I had a Storm & Storm 2...got my SWEET new 9930 a couple of days before Christmas! Best of both worlds...touch screen AND physical keyboard! HOWEVER...there are a couple of really, really, really cool things about the Storm lineup that I now miss...

My default calendar view is today. On the Storm, there were icons at the bottom that allowed me to quickly switch to week and month views. I miss the heck out of my little shortcut icons in the calendar app! I know that additional shortcuts appear when I hold the screen, but switching views ISN'T THERE!! It's so, so annoying to have to got to the full menu to swich from day to month view. It was SOOOO easy on the Storm! Why would they take that away? Apparently, the person who decided that it wasn't important didn't use the original touch interface. Either that or they didn't have enough of a life to ever use the calendar!!

There were also some friggin cool shortcuts in the email app. While reading an email, I could hit the "forward", "reply", or "send" icon at the bottom of the screen! No need to go to the menu at all!! Okay...there's a "send" icon when replying, but the forward & reply icons when reading are gone! And yes, I do know that I can hit "r" for reply & "l" for reply all, but if my mind is in touch scren mode vs. keyboard mode, I want my shortcuts! And yes...at least I can find them when I long hold the screen, but I still miss the icons.

Anyone else miss this? It was such an advantage over the extremely crappy email & calendar apps on iOS devices!
    02-25-12 11:41 AM
    Give it a couple of weeks, sometimes it just takes time to adjust to a new set up. That's how I felt about my 9930 at the beginning, but now I love it.
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    02-25-12 11:54 AM
    Give it a couple of weeks, sometimes it just takes time to adjust to a new set up. That's how I felt about my 9930 at the beginning, but now I love it.
    Don't get me wrong...love my 9930! But after 2 months of heavy use, I still miss my shortcuts.
    02-25-12 12:07 PM
    Check out the Short cut KEYS! Just as good or better. R for replay F for Forward L for reply ALL B for bottom T for top of an email. Swipe the screen to go to the next message. Plenty of goodies.
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    02-25-12 12:10 PM
    Check out the Short cut KEYS! Just as good or better. R for replay F for Forward L for reply ALL B for bottom T for top of an email. Swipe the screen to go to the next message. Plenty of goodies.
    Thanks for this. I'm aware of the shortcut keys, and they are fantastic! I guess I need to get over the fact that the shortcut icons aren't on the screen anymore. I suppose with a physical keyboard, there's no need to takeup room on the smaller screen for icons. They were necessary on the Storm line since there is no physical keyboard.

Thanks for talking me off of the cliff, drano!!
    02-25-12 12:14 PM
    No problem.

I had the Storms then the Torch. Loved them both. But the 9900 is like carrying a feather and does almost the same thing.
    02-25-12 12:40 PM
    If you disable 'quick entry' in the calendar options then you can easily switch between the calendar views. D = day, W = week, and M = month. Its a cool work around, but I agree with you. I used to the have the torch 9800 before switching too the 9900 and there are a lot of onscreen shortcuts that they took out.

Even in bbm it was easier to send attachments, invite ppl and switch between chats.
    Last edited by SHADMOS; 02-25-12 at 12:46 PM. Reason: stupid spell checker
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    02-25-12 12:44 PM
    If you disable 'quick entry' in the calendar options then you can easily switch between the calendar views. D = day, W = week, and M = month. Its a cool work around, but I agree with you. I used to the have the torch 9800 before switching too the 9900 and there are a lot of onscreen shortcuts that they took out.

Even in bbm it was easier to send attachments, invite ppl and switch between chats.
    EXCELLENT!! Thanks for the tip! I think it's so bizarre that they've made it so difficult to get to the views! I'm in the process of installing a leaked OS (smile), but as soon as that's done, I'm going to do what you've suggested. I often switch between calendar views, so having the shortcuts is key for my happiness!!!

Besides...I hate the quick entry anyway...
    02-25-12 01:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD