I know the power of the Playbook with the new 2.0 OS and all, also the power when it come using it for work but i still use mine more for entertainment so here come the real question which head/earphone would you recommend to get the best sound out it. i currently have the Beats solo HD but as we all know they were made for Iwhatever (phone, pod, pad) so i really don't enjoy the power they have to offer i used my brother ipod with them and i couldn't believe how good and LOUD it was. with Playbook not so much there might be a few song that sound good but must of the time i find myself checking the volume to see if its up all the way. so if any of you can help me with a recommendation for me please. thank you
    02-24-12 04:54 PM
    Bose Headphones. > Beats.

I promise.

But to answer your question, I'll ask another one.
    What are the best Headphones?
    artie, jonmark and Mel25 like this.
    02-24-12 05:22 PM
    well i guess i should of asked whats the best combination of Playbook ear/headphone to use rather than then whats best headphone
    02-24-12 05:30 PM
    I use my beats tours,work perfectly
    02-24-12 05:36 PM
    You're going to hear a lot of recommendations here for Bose, Skull Candy, Beats, etc. None of these are high end headphones. Not to insult anyone that owns them, but they're just not (maybe kinda Bose).

If you want really nice headphones look at Sennheiser or Grado. The quality of Grado is fantastic, but you will pay for it. Sennheiser is probably a better balance of price and quality. My headphones are Sennheiser HD 555, and they are fantastic for their music quality. They won't have thumping bass, but they have clear accurate reproduction of music that lets you hear every detail.

This isn't to say there aren't other good brands and models of headphones. But Skull Candy (and others) are the Monster Cable of the headphone world. Great advertising but no substance, and way over priced.
    jonmark likes this.
    02-24-12 05:45 PM
    I have Bose headphones and they're really good

I think RIM keeps the max sound level lower to prevent hearing damage.
    OS2 has an audio boost setting and when you use it they make it clear that it's 'use at your own risk'.

Loud sound damages hearing over time. It's slow but it does happen
    02-24-12 05:47 PM
    Try the ultimate ears 600. You won't regret. I also have the bose in ear headset, it has too much bass. I like the UE better. It has the right balance and 3D sound is amazing.
    02-24-12 05:52 PM
    I'm gonna be buying the apple earphones I think they are the best, that's just personal preference and my open opinion
    02-24-12 05:55 PM
    I use my Beats Solo HD's most of the time, they sound very GOOD. I also have a pair of BOSE ear plugs, which also sound GOOD. I guess it's a matter of preference
    02-24-12 05:59 PM
    Audio Technica M50 for headphone, as for IEM, personally I have Shure SE530.
    int3h likes this.
    02-24-12 06:07 PM
    The beats are horrible.

Klipsch s4i's are the best in ear headphones under $150 IMHO
    PatrickMJS and d3adcrab like this.
    02-24-12 06:11 PM
    For something very different from all of the above, try the Klipsh s2m headset.

1. sweet sweet sound from a long-time audio engineering company that started in Arkansas in the 1930's, and moved to Indiana some time ago.

2. they use oval-shaped silicon buds which slip comfortably into your ear, providing "passive" noise cancellation. You can buy replacement buds for very little cash if you want to replace them, but I've been using mine for over a year and they're still good.

3. wired, not bluetooth, but that only means the sound is VERY good for an economical price - retail $70 - $90 but I found 'em on ebay for less than $40 including shipping, in the original packaging.

4. the headset includes a mic that is built into the wire that comes down from the right ear bud.

5. the mic has a button which works as a play/pause button when you're listening to music. When a call comes in, the music mutes, and if you click the button once, it connects the call. When you're done the call, click it again and it ends the call and the music resumes.
    02-24-12 06:12 PM
    The beats are horrible.

Klipsch s4i's are the best in ear headphones under $150 IMHO
    Even though I respect your opinion I don't value your opinion, if beats were "horrible" I doubt professional athletes, professional musicians and a lot of other people would waste money on Beats headphones. Their constantly selling out of products at major retail stores. That would not happen if they were "horrible"
    02-24-12 06:29 PM
    I have a 8-10 year-old closed Sony MDR 7506, and two newer open ones: Audio-Technica AD700 and Sennheiser HD598. They each sound very nice with the PB. The Sonys are more compact, less pretentious, and have a coil cord; so I take those out of the house. Most of the time, though, I pack Sony MDR-EX500LP earphones when I'm out with my Zune HD64 player and the PB. The Zune sounds better with all phones, but the PB is excellent -relatively speaking, considering what we're working with here in both cases. The fidelity I get out of the PB appears better than on either of my notebooks. For ideal listening conditions, you can also optimize the capability of the headphones with a compact amp, though I wouldn't spend too much on these, because they don't have magical properties either. The Senn 598s are featured in the current or prior issue of Sound&Vision where they review and recommend a handful of headphones (no bose, beats, dres, skullcandies included, to the best of my memory).

I would try out phones, and select the ones that are the most comfortable. Replaceable pads and cord options are also good. With all due respect, you don't need a high-end headphone for low-end devices, and all mobile devices are that, though some are worse/better than others. Great listening to all -just enjoy the music at any fidelity.

Edit: none of my phones or the ones it the review cited have noise-cancellation, mikes, or other such features.
    Last edited by PBGent; 02-24-12 at 06:50 PM.
    02-24-12 06:44 PM
    What about those Aftershokz bone conduction headphones that were demoed at CES...

I would try those if I see them in the store
    tdleon likes this.
    02-24-12 06:55 PM
    I have Bose headphones and they're great and they come with a nice small case and 2 different sizes of cables Costco had them lower than online.
    02-24-12 07:06 PM
    I know the power of the Playbook with the new 2.0 OS and all, also the power when it come using it for work but i still use mine more for entertainment so here come the real question which head/earphone would you recommend to get the best sound out it. i currently have the Beats solo HD but as we all know they were made for Iwhatever (phone, pod, pad) so i really don't enjoy the power they have to offer i used my brother ipod with them and i couldn't believe how good and LOUD it was. with Playbook not so much there might be a few song that sound good but must of the time i find myself checking the volume to see if its up all the way. so if any of you can help me with a recommendation for me please. thank you
    I bought these Philips Neckband Headphones for use with my PB. They are lightweight, comfortable, and have a great bass sound. I bought mine on special when they were $9.99. They are currently $15.25 and qualify for Amazon Prime's free two day shipping. The neckband style is easy to put on and I hardly know I am wearing them. They are cheap enough to be worth a try.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...bUvbUpU7172317
    02-24-12 07:09 PM
    Even though I respect your opinion I don't value your opinion, if beats were "horrible" I doubt professional athletes, professional musicians and a lot of other people would waste money on Beats headphones. Their constantly selling out of products at major retail stores. That would not happen if they were "horrible"
    I think they just have the "Apple" syndrome. "Most Popular" and "Best" are still two different things...
    02-24-12 07:25 PM
    My vote would be for Boss OE2 over the ear headphones. They sound great...
    02-24-12 07:29 PM
    Thanks to the new BT connectivity, I am using my Rocketfish RF-MAB2's headset and they are adequate for my use. I know from bitter experience that if you think everything is too quiet right now, you already have hearing loss. If you need so much volume, save the good music for a suitable listening environment. I was on a flight, and the dude with in-ear phones's music was clearly understandable above my music with full over-ear headphones.

All that said, try and find a store that will let you demo your choices.
    02-24-12 09:26 PM
    If you want something you can listen to for more than a half hour without getting a headache, then you want Sennheiser. Nice full bass. Clear mids (yeah you can actually make out the lyrics) and smooth highs, (no headaches). Take it from someone who spent thousands on headphones. For a cell phone I would recommend the PX100II with or without the mic adapter. If you dont like a head band, simply choose the most expensive in-ear or earbud type they have that you can afford. If you want buds, not IEM's, than Yuin is another brand you will like. Their most expensive one, the PK-1, may need a portable amp if you like your jamz loud. The PK-3, and PK-2 are low impedance and will be fine with the cell phones.

Buy Bose, SkullCandy, Beats, blah, blah, blah, if you want the equivalent of moms second hand Camary.
    taylortbb likes this.
    02-24-12 09:47 PM
    Koss Portapro, are the best sounding, and feeling portable headphones I've found...the drawback is they do have a seventies vibe..
    Zagabog and curvedthumb like this.
    02-24-12 10:03 PM
    Shure 215s are fantastic iems, for around $100.

I also bought a pair of ultimate ears (now owned by logitech) from the Apple Store for around $50, they are iems as well,but they don't loop around the ear, so they are easier to take in and out. They come with a bunch of different ear pieces, and a nice little carrying case, and are very clean looking buds. They match the pb very well.

The problem is, there aren't many audiophiles on this site and the typical "boss headphones are good" response is completely unhelpful, as boss has over 50 different headphones out there.

Then, everyone's ears hear differently, so the best thing to do is look up reviews online, hifi forums, or audio forums, look at the price ranges you want to spend in, and go from there.

I wouldn't spend more than $60, as you can score some great deals on Amazon.

I definitely recommend the logitech ultimate ears in ear monitors.
    Last edited by spicy; 02-25-12 at 02:38 AM.
    02-25-12 02:33 AM
    I got some sennheiser bluetooth ones last week in anticipation of OS2, they are MM200 great, pair no problem and now my PB pairs with my BB, my Nokia N900, my Lexus media centre, I am spoilt for choice on connectivity, for a change

Tim, BB/PB convert from Nokia, thank you RIM for an alternative to I- culture as I do try to avoid it, still love my N900 though.
    02-25-12 03:46 AM
    I wouldn't say Beats are horrible, but they're definitely not the best. It's all in what you're looking for. Beats are amazing with the lows and hitting the bass hard - however the low bass drowns out the highs and meds tremendously. If you're big into hip hop and listen to a lot of rap and r&b, then these set of cans are definitely good for you. That's why so many athletes and musicians get them because that seems to be the music genre most selected by the "trend setters".

However, if you're looking for something that will catch a wide range of crisp highs, deep lows and hit the mids right on - you'll want some studio monitoring headphones. Audio Technica has a great selection of those. Studio Monitoring won't give you that thumping bass, that's what Beats and the like are for. Studio Monitoring gives you exactly what true musicians want - real sound. As mentioned before, Sennheiser is a great choice for price and quality, they have some good HD and studio monitoring as well. Klipsch is also very good, but I've found that with those you need to burn em in for a couple days before you get the best sound out of them, not a bad thing, but just a hassle.

Right now Amazon has some really great Audio-Technica's on sale for under $50, they retail at over $100, and since they're professional studio monitoring you'll get some good clear sounds that won't be muffled with incredibly deep bass. Here's a link to that set, if you're interested:
    Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATH-M30 Professional Headphones: Musical Instruments
    Last edited by jonmark; 02-25-12 at 04:02 AM.
    taylortbb and int3h like this.
    02-25-12 03:55 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD