Since RIM is investing heavily in BBM as a social platform, I think it would make sense to get BBM onto the Playbook ASAP. RIM already has a full BBM API for phones and is encouraging social apps. These apps can only be used by BB phone users.

Since the Playbooks are being sold at a deep discount, many are landing in the hands of people whose phone is not a Blackberry. If 2.0 had BBM, there would be many people who don't own BB phones getting to try BBM wherever wifi is available. This might make Playbook owners think more about getting a BB phone than any of the current Be Bold campaign. A test drive sells more cars than any ad.

Just a thought.
    02-28-12 04:48 PM
    I don't know if it's a social ecosystem where my friends are...even with the Twitter and Facebook integration, I have been weary about pasting my activity to my BBM profile..cuz no one else on my list is hahaha...
    02-28-12 04:57 PM
    Of course they're working on BBM for the playbook. It's only a matter of time until we get it
    02-28-12 07:05 PM
    Of course they're working on BBM for the playbook. It's only a matter of time until we get it
    'Time' is the critical word here. It could have potentially been a nice little upsell for RIM if non-BB phone Playbook owners could give it a whirl.
    02-28-12 08:42 PM
    Good idea. I can see how sales would increase if PB users got the chance use BBM like the rest of the BB users. They will get there when they get there.
    02-28-12 08:49 PM
    BBM is not a feature you will likely see on a wifi only device. BB users pay to use BB servers. BBM travels on those servers. It's part of what makes it secure. If it comes on wifi only, you are using BBM via wifi through their server (I'd imagine) for free. Doesn't make any business sense for them. When we get a 3G device it'll have BBM.
    02-28-12 11:56 PM
    I'd be happy with just being able to send and receive pin messages, outside of bbm. THAT was more of a upset to me, but the OPEN is totally right.
    02-29-12 12:35 AM
    I dunno, but if RIM were to push BBM into wifi only playbooks, the only way they could do this is to take the PIN of any BB that is currently subscribed to BIS. And whenever the playbook sends / receives it, it uses that ID. I dunno but RIM must have some way to detect if a certain PIN is still valid to connect to their servers because carriers are connecting to them via BIS anyways.

This is beneficial for users with a PlayBook and a BB Phone, the downside of this is that people will be forced to buy BB Phones.

Though if the 4G PlayBook comes out, it wouldn't be a problem.
    02-29-12 12:36 AM
    Until I can exclude select BBM contacts from status updates, the BBM social integration is meaningless, if not outright annoying. I don't need my ex-wife (use to discuss co-parenting issues), or my clients to know when I'm playing Brain Cube Reloaded, or when I check into a local lounge for a cheeseburger and beer.
    02-29-12 09:12 AM
    Until I can exclude select BBM contacts from status updates, the BBM social integration is meaningless, if not outright annoying. I don't need my ex-wife (use to discuss co-parenting issues), or my clients to know when I'm playing Brain Cube Reloaded, or when I check into a local lounge for a cheeseburger and beer.

Then you can also opt not to receive status updates and you can deny permissions for BBM connected apps to update your BBM status.

What's the issue?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-29-12 09:17 AM
    Then you can also opt not to receive status updates and you can deny permissions for BBM connected apps to update your BBM status.

What's the issue?

I think my point is that without the ability to filter BBM status updates from select users, the only choice is to either update everyone, or disable the permission, and nobody gets my social updates. The thing is, I might want some of my contacts to be updated, and the current update model doesn't allow for that.
    02-29-12 09:52 AM
    What I want for BBM is the social feed app integer with it so I can view my friend's post from Facebook, twitter, linkedin, google+, windows live and BBM (and others) in one app (with filter). I can update my status in more than one social platform at the time (with check boxes and and the ability to make group of person from different plateform). I'd love to use BBM to chat with all of them to. Just have to create an account on differents IM service and use only BBM to send message to all of them. Think about it, open BBM and select a contact, Write a message, select the service (check boxes again) and your friend receive the message on all service at the time. Like that, BBM would be really cross platform without the need to be aviable to other platform. Blackberry user will continue to use BBM even if all their friends are on other plateform. And Blackberry will have something others don't have. Instead of developping an app for each service, dev will develope pluggin that we can ad to BBM. Instead of switchin from one app to another, we will use only one app. Only one app to rule them all.
    02-29-12 10:31 AM
    I love the topic of your thread; and how you've incorporated social interaction and technology, which only makes sense. People used to use the telephone to communicate; and could only communicate within the boundaries of telephone poles and wires. Now, we still communicate via technology, but the mediums are more mobile. I think that if BBM was available for the Playbook, it would be a great promotional tool for RIM/BlackBerry and a good introduction to the device(s) that potential BlackBerry users could use. I agree with the original poster about how the discount in PlayBooks will allow people without a BlackBerry to buy the product. One of my close friends from school has a PlayBook, but not a smartphone. If I could BBM her, it would be so much fun; and she might be more interested in a phone that could help her contact with her friends who do have a BlackBerry. It would be nice if RIM got more sponsorship. To be honest, I don't really want a tablet; but the only ones I see that do kind of intrigue me are PlayBooks. So if I were to get a tablet, it'd be a PlayBook. If it had BBM (and it already has Internet access and App World, so I think BBM would be a logical next step), it would be a great way to show the flexibility and innovation that RIM is known for.
    02-29-12 10:52 AM
    BBM is not a feature you will likely see on a wifi only device. BB users pay to use BB servers. BBM travels on those servers. It's part of what makes it secure. If it comes on wifi only, you are using BBM via wifi through their server (I'd imagine) for free. Doesn't make any business sense for them. When we get a 3G device it'll have BBM.
    When I'm not in an area with a connection to my mobile services, I can use BBM over wifi from my phone.
    02-29-12 11:45 AM
    When I'm not in an area with a connection to my mobile services, I can use BBM over wifi from my phone.

Yes, but a phone, unlike a pure WiFi device has a fallback connection in the radio. I don't see BBM on a device that can only connect via WiFi.

02-29-12 11:51 AM
    Exactly. But you pay for the use of those RIM servers with your phone, not with your wifi only PlayBook.
    02-29-12 11:55 AM
    Exactly. But you pay for the use of those RIM servers with your phone, not with your wifi only PlayBook.
    That's the point. Ur still paying a subscription fee of sorts.
    03-01-12 01:15 AM
    What I want for BBM is the social feed app integer with it so I can view my friend's post from Facebook, twitter, linkedin, google+, windows live and BBM (and others) in one app (with filter). I can update my status in more than one social platform at the time (with check boxes and and the ability to make group of person from different plateform). I'd love to use BBM to chat with all of them to. Just have to create an account on differents IM service and use only BBM to send message to all of them. Think about it, open BBM and select a contact, Write a message, select the service (check boxes again) and your friend receive the message on all service at the time. Like that, BBM would be really cross platform without the need to be aviable to other platform. Blackberry user will continue to use BBM even if all their friends are on other plateform. And Blackberry will have something others don't have. Instead of developping an app for each service, dev will develope pluggin that we can ad to BBM. Instead of switchin from one app to another, we will use only one app. Only one app to rule them all.
    That sounds a lot like the messaging app on PB 2.0 to me.
    03-01-12 08:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD