I'd like to hear your opinions on why I should keep or stay with Blackberry instead of switching to the iPhone.
    09-10-08 02:33 PM
    We can't tell you why you should stay with a phone, when ultimately the decision is up to you. IMO the Blackberry is a better phone, but in the end it is your opinion that matters. Take the time to research both phones, and make a decision on your needs on which one better suits you.
    09-10-08 02:36 PM
    What's going to matter is what's best for you since your the one using it. I like the blackberry over the iphone mainly for the keyboard. Just can't get use to the touch screen keyboard.
    09-10-08 02:38 PM
    Just look at how many people are leaving the iphone and coming back to BlackBerry.
    09-10-08 02:53 PM
    Because there are plenty of people leaving Blackberries and going to iPhone and staying with them. That's like saying look at how many customers left Verizon and went to AT&T, but not looking at how many customers left AT&T and went to Verizon.

Just pick the device that fits your needs. I would suggest going and picknig up one and use it for the 30 days (if it takes you that long to determine if it's right for you) and deciding for yourself. No one can really tell you which device is best for you. There are people that hate blackberries and love iPhones and there are people who hate iPhones and love blackberries. And then there are those that prefer neither and like a Windows Mobile device. Try for YOURSELF and make the best decision for you. I have both because I couldn't make up my mind lol.
    Last edited by Garz; 09-10-08 at 03:16 PM.
    09-10-08 02:59 PM
    Because there are plenty of people leaving Blackberries and going to iPhone and staying with them. That's like saying look at how many customers left Verizon and went to AT&T, but not looking at how many customers left AT&T and went to Verizon.

Just pick the device that fits your needs. I would suggest going and picknig up one and use it for the 30 days (if it takes you that long to determine if it's right for you) and deciding for yourself. No one can really tell you which device is best for you. There are people that hate blackberries and love iPhones and there are people who hate iPhones and love blackberries. And then there are those that prefer neither and like a Windows Mobile device. Try for YOURSELF and make the best decision for you. I have both because I couldn't make up my mind lol.
    Lucky you, I am hoping to get a Treo + Thunder + iPhone. It's true whatever device you decide to buy really depends on your needs and sometimes the requirement of your company. I know some companies were evaluating the iphone for their business use but eventually decided to use Blackberry just because the BB is securer and easier to manage.
    09-10-08 04:25 PM
    If you have to ask, you don't deserve a Blackberry. lol jk
    09-10-08 04:33 PM
    Blackberry is more affordable in terms of the fees ... I think iPhone works out to $1.2k/year!
    09-10-08 04:39 PM
    my question to you is why would you want an iPhone? I mean I had an iPhone and dropped it for Blackberry. The iPhone looks nice, but thats about it
    09-10-08 04:47 PM
    Eh, I have both... and use both.
    09-10-08 04:48 PM
    I was in Rogers today Looking at the BB Bold, the Rogers Rep was who uses neither. Said Apart from the iPhone the Bold has the nicest Screen he has seen yet,

You have to decide what BB you want as well to compare to the iPhone, the Bold looks like it takes the Curve quite a bit so if your debate is Curve vs iphone, add the Bold into the mix, and the crisper screen argument might just go out the window
    09-10-08 05:00 PM
    I do get sick of these threads......I say go try the competition. If you like it, good for you, if not, come on back and be happy!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-08 05:15 PM
    For one, they last forever, unlike some cheap a** other phone. My Treo had some good points but the thing had crome flaking off and battery drainage galore.

The iphone? Please, who wants a phone that you can only have a touch screen with!?!
    09-10-08 06:32 PM
    one of my co-workers got an iphone and I played around with it, and almost threw it in the trash.
    09-10-08 06:43 PM
    I agree with other posts, that only you can decide what works for you! You have to consider several things....the phone, the carrier, what combination is right for you where you live.
    09-10-08 06:51 PM
    If you want songs and movies = iPhone
    e-mail and durable = blackberry

web browser = mac book
    09-10-08 06:51 PM
    First, everyone who said this is a personal decision is absolutely right. It depends to a large extent on your needs and the primary applications you use most heavily.

I have been a Blackberry user since the first pager devices, and have had pretty much every Blackberry AT&T released. I am a heavy business email and text user, and along with good phone service that is what is most important to me.

But I also listen to music a lot and do a lot of web stuff, so that has been increasingly important to me as well. Unlike a lot of folks, I generally have my laptop with me with broadband wireless, and I never got into carrying an ipod or similar device. But I have always wanted a machine that could do it all.

When the iPhone came out I got one almost immediately because it seemed to have everything in one package. I wanted to love it, but I returned it after the 30 day trial period and continue to use my dying Blackberry Curve, waiting anxiously for the Bold.

Here's what I can tell you from my experience. The iPhone is an amazing device, beyond cool in many ways. Unfortunately for me at least (and I think for many others) it has several fatal flaws, which I cannot believe Apple has never addressed:

1. Keyboard. For someone with larger hands who composes lots of emails, the keyboard is frustrating to the point of such inefficiency as to make it unusable for me. Since this is my primary application it became a deal breaker, and believe me I tried. The keyboard only works in portrait mode, e.g. with the phone vertical, and consequently the keys are fairly small and close together, and because of the slick material on the sides, its not easy to hold in position to do thumb typing. I found myself constantly touching the wrong key accidentally and having to backspace to correct misspellings.

But here's the part that doesn't make sense. Most applications on the iPhone rotate when the phone is turned horizontally. For instance the keyboard for the browser rotates, and in the landscape mode it is terrific-- much easier to hold and use. Despite thousands of requests and complaints from users on their discussion forums, however, Apple has to this day refused to add that function to email or text.

2. Stereo headphones. One of the major attractions to me was the integration of an iPod type device into the phone. I often use bluetooth headphones with my Blackberry because the sound for the telephone is so much better than a single headset, and when I'm not talking I can listen to music. Imagine my disappointment when I found out that the iPhone does not support stereo bluetooth headphones and still doesn't! What is that about? Their users have been all over Apple about this, but so far no go.

In the meantime the Curve has become a more than capable multi-media device and the Bold promises to be even better. I installed a third party album cover program which is a terrific interface, and I can load as much music or video as I want and play it on my Curve. Also I am not shackled by iTunes as the gatekeeper to the device-- I can simply treat it as another disk drive and manage the files however I want.

3. Battery. I can't tell you how many times I run down my battery in situations where I can't hook the phone up to charge while I'm using it. With the Blackberry all I have to do is pop open the back and swap batteries. The iPhone is sealed (presumably to achieve its slim design) so if your battery dies, you're done. Not acceptable for my style of working.

4. Additional memory. The Blackberry Curve has a micro-SD slot (admittedly a pain to get to and change, but nevertheless available) while the iPhone has no capacity for additional memory. That means you can't load up different stuff and swap it out easily, or expand the internal memory. That wouldn't be a deal breaker, but it is another chip on the Blackberry side of the pile.

5. Cut and paste. Equally hard to understand, the iPhone does not support copy and paste. Makes no sense, and makes it a much less useful business device. Again, this is something users have clamored for, which Apple has also ignored.

These were the main issues which kept me in the Blackberry camp. Others claim Blackberries are more solid but I do not think that is true. I have broken and worn out every Blackberry I've ever owned, and am sure I'd do the same with the iPhone. If you carry something around all day every day, drop it, put it in an out of bags, pockets, etc., its going to get roughed up and break. That wouldn't make me choose one over the other. Also, until recently there were no third-party apps for the iPhone. That is changing, but at least so far, there are far more apps for Blackberry which greatly expands its capabilities.

So from my perspective, if you are looking for a way cool iPod phone, don't care about Bluetooth stereo, and either aren't a heavy email and text user or are comfortable with the iPhone's keyboard, it's terrific and except for the reported network issues you'll love it. On the other hand if you're a business user, do a lot of typing, need lots of battery life, and want full bluetooth support, its Blackberry hands down.

HTH.
    09-10-08 07:54 PM
    Get an iPhone and test it out, if you don't like it then go back to your blackberry.

09-10-08 08:52 PM
    Its like this -

If you're a "Messaging" centric (Text, Email, IM's) person over everything else then stay with a blackberry.

If you're a "Multimedia" person (Music, Movies, TV Shows) first then try an Iphone.

Again it depends on which of these two things is primary in your book.
    09-10-08 10:37 PM
    You aren't serious are you? If so, and I'm not trying to be rude, but... I'll just stop there... Why do you need complete strangers to convince you of something only you yourself knows the answer to. Blackberrys aren't for everyone. And it sounds to me like my previous statement applies to you. Either you like the Berry enough to keep it or you don't. Its that simple. Black or white. There's no gray area.

09-10-08 10:59 PM
    Its like this -

If you're a "Messaging" centric (Text, Email, IM's) person over everything else then stay with a blackberry.
    Not necessarily true. I love my BBs, don't get me wrong, but the iPhone has the best SMS layout I have ever seen. The email is also laid out very nicely and is neat and clean. The only thing the BB has over the iPhone in this aspect would be the IM, as iPhone does not support applications that run in the background as of yet.
    09-10-08 11:15 PM
    I'd like to hear your opinions on why I should keep or stay with Blackberry instead of switching to the iPhone.
    You should not need our opinions or convincing... do what you want, it is your smartphone
    09-10-08 11:24 PM
    You aren't serious are you? If so, and I'm not trying to be rude, but... I'll just stop there... Why do you need complete strangers to convince you of something only you yourself knows the answer to. Blackberrys aren't for everyone. And it sounds to me like my previous statement applies to you. Either you like the Berry enough to keep it or you don't. Its that simple. Black or white. There's no gray area.

Can you use your fingernails to type unlike the iphone?
    Not necessarily true. I love my BBs, don't get me wrong, but the iPhone has the best SMS layout I have ever seen. The email is also laid out very nicely and is neat and clean. The only thing the BB has over the iPhone in this aspect would be the IM, as iPhone does not support applications that run in the background as of yet.
    I cant type on the iphone to save my life. It seems to work well for someone with little hands.
    09-10-08 11:28 PM
    Can you use your fingernails to type unlike the iphone?

I cant type on the iphone to save my life. It seems to work well for someone with little hands.
    Haha that's true too... I don't have a problem but I can imagine how it might be hard for someone with larger fingers!
    09-10-08 11:31 PM
    If you want us strangers to help you decide, could you at least post the reasons you are considering the Iphone and maybe what you like about your current phone. Honestly, I never understant these posts, a mobile phone is a personal decision you do not have to justify to anyone other than yourself. That being said, the folks here will give you an honest assessment even if it means you don't get a BB. Try that over at iLounge and see what response you get. So perhaps the best reason to go with BB is the good advice you will get from crackberry forum members.

09-11-08 12:01 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD