Next time your torch freezes up, instead of pulling your battery, try holding down all 4 buttons on the front minus the trackpad.

I was hoping and praying for a reboot without taking my otterbox defender off...as I have a slight crack in one of the notches and don't want to stress it any more if I don't have to. I gave it a shot and out of frustration started pushing and holding buttons trying to get anything to budge on the screen, app switcher would have been great..

Finally I pressed End, Back, BB key, and Send all at once and held anywhere from maybe 10-30 seconds? I got the black screen which always makes my heart freeze, then the red led light...then sure enough the blackberry loading screen! =) I figure I'd share this in case anyone might find it useful! I know I miss the alt, shift, delete soft reboot option on this touchscreen device, and I figured there HAD to be a way to do it! Feel free to comment if it works for you. I don't really want to try it again until I have to! Vzw 9850/7.1.0.163
    Last edited by DeedleBugDee; 02-28-12 at 02:25 AM.
    02-28-12 02:21 AM
    That's an interesting find. This is exactly why I have Meterberry and QuickLaunch installed. They provide a reboot function and I don't have to remove the case when I need a reset.

Will try your method if the phone ever freezes up and can't access the apps. Thanks.
    02-28-12 08:21 AM
    Yes, please report back with your findings. �hopefullly we won't need to use it, but we all know our BBs lock up every now and then.
    02-28-12 08:51 AM
    Well I tried OP, but I could never get that combination to work for me. Guess I'll have to stick with "deLightReset" for my reboot (which works great). Thank you for your suggestion tho.
    02-28-12 10:20 AM
    I can't get this to work. I don't have extremely large fingers, and I'm finding it hard to hold all four buttons at once. Is there a trick to this?
    02-28-12 10:37 AM
    Didn't work for me either... I use QL for daily reboots and pull battery for the occasional freeze.
    02-28-12 02:54 PM
    That will not work OP. What happenned is your device just rebooted because it was caught in an unrecoverable loop. Eventually - Java runs out of all resources - causing a re-boot. Hence why Java is dead.
    02-28-12 05:28 PM
    I saw this on another thread around here, but if you are on VZW, and are able to get to the dialing function of the phone, dial ##000000 (that's 6 zeroes), and in the password field, type: vzw
    then, go menu > save
    and voila! soft reboot.
    02-28-12 07:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD