Hello,
    am traveling to turkey and am afraid of the roaming fees, but i need to use GPS with maps, so is there any software i can use to download the maps and work without data plan
    02-26-12 12:37 AM
    anybody there?
    02-29-12 10:09 AM
    There are not very many solutions for offline maps on BlackBerry.

You might look at TrekBuddy or Mobile GMaps to see if they cover the area in which you are interested.

Alternately, it might be more better to look at a standalone handheld GPS unit.
    02-29-12 11:08 AM
    You could try to use http://m.maps.nokia.com

This one allows you to download some maps when using WI-FI, so you can use the maps offline later.
    02-29-12 12:17 PM
    You could try to use Nokia Maps

This one allows you to download some maps when using WI-FI, so you can use the maps offline later.
    I doubt a nokia website would help. But if it uses the same maps caches, it might just be awesome as a tool. I'll try that to make sure it works. I also recommend the OP to get the blackberry unlocked and then use a prepaid sim card to avoid any roaming fees.

Edit: It works, but is a but cumbersome. It would very much likely work on wifi via the browser which I tried. But if you aren't in a wifi location, you'll be out of luck. Seemingly, if you disable data services, it won't work at all.
    Last edited by Rootbrian; 02-29-12 at 02:18 PM.
    02-29-12 02:15 PM
    so the blackberry maps wont work in wifi with data line?
    Thanks
    03-03-12 04:50 AM
    BlackBerry Maps requires an active BlackBerry Data Plan. With a BlackBerry Data Plan, however, it will work over WiFi.
    03-03-12 06:11 AM
    This is one down side I see of blackberry. The fact you have to continually download bits of map data while using GPS. As for nokia handsets, you can download map data using a pc and then have it saved to your memory card. Wish things were like this for blackberry.
    03-03-12 07:36 AM
    The advantage is that the map data is always up to date and you don't run the risk of having outdated information on your device.
    03-03-12 08:42 AM
    The advantage is that the map data is always up to date and you don't run the risk of having outdated information on your device.

Yes but then at times the map takes a long time to load up.
    03-08-12 08:36 AM
    Once you load directions on BB maps it will navigate to the end without an internet connection and maps will remain on cache. Load the directions on wifi and then you're good to go. I tested this by the way, I loaded directions then I turned connections off and I navigated without a problem.

If a screen has been loaded once they will not require data a second time.

Hope this helps.
    03-10-12 06:50 AM
    MGMaps is the only solution I'm using at the moment.

Go to the following website to download Google maps' map tiles.
    Map Creation Tool for MGMaps

Install mgmaps into your BB from the following website:
    MGMaps - View maps from various sources on your mobile phone!
    04-20-12 03:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD