Dear all,

Before buying a Playbook I really need to know from more experienced BB users if the following configuration will allow Blackberry Bridge to work properly?
    I have a Bold 9900 on BES from work. The IT policy allows pairing on Bluetooth but disables Bluetooth discovery on the phone. It also doesn't allow sending of contacts by Bluetooth or sending my phonebook to my car system.
    I can install the BB Bridge app on the phone (already did).

Do you think I will be able to use the Bridge functionality properly?

Thank you all for your help.
    02-25-12 07:27 AM
    The bridge app afaik pairs by scanning the QR code which is provided during the pairing set-up process on the PB.
    I don't think you will have any trouble doing this.

What about setting up your work e-mail on the PB itself so you can access it without bridging?
    02-25-12 07:47 AM
    Dtancu, There is specific policy that relates to bridge. Your best option is to install bridge and see if it will allow you to turn it on. It will tell you if it's disabled by your policy.

If it's not blocked then it should work with a pb.
    02-25-12 08:14 AM
    I can install Bridge on the Bold and turn it on. That's all I've tried up to now.
    Also, I would love to be able to setup my BES on the Playbook but how does it work? If it's the same as on the BB, then i need Enterprise activation, right?
    Last edited by dtancu; 02-25-12 at 09:30 AM.
    02-25-12 09:25 AM
    Ok, just understood how it works. The only way to use BES on the native mail app �s by Activesync Exchange.
    This is a useless solution for any big company using BES, as nobody is so foolish as to leave all security at the mercy of an Activesync password. In my case I need to establish a VPN connection using a smart card, then authenticate in Outlook using a username/password combination linked to the Active Domain on my PC.
    I don't see how such a mechanism would work on a Playbook.
    02-26-12 12:41 AM
    Ok, just understood how it works. The only way to use BES on the native mail app �s by Activesync Exchange.
    This is a useless solution for any big company using BES, as nobody is so foolish as to leave all security at the mercy of an Activesync password. In my case I need to establish a VPN connection using a smart card, then authenticate in Outlook using a username/password combination linked to the Active Domain on my PC.
    I don't see how such a mechanism would work on a Playbook.
    If you use a BES your company will use Mobile Fusion which uses the same secure tunnel through the RIM NOC. The only difference is the BES is using ActiveSync instead of CDO/MAPI. So the security is still there.
    02-26-12 01:50 AM
    The bridge app afaik pairs by scanning the QR code which is provided during the pairing set-up process on the PB.
    I don't think you will have any trouble doing this.

What about setting up your work e-mail on the PB itself so you can access it without bridging?
    The reason not to do that is because unless he can use an ActiveSync account, email will sync with the server, but not the following:
    Calendar
    Contacts
    To Do
    MemoPad
    (All of which sync immediately OTA when on a BES.)
    02-26-12 03:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD