Email reply to me by the Executive Communications correspondent at Netflix:

Hi ,

I am following up with you regarding your email to Brady. Our goal is to be on every screen that�s relevant to our members and we add more devices all the time. That said, we don�t have any current plans to support Blackberry devices, including the Playbook, though that may change in the future.

If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to contact customer service. Representatives are available 24 hours a day and the phone number is available on the �Contact Us� page of the Netflix website.

Sincerely,

Elena Mukhin
    Netflix, Inc.
    02-23-12 07:26 PM
    Seems as if his answer contradicts their stated goal in the previous sentence.
    02-23-12 07:28 PM
    That kinda sucks! Mind you I tend to watch Netflix through my PS3 but for them not to even try to support BlackBerry devices (especially the Playbook).

Well like the letter stated, "that may change". Hopefully it does.
    02-23-12 07:41 PM
    Translation: Not enough PB users are members and/or they don't see the need to attract PB users to the service or make current members happier.
    raymond likes this.
    02-23-12 07:46 PM
    Seems as if his answer contradicts their stated goal in the previous sentence.
    I know, that was pretty funny and, in my opinion, embarrassing for the sender.
    02-23-12 07:51 PM
    A stated in the above post.... Netflix is available on a number of platforms... Why this makes the Playbook any less a tablet for not having it is beyond me.... I can access it on my gaming consol ... computer and on my shiny new Plasma TV.... So I at least can live without it on the Playbook....
    02-23-12 07:52 PM
    *official canned response*

Fixed the topic...
    02-23-12 07:52 PM
    If you really want something you have to be heard. If everyone who owns a PB sends an email to Netflix, you just might get it.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-23-12 07:53 PM
    Just can't understand why anyone would pay good money for Netflix. I've found newer movies at yard sales.
    02-23-12 07:54 PM
    The key phrase in the reply email is...."relevant to our members..." Guess Netflix doesn't think Playbook owners are relevant. It seems the ONLY thing that will change their minds is market driven so if you want this and other services, it's time to get convince your family and friends to buy a PB!!!! Numbers speak volumes...
    02-23-12 07:54 PM
    My official statement to Netflix was very simple: "Given that Netflix does not value its members who have chosen Blackberry as their phone and/or tablet, please cancel my membership immediately."
    02-23-12 07:58 PM
    Netflix is irrelevant and on its way out; who cares?
    Goldwing07 and rleo25 like this.
    02-23-12 08:03 PM
    It can't be that difficult to develop a pb app
    02-23-12 08:06 PM
  14. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    My official statement to Netflix was very simple: "Given that Netflix does not value its members who have chosen Blackberry as their phone and/or tablet, please cancel my membership immediately."
    +10000 that should be the response from ALL BLACKBERRY USERS!!!
    02-23-12 08:08 PM
    There is already an Android app so it would take no work for Netflix to port it to the Playbook. Also there are over 70+ million BB users, so why there was never an arrangement between Netflix and RIM to create an app is beyond me.

The only thing I can think of is RIM isn't even trying to lure Netflix. RIM was the market leader in smartphones like what 2 years ago when Netflix was at its peak in popularity and neither company thought it would make business sense to provide that service on BB's? Although 2 years ago BB's would struggle to stream video bc RIM became complacent, so it may have been a hardware issue too...
    02-23-12 08:13 PM
    in lamen terms, they are putting their eggs in everything except rims basket

they dont see it worthwhile even to port the android app to bar? weird, but its the same with skype, kindle - they dont believe in RIM either. hmm
    02-23-12 08:35 PM
    I think it has less to do with believing in RIM and more to do with RIM reaching out and making deals to get those consumer media companies to get on board. RIM still is a force in mobile devices even as it loses market share, its still an expanding market.

RIM has over 70 million active mobile devices out there, I blame RIM for just not trying...
    02-23-12 08:46 PM
    I think it has less to do with believing in RIM and more to do with RIM reaching out and making deals to get those consumer media companies to get on board. RIM still is a force in mobile devices even as it loses market share, its still an expanding market.

RIM has over 70 million active mobile devices out there, I blame RIM for just not trying...
    Yep. They make very little effort to reach out to customers for their own products, so it stands to reason that mentality would be even worse for other service providers...
    02-23-12 08:50 PM
    So I got cranky about this and got the same reply on twitter. While I am behind petitions, etc., I feel that twitter is a much more public way of persuading companies to create apps or be abandoned. Fortunately my tweet was picked up by crackberry. I suggest everyone make their opinions known to @netflixhelps.
    02-23-12 08:59 PM
    this has nothing to do with Netflix... time for you RIM fanbois to give your head a shake...RIM doesn't want Netflix because it can't make any money off netflix..they came up with their Video store idea..where ever they are hiding it is another question.
    bbeezy likes this.
    02-23-12 09:04 PM
    I'm pretty sure it's just Netflix holding RIM hostage and wanting more dough before developing the app...we all know how Netflix is losing its subscribers and all...
    02-23-12 09:06 PM
    this has nothing to do with Netflix... time for you RIM fanbois to give your head a shake...RIM doesn't want Netflix because it can't make any money off netflix..they came up with their Video store idea..where ever they are hiding it is another question.
    This makes sense, no Netflix, no Hulu
    02-23-12 09:09 PM
    And as far as I can tell with the new video store on the PlayBook there is no recurring monthly membership like what Netflix offers. I wish there was because then I would drop Netflix all together. With the HDMI out on the PlayBook it would be a solid win. But sadly, (and please correct me if I'm wrong here), this isn't the case.

I personally don't think this is all on RIM here anyway. You really think when they launched the PlayBook they knew they were going to create their own video store then and there? I'm sure they were thinking developers would flock to it and they didn't. Poor sales from the start and lackluster reviews mixed with the lack of all the PIM apps (that we now have 10 months later, and they are good, 10 months later) have probably made Netflix realize they just don't need the PlayBook. And with the Kindle Fire doing so well, with Netflix, they may never bother with us PlayBook owners.
    It's crappy and I hate it, love the PlayBook, but this may never change.

Oh well moving on. Going to go watch some flash videos now On my PlayBook
    Last edited by axllebeer; 02-23-12 at 09:28 PM.
    02-23-12 09:11 PM
    You beat me to it. Having people say they want it is one thing. Having paying members leave is another.

Current members leaving now because if it affects them today. That they have to listen to.

James
    02-23-12 09:12 PM
    Isn't it available on the ipad? I doubt very much that RIM would block them. If that were the case Netflix would be up in arms and pushing customers to move to a different device. You think they would keep quiet about it? Not a chance.

James
    02-23-12 09:15 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD