Didnt like BeeJive or IM+

I was able to get the AIM application on my 8300 on AT&T working though.

It works pretty well might I add.

If anyone out there in CrackBerry land would like the AIM application on their phones follow this link:
    How to get AIM 2.0 (Sprint & T-Mobile) - PinStack.com - BlackBerry forums

If you do this, make sure that you have edited the aim.alx file to remove all traces of the vendorid=100

Now i followed that the first time and it got aim on the device but couldnt get it to sign on.

Tonight i downloaded the newest OS from the Sticky. With that i noticed in the Java folder that it had all the .cod files for AIM. So if you install the newest OS, and edit the aim.alx you should be good to go!
    Last edited by KillingWthASmile; 09-09-08 at 09:10 PM. Reason: added instructions
    09-09-08 08:39 PM
    Tonight i downloaded the newest OS from the Sticky.
    is that .55?
    09-10-08 02:56 PM
    how do u edit the aim.alx or delete those files ur saying? can you give more thorough directions please. like with sending service books and everything. id love to have aim on my 8300. please help thank you!
    09-10-08 04:07 PM
    is that .55?
    Yes the newest OS for the 8300 series according to the Sticky on this forum is 4.5.0.55 (Platform 2.7.0.68)
    09-10-08 04:21 PM
    how do u edit the aim.alx or delete those files ur saying? can you give more thorough directions please. like with sending service books and everything. id love to have aim on my 8300. please help thank you!
    First id make sure you download the newest operating system and desktop manager softwares.

Install the operating system to your computer but dont plug the phone in yet.

Navigate to C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion

Once you've gotten there, open the AppLoader folder and delete the Vendor.xml file

Go back to the Research In Motion file and then open up the Shared folder, then the Loader Files folder.

Locate the folder for the operating system which is "8300-v4.5.0.55_P2.7.0.68"

To edit the aim.alx file you have to open it with a text editor like word pad. I prefer to use TextPad (TextPad - the text editor for Windows) for editing them. What you do is eliminate all traces of _vendorID=100.

If you follow the original link i posted someone on pinstack has actually uploaded their aim.alx file that has all the _vendorID text removed, or if you'd like i can send you my aim.alx

Theres further instructions for optimizing such as removing the theme .cod files you dont want, as well as the tmo.cod file and the push to talk .cod file so they arent installed on the device. If you'd like to know them PM me and ill reply, or i'll come back and post them here.
    09-10-08 04:34 PM
    what service books are you using???
    09-10-08 07:25 PM
    The service books are provided from one of the good guys over on the pinstack thread. Follow the link that i posted at the top of the page and everything will be available to you.
    09-10-08 07:37 PM
    nvm got it to work.. dl now
    Last edited by chinh8310; 09-10-08 at 11:41 PM.
    09-10-08 11:36 PM
    how do i upload the service books from pinstack onto my phone and still keep my service books or resend mine? i have cingular 8300 will this work? what are the instructions after deleting the vendorID=100 files. also i dled the aim.axl from pinstack also what do i do with that? im sorry im pretty newb at this. please help.
    Last edited by darylxnelson; 09-11-08 at 02:08 AM.
    09-11-08 01:43 AM
    Darylxnelson follow this link http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/att...-8310-a-36345/

Its a thread from this forum. The steps are to get the service books for YM onto AT&T Devices. Follow the same steps described on that link to upload your AIM service books, re-register with the network, and then re-send your service books.

Did you download the edited aim.alx file that is available on Page 3 of the pinstack thread from user NotYaAverageBro?

Once you have that copy, open up your loader file for the new OS and paste that aim.alx file over the original in the Loader Files folder.

Follow this link to John Clark's post on BlackBerry Forums.com for the optimizing that I mentioned earlier. http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ee-memory.html
    09-11-08 06:14 AM
    would this work for the 8820 on ATT as well? or this is only for the 83xx series?
    09-11-08 10:04 AM
    okay im about to do it. i copied the aim.alx file from notyouravgbro over the old aim.alx. so first i upload the dudes service books right? and then resend mine? then what? will the aim.alx loader just load onto my bb?
    09-11-08 11:32 AM
    Instructions can be seen here as well: Installing AIM on a Blackberry that doesn't want it

Download the aim.alx http://www.dbattery.com/bbaim/aim.alx
    Place the aim.alx in the following path C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8310-v4.5.0.69_P2.7.0.72 (I am running 4.5.0.69, yours will be different)
    http://www.dbattery.com/bbaim/bbdm1.jpg
    Open up Blackberry Manager and click on Application Loader
    http://www.dbattery.com/bbaim/wooaim.jpg
    You will now see AIM in the list, check it and hit next to complete this step.
    Now download the Service Books from http://www.dbattery.com/bbaim/Service_Books.ipd
    Use Desktop Manager again and click on Backup and Restore
    http://www.dbattery.com/bbaim/buprestore.jpg
    Click Advanced
    http://www.dbattery.com/bbaim/servicebooks.jpg
    Click File > Open > Choose Service_Books.ipd and send it over.
    Once this is done AIM will now work on your phone. It least its done for me.
    -Dave
    Last edited by bigdave914; 09-11-08 at 06:54 PM. Reason: I can post links now! - Changed img to url to save me some banwidth
    09-11-08 11:55 AM
    I hope this one is 9
    09-11-08 11:56 AM
    And YAY #10
    09-11-08 11:57 AM
    thanks bigdave. u think this will work for cingular 8300?
    09-11-08 12:48 PM
    I don't see why not worked fine on my 8310.
    09-11-08 01:01 PM
    Nice going bigdave!

let us know if you get it working darylxnelson.
    09-11-08 02:17 PM
    update: my phone finally got the aim app. it worked perfectly. followed bigdave and killingwithasmiles instructions. aim on my cingular 8300 works thanks guys!
    09-11-08 04:10 PM
    glad i was finally able to semi help someone
    09-11-08 04:22 PM
    yeah u did haha thank you
    09-11-08 06:42 PM
    Did you use any of the Optimizing steps on the link i posted to blackberry forums?
    09-12-08 06:11 AM
    i followed big dave's instructions and it works great!!! goodlooks on this post ppl!!
    09-12-08 10:16 AM
    hey guys i'm a newb but somewhat computer savvy, i'm trying to get aim on my at&t 8310 and i'm following these directions but can't find the shared folder that i need here: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8310-v4.5.0.69_P2.7.0.72
    it just isn't there, is there something i'm missing
    thanks
    09-12-08 11:35 AM
    Ok, I have the aim app on my phone, but when I try to add the service book using desktop manager it's greyed out and it says "databases that are unavailable in the list have been configured for wireless synchronization or wireless backup and are read-only. You cannot restore or clear them" What does this mean and how can I fix this?
    09-12-08 11:54 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD