03-07-12 10:19 PM
    While bridge is great, RIM is only hurting themselves with it. They will be launching a 3G capable PB in about a month. You don't think those will be the exact same prices for it?

While everyone with a BB already stating they won't buy one because of bridge, and people without a BB won't buy one because of the higher price(proven due to the price drop) then who will actually buy one?

Plus you don't need bridge nowadays, it's called wifi hotspot. Here in Canada at least it's built into the data plans. You don't have to pay more to tether.
    Last edited by joecastrignano; 03-07-12 at 10:29 PM.
    Skier1960 and JeffyPooh like this.
    03-07-12 10:26 PM
    In the US wifi hot spot is an extra cost.
    03-07-12 10:34 PM
    I will not buy a Playbook unless I have mobile data included on it. I do not want to turn on the Wifi hotspot of my Galaxy Nexus to use my tablet. I shouldn't have a need to do so. I want any tablets I buy to work everywhere for everything regardless of whether I bring my phone, turn it on, use bridge, or have Wifi hotspot features.
    03-07-12 10:34 PM
    While bridge is great, RIM is only hurting themselves with it. They will be launching a 3G capable PB in about a month. You don't think those will be the exact same prices for it?

While everyone with a BB already stating they won't buy one because of bridge, and people without a BB won't buy one because of the higher price(proven due to the price drop) then who will actually buy one?
    Those of us who have a separate work phone, those who want the blackberry/bbm experience but don't like the phone offerings, those who don't want to kill phone battery just tethering there are alot of reasons to want 4g/3g built into a tablet but its not for everyone.

Different strokes for different folks. Im sure that there will be a wifi only model and im also positive that the 4g model wont REQUIRE you to have a 4g data plan to use and enjoy...

options are always nice aren't they?
    03-07-12 10:36 PM
    It's great you don't have to pay extra for your wifi hotspot usage.

But here in the States you are charged an additional Data Package for using wifi hotspot, on top of any data package that is on your phone.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    03-07-12 10:36 PM
    I will not buy a Playbook unless I have mobile data included on it. I do not want to turn on the Wifi hotspot of my Galaxy Nexus to use my tablet. I shouldn't have a need to do so. I want any tablets I buy to work everywhere for everything regardless of whether I bring my phone, turn it on, use bridge, or have Wifi hotspot features.
    From what I have read on here, you are in the minority. Not that that is a bad thing. I just think RIM is shooting themselves in the foot for adding bridge and now trying to market a 3G tablet.

I have a feeling they will be writing down a lot of 3G PB inventory, esp with the higher price point.
    03-07-12 10:39 PM
    I love bridge, saves me $50 a month.....Playbook, the only tab that pays for itself. Don't hv a BB.....you will after Sept
    03-07-12 10:46 PM
    I love bridge, saves me $50 a month.....Playbook, the only tab that pays for itself. Don't hv a BB.....you will after Sept
    But that's my point, with current owners of BB's happy that bridge saves them money, and non BB owners buying the PB ONLY after the price cuts.

Why in the world would RIM even consider producing and selling a MORE expensive PB that current owners won't buy and non BB owners won't buy until the fire sale.
    03-07-12 10:52 PM

Plus you don't need bridge nowadays, it's called wifi hotspot. Here in Canada at least it's built into the data plans. You don't have to pay more to tether.

Maybe you don't need bridge but I sure do. How am I supposed to connect up riding down the highway (as a passenger of course)? Here in the US tethering most certainly costs extra. I use bridge in those cases and it works phenomenally well.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-07-12 10:56 PM
    Maybe you don't need bridge but I sure do. How am I supposed to connect up riding down the highway (as a passenger of course)? Here in the US tethering most certainly costs extra. I use bridge in those cases and it works phenomenally well.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    My point isn't about not needing bridge, my point is RIM shot themselves in the foot with it. It's an AMAZING feature that saves current BB owners a ton. But if you want to sell a 3G tablet, its not a feature you release. Especially since you will have to sell said tablet for a lot more than the $199 wifi only price point. And the wifi tablet only became popular at that price point.
    03-07-12 11:02 PM
    Those of us who have a separate work phone, those who want the blackberry/bbm experience but don't like the phone offerings, those who don't want to kill phone battery just tethering there are alot of reasons to want 4g/3g built into a tablet but its not for everyone.

Different strokes for different folks. Im sure that there will be a wifi only model and im also positive that the 4g model wont REQUIRE you to have a 4g data plan to use and enjoy...

options are always nice aren't they?
    But there is NO BBM on the PB, at least not until September. So buy it and wait 6 months for BBM?

And if you don't need a data plan to enjoy it, or won't be activating data. Why not buy the cheaper wifi only version?
    03-07-12 11:06 PM
    Figured I'd chime in on the 3G vs bridge thing.
    RIM wants people to buy a Playbook even if they don't have a BlackBerry to bridge to. A 3G playbook accomplishes that.
    Fmar, Skier1960 and 2ys4u like this.
    03-07-12 11:06 PM
    All I hear is a lot of people in the comments on Engadget saying their not paying those LTE prices for data....Long live bridge!
    yauchunh likes this.
    03-07-12 11:07 PM
    Figured I'd chime in on the 3G vs bridge thing.
    RIM wants people to buy a Playbook even if they don't have a BlackBerry to bridge to. A 3G playbook accomplishes that.
    I understand, but if no one was buying the tablet at a higher price point, why would they now? There is NO WAY they will be selling it for any less than $399 for the 16GB.

And if carriers are selling it, then it will be subsidized based on a contract. Based on what carriers are selling subsidized tablets for right now, I will assume it will be $249 on contract and $449-549 without.

Basically, I'm worried about another fire sale on these things, and RIMM having to eat the cost. Which will only hurt the stock and the way they are perceived in the press even more.
    auditman and robkd like this.
    03-07-12 11:10 PM
    I think having 2 data plans is just pointless.
    greeneriko likes this.
    03-07-12 11:13 PM
    All I hear is a lot of people in the comments on Engadget saying their not paying those LTE prices for data....Long live bridge!
    Just like everyone everywhere on every site said, NO we won't buy the IPhone 4S because it's a ty upgrade.

And then it went on to shatter the iPhone 4 sales record for pre orders. And from what I'm reading the same is happening with the new iPad's pre orders.
    03-07-12 11:14 PM
    Do you know how fast a phone battery drains when using WIFI hotspot?

I'll take bridge and even go for a 3G model if it is pay per month like the iPad. I got an iPad 2 3G last summer and only turned on data services when on vacation.
    03-07-12 11:21 PM
    I used the bridge on my playbook today with my 9900 while waiting for the youngest to finish at the clinic. The speeds were as fast as wifi, 14.4 mbps supposedly but I must admit it felt as fast. It was great actually. I watched other folks trying to log on to the wifi and fail as did I. It was really great to have the option of using my hspa+ and not have to worry about paying more but still enjoy wifi speeds in a spot without wifi.

There are lots of arguments to be made on all sides for various devices without a doubt. But the bottom line is, I surfed for free with my tablet on wifi speeds and I can do it whenever I want. That's a plus.
    robkd and greeneriko like this.
    03-07-12 11:30 PM
    Those prices are outrageous!!!!! I will stick to my BlackBerry tether thank you very much!
    03-07-12 11:37 PM
    I used the bridge on my playbook today with my 9900 while waiting for the youngest to finish at the clinic. The speeds were as fast as wifi, 14.4 mbps supposedly but I must admit it felt as fast. It was great actually. I watched other folks trying to log on to the wifi and fail as did I. It was really great to have the option of using my hspa+ and not have to worry about paying more but still enjoy wifi speeds in a spot without wifi.

There are lots of arguments to be made on all sides for various devices without a doubt. But the bottom line is, I surfed for free with my tablet on wifi speeds and I can do it whenever I want. That's a plus.
    I agree, already on psuedo 4G as far as I'm concerned with my bridge connection, as Bell is hspa+ standard where I am and currently only LTE in major Canadian cities. Web speeds are as fast as my wifi and your almost always going to have your cell phone with you. Mine is nearby 24/7 and doesn't need to be out in the open to work with the PB.

But the carriers probably wanted the data option for tablets and there must be a market for tablet only users, albeit a small one. Though from the data usage limits that they are showing for tablets in the U.S. and Canada, they are expecting heavy usage. Not sure if I see that with the widespread free wifi spots that exist. Personally, would just stick to wifi if the phone bridge or tethering wasn't available.
    03-08-12 12:05 AM
    But there is NO BBM on the PB, at least not until September. So buy it and wait 6 months for BBM?

And if you don't need a data plan to enjoy it, or won't be activating data. Why not buy the cheaper wifi only version?
    There are alot of ifs hidden in that statement, if there is no bbm on 4g pb, if it release next month, if the price is above present. All speculation but the fact remains it hurts No one to have the option available... It's not like your forced to use 4g just cause your pb has the ability.
    03-08-12 12:40 AM
    A 3G/4G Playbook makes sense for the Enterprise market, where companies make the purchasing in bulk and get the data services in bulk, i.e. with discounts. To cater to the Enterprise market, RIM needs to offer this as an option, especially when their competitors already do.
    03-08-12 01:12 AM
    They may say that now but if they bought the 4g capable version, they're fooling themselves. They already decoded to do it when they bought it haha
    03-08-12 02:37 AM
    Bridge works super.. And makes complete sense.. No need for a second data package.. Imo 1mbps+ speed is good enough.. And bt saves on battery compared to hotspot..

Pb + 3g is also good.. They should keep costs low and avoid 4g.. 4g crosses the fine line of practicality.. So do all the new features of the ipad..
    03-08-12 02:47 AM
107 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD