The 1 major thing I would love to see added to my 9930 is the addition of a touchscreen keypad for dialing the phone. It would be so much easier than using the physical keyboard. I'm not sure why BB didn't include this to begin with. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Btw, does BB have an email address for feedback on their devices?

thx
    03-08-12 04:29 PM
    As soon as you hit the green phone button, you have a dedicated number pad on the keyboard, right? Am I missing the point of this post here? That would be like adding an on screen keyboard too.....
    03-08-12 04:53 PM
    As soon as you hit the green phone button, you have a dedicated number pad on the keyboard, right? Am I missing the point of this post here? That would be like adding an on screen keyboard too.....

I think he is looking for a on screen one which would be nice!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    03-08-12 05:23 PM
    Yeah I think that would be kind of cool. But the buttons are nice and big on the 9900 compared to my old 9700 so I'm not complaining.
    03-08-12 06:21 PM
    Yes, you're missing the point of the post, because the OP actually DOES have a point.

I love the keyboard on my 9900, but I'll grant that for a new user, having the option of a touchscreen keypad with LARGER keys might be a plan.
    03-08-12 06:23 PM
    I think it is hard to make a good touch keypad with all the numbers on such a small screen. Specially for those of you with big fingers.
    03-08-12 08:17 PM
    Hi folks,

I thought the same thing why not have a touch phone dialer on the Bold 9900/9930, so I developed a touch keypad dialer for bold 9900/9930

Am thinking of putting it in app world what does everyone think? Is 50, 75, or 99 cents too much?

I would be glad to send it to Kevin to do a review, but don't know how to get in touch with him.

Here is a screen shot... given it to a few friends and they are happy with it.

Cheers
    Paul
    Last edited by pauln281; 03-08-12 at 10:50 PM.
    03-08-12 09:59 PM
    Green button for NUM LOCK? Where is the green button? I'm cell phone stupid
    03-08-12 11:21 PM
    I would be interested but I think it would be better to use all available real estate for the numbers and not waste space for that top line. As far as price, .99 would be fair. I don't think you can price it less, except for free. Also the main value for me would be during calls to type in passcodes, so it would have to be active during the call.
    03-08-12 11:23 PM
    pauln, I would pay for your app!
    03-08-12 11:26 PM
    Hi Katmandoitall...

Don't think we need a NUM lock, basically touch the screen numbers to dial, it adds it to the Dial a Number location, then when your done touch the DIAL location and it dials it.

The only thing I did not implement was pressing DEL key to delete a digit, but put in a menu item to delete a digit.

To start over, touch the # in the Dial a Number field and it clears it to start over.

cheers
    paul
    03-08-12 11:26 PM
    Hello JayInNJ,

Good point on being active during a call, did not think of that, I will look into it to see if it is doable, it is a basic HTML5 app.

cheers
    paul
    03-08-12 11:28 PM
    Hi folks,

I thought the same thing why not have a touch phone dialer on the Bold 9900/9930, so I developed a touch keypad dialer for bold 9900/9930

Am thinking of putting it in app world what does everyone think? Is 50, 75, or 99 cents too much?

I would be glad to send it to Kevin to do a review, but don't know how to get in touch with him.

Here is a screen shot... given it to a few friends and they are happy with it.

Cheers
    Paul
    That is a pretty good looking app and I agree with the OP there should have been one included with the 99x0 phones.
    03-09-12 08:43 AM
    Green button for NUM LOCK? Where is the green button? I'm cell phone stupid
    It's not green anymore.... it's the phone icon button on the left next to the menu button. On other devices the phone button is green and the end button is red.

Old habits die hard.
    03-09-12 09:46 AM
    thanks for the comments... I have started a higher level thread and sent the app to CB team to take a look. If they like it I will give version 1 for free.

Hi folks, I have posted the app here for free to download, enjoy !

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...59#post7327259

cheers
    paul
    Last edited by pauln281; 04-17-12 at 11:04 PM.
    03-09-12 10:52 AM
    Hi folks,

I'd give you $.99 for it no problem.
    shanxtweet likes this.
    03-09-12 08:51 PM
    If you want some constructive critique:

The column and row spacing is all over the place

The grid lines width is not uniform

Looks like it belongs in dos - have you seen the stock iphone or android dialers? Those look like modern apps. This looks like it belongs on an old Tandy dumb terminal. If someone takes your idea and makes it pretty, you don't stand a chance.

I find it kind of funny anyhow how people complain about dialing with the tiny number keys but have no problem banging out thousands of keystrokes typing words all day long. Same keys people.
    03-09-12 09:35 PM
    I have to get me one of these......9930, counting down the days
    03-09-12 09:43 PM
    Thanks kjjb0204

Yes the table is an html table so it is spaced based on the font etc and it is pretty basic as well I have seen the other dialers they are done well I just wanted something to work. I am also working on a version with gradient style graphics for a cleaner look but this is just a hobby

Cheers
    Paul
    03-09-12 10:06 PM
    A screen dialer could also include an on the fly selection of pre-call prefixes and/or post-dialing codes. Ideally selectable from a list of pre-listed options, or on the fly at time of dialing. Another Option could be to pre-determine a default pre and/or post selection for a call. These allow flexibility in project id, calling card use, security use, and with options to use pause for Input or pause for set time. The flexibility of BB Conference calling might be tapped into so as to allow more options. These are some of the functions I miss from when my Treo700p died. Would be great to have them again. The Treo I had also allowed for on the fly recording of the call so while driving you could take a note of a phone number, address, other key info without having to stop or now you can be fined for manually for taking a note on your BB screen. - fancy that!

Another option could be icon (hotkey/pre-defined) type dialing w/multiple panels of icons that could call, be multifunctional, or macro able.

Will watch to hear on your progress and let me know if you are looking for Beta Testers.
    03-09-12 10:09 PM
    Hey Paul have been looking for someone to develop this app for a while. Can you believe it that i gave away a BOLD 9900 that someone gifted me just because of this feature not being avlbl on the BOLD9900. I use the Torch 9800 and the single reason i havent moved is the dialpad / keypad issue. Will pay 99c for a half decent app and hopefully it gets better with time. But pls let us know if you really are going to develop and release it.- thanks, s
    04-11-12 02:54 PM
    The 1 major thing I would love to see added to my 9930 is the addition of a touchscreen keypad for dialing the phone. It would be so much easier than using the physical keyboard. I'm not sure why BB didn't include this to begin with. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Btw, does BB have an email address for feedback on their devices?

thx
    That's a great idea!
    04-11-12 03:08 PM
    Sounds great for an app. Would definitely like to see it in practice.
    04-11-12 03:25 PM
    I thought just that the first week or so when I first got me 9930. Used it daily to make phone calls for work. Honestly after the first week I got used to the keys. Still make mistakes entering numbers from time to time but it's never made me angry or feel like a hindrance.
    04-11-12 03:34 PM
    The on-screen dialpad is the only feature on my 9800 that I really missed when I upgraded to the 9900. Having the larger on-screen buttons makes it way easier to dial.

Yes, I think it should be integrated into the OS the same way it is on the Torch; when you hit the phone button you would have tabbed options to see either your previous calls (as it is now) or the on-screen keypad.

I don't think a third party app is going to be able to replicate the seamless interface; this needs to be written in to the OS.
    04-11-12 05:29 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD