And if I do would it even work? Seems to me this is something that should have been built in.
    02-25-12 08:15 AM
    I have it installed, very useful to kill DROID apps running that I don't need.
    02-25-12 08:29 AM
    Maybe someone can help explain how to use it. When I sideloaded it and then ran it, the only thing it showed running was, ITSELF. I did not see any other Android apps and I had repligo, Kindle, GhostCommander and some others. In experimenting on battery life I have removed all android apps but plan on reinstalling, so using Task Killer could prove helpful.

Thanks.
    02-25-12 03:15 PM
    F2, you had those installed, but had you run any of them since the last time you rebooted?

Merely having an app installed does not (with the current OS) ever result in it being executed in any way. Only actually launching the app will do that.

The app killer presumably will show more if you've actually run a few Android apps first. If you had done that, then I don't have an answer.
    02-25-12 03:29 PM
    Unless an Android app gets stuck, if you back out until you get to the Android player screen and then exit the player, you have killed the app. One of the advantages to using an emulator is that killing apps as you often need to to on an Android device should not be needed very much....
    02-25-12 11:22 PM
    Actually, you don't need to kill apps on either Android (or the PB, as far as I know). After an Android app runs, it does leave a footprint in the OS, and that shows as the row of Android icons at the bottom of the player, when you exit an Android app. The icons are not actually running and the very small amount of memory taken by them is instantly released to the system if it is needed. It is not necessary to kill them. You can kill the residual footprint but it means nothing for the memory actually available for the PB (or Android device). It's the way Android works.
    OniBerry and mhinc like this.
    02-26-12 03:06 PM
    You do not need Advanced Task Killer, not even newer Android devices need it. It's easy to kill an Android app in with the PB. Like Michel Souris posts, once you close the app, you may see it (with some other recently used apps) on the bar on the bottom, but they are closed.
    02-26-12 05:09 PM
    You do not need Advanced Task Killer, not even newer Android devices need it. It's easy to kill an Android app in with the PB. Like Michel Souris posts, once you close the app, you may see it (with some other recently used apps) on the bar on the bottom, but they are closed.
    I'm sorry but that is simply not true of even the most current Android devices. Even people in their own forums acknowledge the ongoing problem of misbehaving apps that need to be closed out. Contrary to Google claims, Android OSs also do not give back all of the RAM when you leave an app, largely because the OS is what you should expect for something that is free. It is one of the reasons that even a Transformer Prime slows down when there have been multiple apps opened.
    02-26-12 06:06 PM
    Cool story. Haven't needed an app like that on my RAZR. Like almost any platform, it's about management.

People will continue to download apps like these, like they will continue to shrink their OS, cause in their minds, they are using an 8330 or a HTC Dream. Technology changes quickly, but people's habits don't change as quick. Are there people (Android and BlackBerry) who suffer from slow devices, and memory leak? Sure. I am not going to say it's not happening, but the same people pumping out the ATK type apps, are the same ones telling Android users to download the latest Anti-Malware app.
    02-26-12 06:13 PM
    I'm sorry but that is simply not true of even the most current Android devices. Even people in their own forums acknowledge the ongoing problem of misbehaving apps that need to be closed out. Contrary to Google claims, Android OSs also do not give back all of the RAM when you leave an app, largely because the OS is what you should expect for something that is free. It is one of the reasons that even a Transformer Prime slows down when there have been multiple apps opened.
    Yes, that is partially true. But overall you still should not use task killers. It's a bad habit formed during teh early days of android that is no longer recommended but yet people still do.

Android Task Killers Explained: What They Do and Why You Shouldn�t Use Them
    02-26-12 11:14 PM
    I slightly disagree.

On my 2.2 Galaxy S a task killer was very helpful, on my 2.3.4 Evo 3D I never needed one and I frequently switched between apps and seldom shut down. I honestly believe that a quality implementation of the newer Android versions do not require a task killer.

That said...

I found a task killer to be immensely helpful on both my Playbook and my hacked Windows Mobile phone. I think there are two reasons, one that these hacks or implementations by manufactures who don't know Android all that we'll don't know how to best implement the OS, and two dual operating systems put additional stress on a system that the manufactures don't properly account for.
    02-27-12 04:19 PM
    I slightly disagree.

On my 2.2 Galaxy S a task killer was very helpful, on my 2.3.4 Evo 3D I never needed one and I frequently switched between apps and seldom shut down. I honestly believe that a quality implementation of the newer Android versions do not require a task killer.

That said...

I found a task killer to be immensely helpful on both my Playbook and my hacked Windows Mobile phone. I think there are two reasons, one that these hacks or implementations by manufactures who don't know Android all that we'll don't know how to best implement the OS, and two dual operating systems put additional stress on a system that the manufactures don't properly account for.
    That can be accounted for in the link I provided earlier in this thread under the "what you should do instead " section of that article

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk
    02-27-12 05:12 PM
    Uhm.... pandora still runs after I kill the android app player... it's very obvious by the music still playing... also, after I close an app like handrite (shows up on the android player bottom bar) and open another it seems to stay open. When I go back into handrite the same exact screen is still up on the screen so it seems like it only minimized the app.

Can anyone actually confirm the logistics here?
    02-28-12 06:45 PM
    Would love some help here. I installed ATK from the BAR thread here, and no app icon showed up, so I ununstalled. I then Installed from the GoodEReader store (thanks Koz) and I STILL have no app icon. Am I missing something?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    03-14-12 05:07 PM
    fyi go launcher ex has a built in task killer. "running" amd you simply kill the running and it shows the memory increased after the kill. No need to load a separate bar. Go launcher ex is a great launcher and tool.
    03-14-12 11:42 PM
    You shouldn't set your Task Killer to auto kill Apps but its still pretty useful when an App occasionally goes crazy.
    03-24-12 07:21 AM
    Hi Guys can someone help, I am trying to side load the Task killer with no success. Am I missing something? all other app side load with no issues.
    03-30-12 06:41 PM
    Yes, you will need it to insure you are not having multiple Droid app running and eating up your memory.

They do not always close without it,

Tim
    03-30-12 08:56 PM
    So here's an odd one, I have the Task killer on my PlayBook that I sideloaded. It show the Android email is within the app player so for giggles I set it up. And although not always, it does indeed work. I just got a notification a few minutes ago and I had no Android apps running at the time.

Here are some screen shots...
    Last edited by axllebeer; 06-10-12 at 12:55 PM.
    06-10-12 12:46 PM
    So here's an odd one, I have the Task killer on my PlayBook that I sideloaded. It show the Android email is within the app player so for giggles I set it up. And although not always, it does indeed work. I just got a notification a few minutes ago and I had no Android apps running at the time.

Here are some screen shots...
    Yeah, it's been there since the first 2.0 beta release, was using it for mail prior to official 2. The gallery/browser and some other bits are in there too if you go digging...
    axllebeer likes this.
    06-11-12 12:06 AM
    Yeah, it's been there since the first 2.0 beta release, was using it for mail prior to official 2. The gallery/browser and some other bits are in there too if you go digging...
    Although I have plenty of sideloaded apps on my PlayBook I haven't dug in too deep to the App Player. But you have intrigued me so now I think the digging will commence.
    06-11-12 06:22 PM
    Although I have plenty of sideloaded apps on my PlayBook I haven't dug in too deep to the App Player. But you have intrigued me so now I think the digging will commence.
    This might help with your digging: http://forums.crackberry.com/android...9/#post7446659
    axllebeer likes this.
    06-11-12 09:11 PM
    Thanks for the link. Looks like it works pretty well.
    06-11-12 10:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD