I haven't heard of these guys working on an app to work on playbook.

Should I just give up on waiting for some good news out of these camps?

I have membership for all three, with splashtop I can watch on my playbook. But if Internet connection is slow (public hotspots, or work wifi), then Nothing is really watchable.

I tried with simple browser (changing user agent to firebox or ie) no success. I guess I will resort to downloading shows and movies and uploading to playbook, but it's a shame these subscription services don't let you use whatever device you want to use.
    02-23-12 02:24 AM
    i would, cause then if any of them do come, pleasant surprise! :P
    djnshores likes this.
    02-23-12 02:26 AM
    I think there are some contract issues between some companies and RIM, where the companies are not wanting RIM to be able to provide certain services to us, no matter how much we want them.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    02-23-12 02:35 AM
    Hulu has been known to work with a rooted playbook. Sure dingleberry will be updated to allow you to root 2.0
    02-23-12 02:49 AM
    I haven't heard of these guys working on an app to work on playbook.

Should I just give up on waiting for some good news out of these camps?

I have membership for all three, with splashtop I can watch on my playbook. But if Internet connection is slow (public hotspots, or work wifi), then Nothing is really watchable.

I tried with simple browser (changing user agent to firebox or ie) no success. I guess I will resort to downloading shows and movies and uploading to playbook, but it's a shame these subscription services don't let you use whatever device you want to use.
    Amazon still works for me except for some of the tv shows. Every movie I try works fine, so it is hard to tell what's going on. For instance, yesterday I watched NYPD season 1 episodes but then season 5 wouldn't work.
    02-23-12 06:28 AM
    Amazon works fine for me, too, with a few exceptions. Also, if you really, really want Netflix and Hulu on your PB, it would be worth your while to get a year's subscription ($20) to PlayOn. Install PlayOn on your PC, check mobile access in the settings, and by browsing to m.playon.tv on your PB browser, you can get Netflix, Hulu, etc. anytime -- even when away from home and even when bridged. It's not as slick an implementation of those two things as an app, but it certainly works fine.
    02-23-12 06:43 AM
    Amazon works fine for me, too, with a few exceptions. Also, if you really, really want Netflix and Hulu on your PB, it would be worth your while to get a year's subscription ($20) to PlayOn. Install PlayOn on your PC, check mobile access in the settings, and by browsing to m.playon.tv on your PB browser, you can get Netflix, Hulu, etc. anytime -- even when away from home and even when bridged. It's not as slick an implementation of those two things as an app, but it certainly works fine.
    Does your PC have to be on and playon open all the time in order for it to work?
    02-23-12 07:28 AM
    In answer to the OP, I would forget about it. It has nothing to do with RIM...amazon, netflix, and hulu are the culprits...they don't want you to have their services on your PlayBook. I would just write them and ask them why?
    02-23-12 07:34 AM
    I haven't had any problems watching Amazon movies and tv shows on the PlayBook.
    02-23-12 07:37 AM
    Playon is totally useless if you are in Canada.
    02-23-12 07:38 AM
    No. There's always hope.
    02-23-12 07:40 AM
    Does your PC have to be on and playon open all the time in order for it to work?
    Yes, your PC has to be on, but PlayOn does not have to be open. Your PC can't be in "Standby" or sleep mode, but it doesn't matter if the screensaver is on, etc.
    02-23-12 07:48 AM
    Yes you should!
    02-23-12 09:48 AM
    I wouldn't give up. It's demand that creates supply, not enough demand is why i think it hasn't happened yet.
    02-23-12 09:57 AM
    I didn't pay too much attention to those who had problems watching Amazon Prime movies cause i had no issues, NADA, watched whatever I wanted!!

UNTILL...YESTERDAY os2 update!!!!
    Ever since I can't watch w/o amazon telling me my flash player needs updating (as i posted on new thread today)....Sorry for venting!!

Feelin your pain now!!!!!
    02-23-12 10:20 AM
    In answer to the OP, I would forget about it. It has nothing to do with RIM...amazon, netflix, and hulu are the culprits...they don't want you to have their services on your PlayBook. I would just write them and ask them why?
    The answer is obvious and one nobody wants to hear.....they have serious doubts about the long term future of the Playbook. They are not going to spend the resources necessary to develop and maintain an app for a platform that has an uncertain future.

The good news is that the Android player should make it easier for devs to port over their apps. All it takes is for one of them to get into the game and then competition will pull in the rest.
    02-23-12 10:20 AM
    Ok I just got off the phone after talking to a very polite lady from Netflix's customer service. She told me that Netflix is trying to get on as many platforms as possible. That if this is something that RIM has submited to them, they're certainly working on it. So the question now is has RIM done this?
    02-23-12 10:24 AM
    I didn't pay too much attention to those who had problems watching Amazon Prime movies cause i had no issues, NADA, watched whatever I wanted!!

UNTILL...YESTERDAY os2 update!!!!
    Ever since I can't watch w/o amazon telling me my flash player needs updating (as i posted on new thread today)....Sorry for venting!!

Feelin your pain now!!!!!
    SO are you saying that before OS2 you were able to watch amazon movies? I cant watch, amazon(same error as you, flash player update needed), youtube, or google movies. Does anyone know how to use any of the services I mentioned to watch streamed movies?
    02-23-12 10:30 AM
    Yes, I was able to watch all movies on amazon prior to my OS2 update yesterday
    02-23-12 10:39 AM
    Ok I just got off the phone after talking to a very polite lady from Netflix's customer service. She told me that Netflix is trying to get on as many platforms as possible. That if this is something that RIM has submited to them, they're certainly working on it. So the question now is has RIM done this?
    I mentioned this sometime back in another thread:

I suggest everyone swarm Roma De. His profile:

"I�m Roma De and as director of product management at Netflix, helping to expand the number of the devices that support streaming from Netflix is a major part of my job. Device expansion is also a key part of the company strategy."

Here is his email address:

[email protected]
    02-23-12 10:40 AM
    Cant help you with Netflix, but as far as Hulu I have found that while hulu doesn't work, most of that same programming is available on the stations website (abc.com, NBC.com, fox.com, CBS.com) and those websites work no problem. So try that out.
    02-23-12 10:42 AM
    I called NetFlix yesterday and was told by the CSR that RIM was working on the app, but they wanted to have it ready for both the PlayBook and BB10 phones. I'm guessing we probably won't see some of the bigger apps for a while.

Could just be a NetFlix CSR spouting off, but it sounded like it was a question she'd been asked many times.
    02-23-12 10:56 AM
    I mentioned this sometime back in another thread:

I suggest everyone swarm Roma De. His profile:

"I�m Roma De and as director of product management at Netflix, helping to expand the number of the devices that support streaming from Netflix is a major part of my job. Device expansion is also a key part of the company strategy."

Here is his email address:

[email protected]
    This email address must not be current anymore. I tried to email him and says cannot connect to server.
    02-23-12 01:31 PM
    Now i am totally shocked!!!!!! Vita gets Netflix on Day one???

We have long been looking forward to bringing you Netflix on a Sony handheld game device and today, Netflix comes to Sony's newly-launched PS Vita. If you�re a fan of Netflix on PS3, you�ll find the experience familiar, but with a design tailored to Vita�s handheld size and the ability to navigate with buttons or touch. It�s a fun device to use, and instantly watching TV episodes and movies looks great on the Vita screen. The app is available now for free download from the PlayStation Store.

We hope you enjoy another way to watch Netflix wherever you are.

- Brady Gunderson, Netflix product development

If you want to email Brady:
    bgunderson@....
    02-23-12 01:49 PM
    I have had this problem as well with amazon. I find if you clear the cache it will then work most of the time. Not sure why that is.
    02-23-12 02:27 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD