According to senior product manager Michael Clewley:

Clewley said PlayBook owners will eventually be able to update their tablets with the new BlackBerry 10 operating system, which RIM has targeted for the second half of the year.

In the meantime, PlayBook users can expect to see a few more updates along the way.

"We haven't necessarily disclosed a software roadmap for PlayBook at this time but you can be assured that ... we will have a few more releases for PlayBook," he said.

CP24- PlayBook's new OS a 'sneak peek' at BlackBerry 10: RIM
    morfy50, bluetroll, hpjrt and 16 others like this.
    02-23-12 12:41 PM
    Good news!
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-23-12 12:56 PM
    Wow...lucy....that's really juscy news...Thanks...
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-23-12 12:57 PM
    That's good to know -- though I'm generally pleased with OS 2.0. I just need Kindle to be officially dropped into Appworld and all will be well. I don't like side loading stuff.

I don't expect Blackberry 10 to make its way to the current version of the Playbook any time soon -- considering how long it took to get OS 2 out. Looking forward to the next generation of Playbooks. It's a refreshing change from stale old iOS.
    ljo01 likes this.
    02-23-12 01:11 PM
    An update, large or small, every couple of months until BB 10 release should, I hope, help to sustain media and developer interest in the PlayBook.
    KMB4 likes this.
    02-23-12 02:36 PM
    Fantastic!!!!
    02-23-12 03:46 PM
    I thought that was said awhile back. Cool as it still needs some tweaking.
    02-23-12 03:49 PM
    This is very good news.
    02-23-12 03:50 PM
    always funtastico to read a article like that now meanwhile push the better updates out out!
    02-23-12 03:51 PM
    Awesome!
    02-23-12 03:54 PM
    at the same time, doesn't leave much hope that the big vendors are even thinking about bringing thier apps to the playbook. netflix, skype, kinde.. etc..etc..
    02-23-12 03:55 PM
    No wonder they don't have a roadmap... they'd never be able to stick to it. Still very good news though. BB10 update this year would be excellent!
    02-23-12 03:59 PM
    this could be a charlie sheen moment playbook is WWWWIIINNNNNINNNNGG
    02-23-12 03:59 PM
    There is a method to unofficially get Android apps on the PlayBook, called sideloading, and Clewley indicated that RIM isn't discouraging the practice.
    Thought this was interesting. RIM's not discouraging side loading. I think it's smart.

Great Article! Now i'm excited for BB10!
    peterco likes this.
    02-23-12 04:00 PM
    at the same time, doesn't leave much hope that the big vendors are even thinking about bringing thier apps to the playbook. netflix, skype, kinde.. etc..etc..
    Still, there are some glaring omissions in the PlayBook library, with Netflix, Skype and Amazon Kindle apps coming up again and again on user wish lists.

Clewley said it's up to those companies to design apps for the PlayBook, or tweak existing Android apps for RIM's tablets.

He said RIM is doing what it can to encourage that.

"That's definitely an area that we're continuing to work with the vendors on but it's really up to them to bring the product to our operating system. But we're definitely continuing to talk with them," he said.
    I would imagine they are doing all they can.
    I think it brings more hope.
    The phones and tablets sharing a single OS would be more incentive to develop.
    02-23-12 04:03 PM
    I highly doubt we are ever going to get a major update
    02-23-12 04:08 PM
    Care to elaborate further?
    02-23-12 04:25 PM
    I highly doubt we are never going to get a major update.
    02-23-12 04:25 PM
    And this is based on the same instinct that prompted your post that RIM was discontinuing the PB back in December?
    bitek, Barljo, peter9477 and 3 others like this.
    02-23-12 04:58 PM
    Thought this was interesting. RIM's not discouraging side loading. I think it's smart.

Great Article! Now i'm excited for BB10!
    For now. I hope they don't get complaints and then start discouraging the practice.
    02-23-12 05:03 PM
    That's good to know -- though I'm generally pleased with OS 2.0. I just need Kindle to be officially dropped into Appworld and all will be well. I don't like side loading stuff..
    For those that are unsure of side loading an application, I say drop the uncertainty and just do it. You will not be disappointed. With the DDPB software it is really simple.
    02-23-12 05:29 PM
    Let the mini updates proceed!!! Whoot!
    rotorwrench likes this.
    02-23-12 05:50 PM
    And this is based on the same instinct that prompted your post that RIM was discontinuing the PB back in December?
    I wonder if he's stopped using Window's based computers; I know he's posted in another site asking for others to join him in a class action suit against Microsoft over losing some sort of data over a broadcom program...user error I suspect.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    02-23-12 05:59 PM
    For now. I hope they don't get complaints and then start discouraging the practice.
    Their approach seems to be..we don't 'encourage' it and, if you mess thing up, you are on your own. Seems fair.
    02-23-12 06:23 PM
    This makes sense as the Playbook is there for them to use to develop BB10 then its obvious that at some point the OS will appear on the playbook. Looking forward to seeing it as the OS is only going to get better and better.
    02-23-12 06:33 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD