Getting ready to upgrade to the Bold 9930. I am looking for a good email spam application (third party). On my 9650 I am using MailMinder...but it's not compatiable for OS7. Can anyone recommend one for OS7? Thanks.
    03-06-12 02:42 PM
    I use email++ its a nice app and has a email filter for blocking emails. It also allows u to edit emails u receive and forward to them. It has other options too. Its available in app world or mobihand.
    Mojave and devcellent like this.
    03-06-12 03:33 PM
    +1 for Email++. Great app!
    devcellent likes this.
    03-06-12 08:00 PM
    Berrymail...
    03-06-12 08:29 PM
    Anyone else have any suggestions on a good email spam/filter app?

I tried Antair Spam Filter Live (they provide a 30 day trial). It's great and starts blocking spam without needing to configure any filter rules, but at $39/Month it's way too expensive.

I tried a free one called "Email Blocker" by Oswald Designs, but it doesn't automatically block spam out of the box. You have to add emails and filter text manually.

If you go to app world and just search on "spam" you will see a bunch of different ones. There are some inexpensive apps for under $5, but I would like to hear from anyone else as to what they might be using and it it's any good.
    07-09-12 02:50 PM
    I think Antair Spam Filter Live is $3.99/mo, not $39/mo.

I use Antair Spam Filter 3 (stand-alone client which has been replaced by the Live version and is no longer available).

HOWEVER, after years of procrastinating, I have switched over to using Gmail to filter my emails. Although I was aware of how to do this for years, I was reluctant to do so. First, I have had the same email address (ISP email address, not a gmail/hotmail/aol/etc. one) and had no desire to get a new address after 13 years. That said, over the years, spam had built up even though I felt I was careful (not careful enough I guess!).

I now forward all my ISP mail to a gmail address that no one sees, and set gmail's outbound mail to go out via my ISP's smtp server*. For the most part, no one can tell I am using gmail. Gmail traps 95% of the spam, so it doesn't get sent to my phone. A few false positives slip through but I just browse gmail periodically and mark any as "Not Spam" to help prevent that from happening in the future. Any spams that are missed, I just mark as spam to "teach" gmail that one it missed is spam.

*the ability to use my ISP's outbound smtp server instead of gmail's is relatively recent and what kept me from using gmail until now. I didn't want my emails coming from gmail, I wanted it to come from my ISP (or at least look like it did). My ISP is Shaw, and it has a restriction that outbound mail not sent from Shaw's IP range would not be allowed (same for Telus and a few others I believe), so mail sent via gmail could not go through Shaw's smtp servers. In summary, it can now be done and there are articles on the net on how to achieve this. It works perfectly. As a plus, my Shaw email was POP3 and got polled every 12 minutes, but now it's instantaneous like gmail/yahoo/msn/etc.; but the greatest plus was that gmail's spam filters were doing all the spam work for me now. Good luck.

EDIT/ADD: Just to add -- while a client side spam filter is nice to have, it's best to filter before the spam gets to your device (sure, I knew that too but still I procrastinated and used a client side filter). However, now, if I switch devices or even switch platforms (Android, iPhone, WP, whatever), I don't have to get a new client, my email will automatically be spam filtered as soon as I set up my email address on the new device -- no app configuring, retyping addresses/domains, etc.
    Last edited by Klotar; 07-10-12 at 03:32 PM.
    07-10-12 01:18 PM
    MailMinder has recently updated their app to be compatible with OS7! Before that I was using SRS Call SMS Email spam blocker which worked very well with OS7. I just happen to like MailMinder better. Both are excellent apps!
    07-10-12 02:48 PM
    Sorry for not responding sooner, but thanks for the suggestions guys .

@klotar - I think you're right it was 3.99 not 39!

Well, since last post I downloaded another .99 cent anti-spam app, but it was nothing more than an email blocker (cant remember name, as i already deleted it).

Here's what I ended up doing. For the problem email account, I configured a filter rule on my BIS account to not forward any mail to the device. Then I set up my Gmail.com account to retrieve the email from that account, which I then have my BIS configured for. Problem solved and no more spam.

The issue is spam on non gmail accounts. The account in this case was gmx.com and another at yahoo.ca. Since i get gmail to grab the mail, all the junk gets filtered by gmail's superior anti-spam system and nothing of the sort gets sent to my BB.

Of course it's not as fast as having BIS retrieve the mail (i think gmail polls every hour), but it'll do.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by terminatorx; 07-21-12 at 08:23 PM.
    07-21-12 08:19 PM
    07-23-12 04:58 PM
    Anyone else have any suggestions on a good email spam/filter app?

I tried Antair Spam Filter Live (they provide a 30 day trial). It's great and starts blocking spam without needing to configure any filter rules, but at $39/Month it's way too expensive.

I tried a free one called "Email Blocker" by Oswald Designs, but it doesn't automatically block spam out of the box. You have to add emails and filter text manually.

If you go to app world and just search on "spam" you will see a bunch of different ones. There are some inexpensive apps for under $5, but I would like to hear from anyone else as to what they might be using and it it's any good.
    I tried Spam Filter by Ajani. Total waste of money. Does not do what it says in the promo. Does nothing more than block exact addresses. Lacks the ability to learn from variations in spam addresses. Also an outragous price for apps that do the same thing for $0.99.
    08-18-12 02:22 PM
    Agreed.

A on-client spam filter has to not only support address blacklists (and whitelists), and domain blacklists (and whitelists) but also be "smart" enough, using heuristics, to decide what is and what isn't spam.

While no such heuristic algorithms would be perfect (there will be missed spams and false positives), relying on email address blacklists only will not stop spam. Spammers are smart enough not to use the same email addresses twice; so adding a spam to your blacklist doesn't do much good other than build up your blacklist. Sure, those would still be good enough for monthly ads that you don't want to read on your BB, but you can often just unsubscribe from those or set up BIS filters.

Additionally, keyword blacklists would help stop spam (keywords such as men's health, pr0n, male enhancement, etc.). All of these, email black/white lists, domain black/white lists, keywords and a heuristic engine is what it takes to be an effective client-side spam blocker. Anything less would be... not doing the job.

That said, as I mentioned earlier, gmail makes for a good, cheap, non-client side filter. Not only can you just set up filter rules on gmail for not sending ads to your device that you do want to read later on a desktop browser, but gmail also traps spam automatically using their own heuristics. Plus you can unmark false positives as not spam and teach it what isn't spam if it marks something as spam inadvertently. Spam is also kept for a certain number of days JUST in case you have to go hunting for an email that you never got.
    08-20-12 11:14 AM
    MailMinder works on OS 7
    08-20-12 01:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD