I sideloaded the WhatsApp for Playbook app. It installed and appeared to run just fine until i try to set it up. It asks me for my phone number which i dutifully give. However, to complete the set up, whatsapp will send me a text and will verify whether i got the text or not. if i got it, set up will proceed, but if it found out that i did not get it, set up will not proceed.

However, since this is the playbook and not a phone, it will not receive the text or call needed to complete the set up.

Any work around?

I already have whatsapp on my phone using my phone number, and it works well. But i wanted to set it up on my PB too...
    02-29-12 09:02 AM
    Get them to send you the text. Remember the 3 digit code. Ask to then have them call you instead of text. Hang up immediately. Enter 3 digit code when prompted to.

I did the same and it worked however the version of whatsapp is too old and it prompts me to upgrade. So if someone has the latest version of the bar file then link it here please.

Cheers
    sbx9900 likes this.
    02-29-12 09:57 AM
    Thanks. That's what happened. i got the code, however, i was also told that the version was too old.

I will just find a newer version then...
    02-29-12 11:18 AM
    good work around...

Whatsapp is technically not supposed to work on a PB or anything that isn't a phone. iPad doesn't do whatsapp either.

Its supposed to use your phone data to send the IM....not sure what it uses if you're not on a data plan?
    02-29-12 11:22 AM
    It can use wifi, reason for the phone number is that it uses that sort of like a bbpin to dictate where msgs go, kinda like SMS. If I remember correctly, it's posted in their faq.
    02-29-12 11:36 AM
    I sideloaded the WhatsApp for Playbook app. It installed and appeared to run just fine until i try to set it up. It asks me for my phone number which i dutifully give. However, to complete the set up, whatsapp will send me a text and will verify whether i got the text or not. if i got it, set up will proceed, but if it found out that i did not get it, set up will not proceed.

However, since this is the playbook and not a phone, it will not receive the text or call needed to complete the set up.

Any work around?

I already have whatsapp on my phone using my phone number, and it works well. But i wanted to set it up on my PB too...

pls lemme knw the link from where u downloaded whatsapp..
    03-09-12 02:31 PM
    Have downloaded the latest whatsapp, and it's great!

Is there a easy way of sending all of my contacts from my phone to the android Emulator on the PlayBook. Otherwise you have to enter all the contacts manually

If anyone has any suggestions, please give a shout!

Thanks
    03-13-12 04:05 AM
    OH.. I was actually converting the Android version of Whatsapp to .BAR file and sideloaded it to Playbook... Its loads fine.

I gave up when I dont know how to fix the problem on the phone number issue.

- Charles
    03-13-12 04:12 AM
    Have downloaded the latest whatsapp, and it's great!

Is there a easy way of sending all of my contacts from my phone to the android Emulator on the PlayBook. Otherwise you have to enter all the contacts manually

If anyone has any suggestions, please give a shout!

Thanks
    WhatsApp for Android
    03-13-12 04:21 AM
    Thanks for the workaround. There is no need to have them call you. When you input your number, an SMS will be sent to your phone. You will then need to enter this three digit code (after waiting like 5 minutes). Then viola.. you are done

- Charles
    Last edited by chaddeus; 03-13-12 at 04:51 AM.
    03-13-12 04:23 AM
    I been playing with the Whatsapp application. Its working and almost all functions are ok but since I dont have any contacts on my PB, I need to create new contacts. I did try to talk to people on the new contacts that I created and its seems ok.

But I am going to remove this app. Why would I want to chat when I have a good Blackberry 9900 with a great keyboard to type on?

- Charles
    03-13-12 06:20 AM
    "Failure - Sorry, WhatsApp was unable to complete initialization. Please check that you are connected to the INternet and try again. Please reboot your phone if your connection problems persists."

Tried on an existing account and on a fresh one.
    06-13-12 01:22 AM
    It worked fine on 2.1 beta, I had the same error on 2.0.1.358
    06-13-12 01:47 AM
    am also having the same problem..ne solution to it?
    07-01-12 03:49 AM
    anyone convert latets whatsapp.apk to .bar ? mine the oldest version 1..can someone?
    07-01-12 07:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD