5% with BT on and in use. With the previous build (.258), using BT would add at least another 4-6% battery drain. So, after only 8 hours, I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing what the numbers will be when it settles in, several days from now!
    Mecca EL likes this.
    03-10-12 12:10 AM
89 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD