My IMAP accounts are setup in my Playbook 2.0, but I've noticed that older messages in my Inbox (i.e. from Jan. 16th) doesn't appear in the Playbook Inbox.

Is there a time limit for how long an email in the Outlook Inbox will appear in the PB IMAP Inbox?

thanks in advance!
    03-03-12 04:27 AM
    Check the settings on your BlackBerry PlayBook under Accounts. However, it seems the software developers did a poor job of implementing RFC-compliant IMAP services. By default IMAP messages remain on the server indefinitely until explicitly deleted. The BlackBerry PlayBook on the other hand seems to delete them based on a setting. Very odd behavior even for an email client application.
    03-03-12 04:36 AM
    i _think_ they purposely did not download all your mail. I have tens of thousands of emials in my gmail inbox (I never delete anything). If you have gmail your inbox is 8 Gbs... A 16Gb playbook has 14.1 Gb of free space. It wouldnt work out really well.
    03-03-12 06:47 AM
    By default IMAP messages remain on the server indefinitely until explicitly deleted. The BlackBerry PlayBook on the other hand seems to delete them based on a setting.
    I have seen complaints about the PlayBook deleting messages on a POP server when those messages are deleted on the PlayBook (effectively synchronizing the server).

I don't think I have read other complaints of the PlayBook deleting messages on an IMAP server. Have you seen this yourself? Under what conditions? It would be normal to delete a message on the server if the same message is deleted on the PlayBook.

For an ActiveSync account, the PlayBook has an option named "Message Sync Timeframe." Does an IMAP account have the same option?

When a message is older than the "Message Sync Timeframe," I would imagine that it would disappear from the PlayBook (but of course remain on the server).

Some email clients on mobile devices do not seem to be designed to hold all the email on a IMAP or ActiveSync server. They just provide a window into the most recent emails and certain selected subfolders. Windows Phone has a similar option for ActiveSync accounts. I have read that the "indefinite" option actually means 6 months.
    03-03-12 06:54 AM
    I have similar dropped emails using an exchange server account. If I leave my wifi connection turned on and then drive home, I notice that the email tries to resync. Most of the time it skips entire days worth of mail. I will get Mondays then skips to Thurday, Friday, etc. My contacts and Calendar attached to the same account are not affected.

I have found that if I leave the mail app opened and turn off wifi before leaving work and then reconnect to wifi when arriving at home the mail app will not try to resync or drop messages. I also keep the bridge connection to the phone on.
    03-03-12 08:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD