Now personally I LOVE my PlayBook and gave away my Samsung Galaxy Tab pre-OS2. So here are some things that I feel are important that are still missing in OS2 that would be a HUGE improvement

I'll start with the web browser

1. Password Manager (store logins for websites that you've been to)
    2. Better Cookie Manager (It seems every time I close the browser I'd have to re-login. there should be an option to stay logged in)
    3. Addons and plugins (steal a play out of Firefox and Dolphin's playbook and have addons to enhance the browser itself)

Applications

1. Netflix, Hulu etc. (We all know that even though the PlayBook is a great entertainment device it lacks major media streaming services which is a major gripe for me)
    2. BBM (needs no explanation, we want it and we should have it)
    3. Skype, Oovoo etc (even though the native video chat has gotten a nice little update in OS2 it still doesn't have the wide ranging reach as the big leagues and with the HD cameras the PlayBook has there's no reason not to have it)
    4. Wikitude (or any augmented reality browser would be a great addition)
    5. Better Keyboard (Even though the new improvements on the keyboard are nice it's still really plain and still need a "swype" like feature that will appeal to many former android users even though I don't use it personally I think it would help immensely.

If you feel like there's anything I missed or you just want to add your 2 cents feel free. I'm pretty sure if we talk about it enough someone at RIM will eventually get us what we want
    02-22-12 04:41 PM
    a standalone bbm app would be very nice.

I could see something like the password manager, maybe something sorta similiar to the password safe on the blackberry phones?

I dont like swype personally, but my fiancee really likes it, would be nice to have other input options, i hope they wouldn't do it in the same way as android though, i had the keyboard on my optimus 3d crash many many times.

Personally one thing i would really like is a m.a.m.e app for the playbook with bluetooth mapping controls, so i could play arcade classics on my playbook and control it with a wiimote. You can do this already on android.
    02-22-12 04:49 PM
    I saw passwordmanager on appworld

What i am missing is search in the webbrowser.

I often use it to find key word on a Website on firefox etc and its bothering me not to have it on playbook. But also bb browser has not the best there.

The auto correction is still not perfect especially if you using more than one language.

*edit*
    Apps - yes I really would like Skype for video chat and calls as I can not use the bb build. In one as here nobody. Has a playbook.
    Last edited by boldkeyboardholic; 02-22-12 at 05:14 PM.
    Bobcat665 and bb4lifeman like this.
    02-22-12 05:07 PM
    Vault is a really good password manager.
    rshew, kennyliu and rotorwrench like this.
    02-22-12 05:10 PM
    I'd love application grouping, as in WebOS
    02-22-12 05:14 PM
    Um ... I stay logged onto sites I revisit. I did in 1.8 too ... that hasn't changed. Don't know why you aren't but I don't think it's a PB issue.

The rest we've heard to death, frankly.

As for predictive text ... meh ... it's a non-issue for me, personally. it takes me longer to use it than to type it out myself.

By the way, the "big things" you mention were never promised to you by RIM ... and as a Canadian their use would be minimal for me at best so those things matter to me not at all.

Everyone's needs are different, as we have all seen. What's important to you might not matter to everyone else. I suppose that's what makes the world big enough for various platforms with differing priorities.
    Last edited by hpjrt; 02-22-12 at 05:22 PM.
    02-22-12 05:20 PM
    I appreciate threads like this because it helps me make a more informed decision when I finally do purchase a playbook. When it comes to buying a tablet, I need Hulu on it. It can't be all productivity. I like to have a little fun too. For such a portable size tablet, that app would be great when travelling. I have an iPad and it's just too big to travel with. Love it when I'm at home lounging around on the couch, but it's just too big to toss in a bag and actually use the thing in public. The price for the PB is right for me. Saw on OfficeDepot.com that the 16GB was going for $199. That's not too bad at all.
    xraytid likes this.
    02-22-12 05:23 PM
    I like this thread and agree with the OP.

RIM still needs to fix App world to make it more user friendly and have the ability to search/sort apps by the rating systems as well.
    xraytid likes this.
    02-22-12 09:40 PM

What i am missing is search in the web browser..
    You can always just type the word in the Web browser's url bar and hit enter then it will load the search results from either Bing or Google which ever your default search engine is.

I agree with all of you guys as far as everyone has different needs but these are things that appeal to a broader spectrum of users and most of the things on the list I don't even use personally but if I were a product manager for RIM those are things I would want to have by product launch with 1.0

It's not what is promised by a company its how they appeal to the potential consumers and the broader the selection you have the more consumers you can potentially have.
    02-23-12 02:36 PM
    I'd like to see TRUE multitasking with App: Like being able to listen a music playlist on youtube and using the facebook App at the same time or any others app !

With the Beta OS sometime it was working but it was a bug.. and it should be a feature since the hardware is able.
    02-23-12 03:01 PM
    You can always just type the word in the Web browser's url bar and hit enter then it will load the search results from either Bing or Google which ever your default search engine is.
    The OP is talking about "Find" in the Browser... not a web search. For instance, say I've got the Crackberry forums loaded, and I'm looking for the word "sideload" or "os2". There's not "FIND" function in the browser. My only option is to read every word on the page instead of a CTRL-F "FIND" function.
    Bobcat665 and peter9477 like this.
    02-23-12 03:16 PM
    Um ... I stay logged onto sites I revisit. I did in 1.8 too ... that hasn't changed. Don't know why you aren't but I don't think it's a PB issue.
    Doesn't stay logged in for me either. Maybe you have a magic Playbook? It does for the same browsing session, but if I log in to Crackberry, and quit the browser (or it crashes), and I reload Crackberry, I have to type in username and password all over again. It should remember this info. Didn't for me in 1.8 and doesn't in 2.0. It's a huge pain if you like reading forums or other content where you must be logged in.
    02-23-12 03:19 PM
    How about a good GPS/Navigation option? A lot of these are apps, not OS but I'd like to see it anyway.
    02-23-12 03:33 PM
    I agree on nearly all.
    02-23-12 03:41 PM
    Good app developers are staying away. RIM PB development teams are working on other things. Production has stopped. Any plans for a PB-2 are on hold. Where are any future improvements going to come from?
    And you know this how?
    Barljo and Bobcat665 like this.
    02-23-12 06:33 PM
    I'd like to see TRUE multitasking with App: Like being able to listen a music playlist on youtube and using the facebook App at the same time or any others app !

With the Beta OS sometime it was working but it was a bug.. and it should be a feature since the hardware is able.
    I can listen to youtube and use the facebook app at the same time. Is your pb set to showcase?

I haven't been able to get youtube to play and browse in another tab however. That functionality would be nice
    02-23-12 06:41 PM
    There's no official twitter app

also: it'd be nice to be able to sync specified bridge email accounts. for example: if I have my GMail account synced, i can access it unbridged, but when bridged it syncs read/unread et all.
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    02-29-12 04:19 PM
    To the OP, nicely done, NO criticism just plain old fashion SUGGESTIONS. A LOT of posters can take lessons on how this was done.....now with that said, I agree the PlayBook still has room to grow and I hope RIM knows this and keeps up with the regular updates....Thanks OP....GOOD job
    02-29-12 04:32 PM
    I would like the ability to email a link from the browser or the Appworld. Copy and paste the URL is not really cool.

BlackBerry Bold® 9930 using Tapatalk
    SaintThomasAquinas likes this.
    02-29-12 04:53 PM
    Flash support believe it or not. Ever since Adobe announced they are scrapping all plans to develop flash updates on mobile devices, it seems like more and more sites are upgrading the flash player on their Windows or Mac based sites. This means that a strong feature the Playbook had at launch, is quickly becoming a disadvantage.

Amazon updated its flash player on movies so now they don't work on the Playbook. Apparently from what I am reading on a thread today, this also happened to the NBA League Pass site. If more and more sites do this, the Playbook is further weakened by compatibility issues.

Does RIM not see this happening before their eyes? Also with a dearth of apps, there is no quick fix.

The Playbook is an excellent tablet from a hardware and OS perspective. The problem? RIM is being run by clueless leadership that doesn't seem to understand the consumer market at all...
    02-29-12 06:29 PM
    Chinese language support
    kjic13 likes this.
    02-29-12 07:04 PM
    One tiny thing I want is for video files to be arranged into folders. It's 2012 for crying out loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02-29-12 07:07 PM
    Also, AC3 support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02-29-12 07:10 PM
    Always amazed how so many "want" so many things..... It is a common thread especially with Playbook users..... Everytihng bought up is subjective... I think all the options and addition posted are all well and good but for me I do not need any of them.. not interest whatesoever...

I guess I am the type who appreciated first what I have in the Playbook... What else I would want to see is secondary.... really does not matter to me... I can make a wish list but you know what... whether they show up or not is no nevermind to me...

I love my playbook without qualifiers thus I am not "wanting" more.....
    02-29-12 07:19 PM
    dbmalloy - most strong companies that provide goods to consumers are constantly asking "what can we do better". The good ones figure out not only the things we think we want, but, the things we don't even know we need yet! I remember when I got my first "big blue" BlackBerry how many times I got asked "why do you need to get email on your phone?". Now I can't imagine what I would do if I left my phone on the table in the morning, something I used to do all the time (emphasis on used to). I want those things I haven't even thought about yet, in addition to many of the things already mentioned in this thread. From what I see on this blog I think RIM already knows about much of it and are already working on it, and from what I have seen this week, some things I didn't know I needed - that I might just really want - did you see that TAT video today...
    02-29-12 08:17 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD