My wife's beloved 9930 was charged last night using the factory BB wall charger, and it worked fine this morning when she used it to talk to her parents on her way to work. She just went to get it out of her purse to call me, and it is hot to the touch and seems to be powered off. I had her pull the battery and put it back (twice), and it won't power on at all. She says the LED doesn't light up or anything - totally dead. (She called me on a land line to tell me about the 9930, by the way)

Is there any kind of debugging or anything that can be done before I call tech support and end up getting a refurb unit?

I searched and only turned up arguments about whether a bricking issue exists or not - no real steps that can be taken to resolve it if it arises.
    Last edited by engineer2001; 02-23-12 at 09:56 AM.
    02-23-12 09:54 AM
    1. First make sure there is still juice on the battery, for what you described, the battery most likely already dried. That can explain why there is no light when you put on the battery. CHARGE IT FIRST. THIS IS MOST LIKELY THE CASE.

2. If you made sure there battery still have enough power, and it's not turning on. Try to force flash the OS.
    a) connect the device to a computer that has the latest OS installed for your device.
    b) Go to command promote "cmd"
    c) on XP or 32Bit Win7 "CD c:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\", ON 64 Bit WIN7 "CD c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader".
    d) run "Loader /NOJVM"

3) This will bring most "Bricked" device back to life

GOOD LUCK
    Last edited by yeek; 02-23-12 at 10:29 AM.
    02-23-12 10:24 AM
    x2

Do a battery pull first. I've seen a few that showed the same white screen and have been hot to the touch. Removing the battery for a few minutes and putting it back in allowed them to boot.

If the battery is that hot there is a huge draw on it. (apps stuck, or faulty hardware)
    02-23-12 10:28 AM
    Moved to the 99XX Forum. I also recommend trying to charge the battery. It sounds like the phone did something while in her bag that ran it down, pocket dial, or something along those lines.
    02-23-12 11:09 AM
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I will try them as soon as I get my hands on the phone when she gets home. Her phone was fully charged (100%) just before she drove to work (20 min drive), and it was only in her bag for less than two hours when she noticed it was dead. I doubt the battery is drained in less than 2 hours from 100% charge. But I will try the force flash method and see what happens.

I am confused, though, about the forum change. I was in the BB 9900/9930 forum and hit the "new thread" button in the upper left. Did it not get generated in the 9930 forum? Thanks for the move anyway.

Edit: AHA! I went back in my browser history, and I see I searched in the 9930 forum, got a hit in another forum (general) and seem to have hit the "new thread" button there. Sorry about that!
    Last edited by engineer2001; 02-23-12 at 11:26 AM.
    02-23-12 11:17 AM
    My wife's beloved 9930 was charged last night using the factory BB wall charger, and it worked fine this morning when she used it to talk to her parents on her way to work. She just went to get it out of her purse to call me, and it is hot to the touch and seems to be powered off. I had her pull the battery and put it back (twice), and it won't power on at all. She says the LED doesn't light up or anything - totally dead. (She called me on a land line to tell me about the 9930, by the way)

Is there any kind of debugging or anything that can be done before I call tech support and end up getting a refurb unit?

I searched and only turned up arguments about whether a bricking issue exists or not - no real steps that can be taken to resolve it if it arises.
    What is a "landline,"?

Lol. On a serious note, try to charge the battery via an external battery charger and then put it back into the device.
    02-23-12 11:18 AM
    On a serious note, try to charge the battery via an external battery charger and then put it back into the device.
    I don't have one of those. We only have what came with her phone. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
    02-23-12 11:19 AM
    I had the same thing happen with my original Storm when that phone came out. Was on vacation and though the phone was toast. Managed to get it working after a charge.

Good luck!
    02-23-12 12:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD