I've downloaded two Android apps via appworld now, and both are freezing solid on a regular basis. The freeze appears to be the player itself, as I am unable to launch any other Android apps until I restart my PlayBook.

Does anyone know of a way to force close the Android player, such that a full restart isn't necessary? Am I alone in experiencing this issue?
    02-22-12 03:07 PM
    Had the same problem today, had wordpress & a podcast app open, both android apps, both froze and all I had was a screen saying recent applications, wouldn't let me select anything had to do a restart
    02-22-12 03:11 PM
    I've downloaded two Android apps via appworld now, and both are freezing solid on a regular basis. The freeze appears to be the player itself, as I am unable to launch any other Android apps until I restart my PlayBook.

Does anyone know of a way to force close the Android player, such that a full restart isn't necessary? Am I alone in experiencing this issue?
    One word--garbage
    Two words--utterly junk

that's what the android player is.
    02-22-12 03:17 PM
    An update: I found that the player does eventually reset itself, if closed and left alone long enough. This doesn't make it convenient, especially if you actually want to use an Android app, but it does, eventually, save you a restart.

I'll reiterate the question though, is anyone aware of a way to force close the player, thus permitting timely use of frozen Android apps?
    02-22-12 04:03 PM
    I've had it freeze for a couple of minutes; for some reason mine shows the Bing Logo over a blank black screen when frozen.

I have no idea what that's about.
    02-22-12 04:30 PM
    I have this same problem. The Android player and apps work great when you initially start them, but then the player freezes and you only see "Recent Applications". This is kind of a big issue considering it's one of the selling points.
    02-23-12 11:51 AM
    Same here .. and it gets worse if you try to go into full screen mode with one of the books ....very hard to get back out of full screen let alone close it down
    02-23-12 03:39 PM
    Yeah, me too, on Android, you have the ability to force close apps, only way I figured on the Playbook is to reset.
    On a side note, I'm a little disappointed in tapatalk for pb. I have the paid Android version on my phone, I also downloaded the paid pb version, thinking it would be pb native, but its not. It opens in Android player. The app world should differentiate between Ports and native pb apps.
    02-23-12 05:09 PM
    The frequency of freezing is pretty bad. I haven't found a way around it besides restarting which we all know takes an eternity. Makes me afraid to open my Android apps.
    02-23-12 05:24 PM
    Same here .. and it gets worse if you try to go into full screen mode with one of the books ....very hard to get back out of full screen let alone close it down
    swipe down can bring up the menu bar of the android player, which has a back button on the left, which can help you quit the full screen mode.

It probably takes a couple of minutes for the android player to reset itself. Just as a word of caution, one android app at a time, and better close other applications before opening another one.

android is not like qnx, but I like the android player, and have been playing ondemand videos within the android player for hours w/o issues. Also the converted es file explorer runs stable within the android player, and I was able to transfer >1gb data via sftp w/o interruptions. Of course, I have the native email open all the time, occasionally check/manage emails at the same time.

Thank god, I like multitasking. Android/iOS itself in no way could do those.
    Last edited by angellsl; 02-23-12 at 05:42 PM.
    02-23-12 05:36 PM
    Having similar issues...it seems I have to take caution when opening Android apps. It usually freezes with a black screen, and I am unable to open any other sideloaded apps utilising the Player as it just ends up opening the same screen. Does installing the Android Task Killer app to terminate these apps work? But if it utilises Android Player I won't be even be able to open it.
    02-25-12 08:04 AM
    Install ghost commander. It will allow you to access the android files, and you will be able to force close android apps through settings.
    02-25-12 08:11 AM
    Add me to the list.
    This is extremely disappointing to me as the ability to use android apps was the ONLY thing I cared about OS2. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

It took me ages to recover from the last freeze.
    dave1701 likes this.
    02-25-12 09:38 AM
    Add me to the list.
    This is extremely disappointing to me as the ability to use android apps was the ONLY thing I cared about OS2. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

It took me ages to recover from the last freeze.
    Just get an Android tablet will solve your problems if you you only care about android apps in os 2.0
    02-25-12 10:19 AM
    Had mine freeze a couple times so far. Using a 3rd party killer as suggested above isn't a good solution because android apps have a tendency to repeat the problem once you reopen one that was force closed until you reboot. I have to reboot my android phone because of this same issue occasionally and it's running the same version of android this player was based off of.
    drajeev123 and Harryl6134 like this.
    02-25-12 10:47 AM
    Just get an Android tablet will solve your problems if you you only care about android apps in os 2.0
    Sadly there is no android tablet that compares to the pb in the $200 price range and the kindle fire is mostly useless in Canada

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    02-25-12 05:42 PM
    I've noticed that the android player freezes quite often rendering all android applications useless. The only option left is to restart the playbook. And it freezes for no apparent reason while running an Android app like taptu or bord etc. If it's working, you can't freeze it by say quickly moving between different android apps or quickly entering multiple commands. It just freezes randomly when you would least expect. Also if I close it and leave it it does recover in 15 minutes or so saving a restart. It's frustrating nonetheless.
    02-25-12 11:33 PM
    How come they could push such a crappy android player after months of beta testing!
    dave1701 likes this.
    02-25-12 11:35 PM
    Leaving the android player closed does not always recover it, atleast not in 30 min, after which I lost patience and restarted playbook
    Last edited by drajeev123; 02-26-12 at 02:37 AM.
    02-26-12 02:35 AM
    Install ghost commander. It will allow you to access the android files, and you will be able to force close android apps through settings.
    You can't, the Android Player is freezed and Ghost Commander will not launch in this case.
    drajeev123 likes this.
    02-26-12 03:41 AM
    You can't, the Android Player is freezed and Ghost Commander will not launch in this case.
    That's very true. The problem is not with applications freezing but it's about the android emulator freezing. It's rather very disappointing and frustrating. Can't even buy applications from app world because you don't know before hand whether it's a ported android app or an actual native playbook app.
    Last edited by drajeev123; 02-26-12 at 07:07 AM.
    02-26-12 07:03 AM
    I hope we get native apps. The only reason I cared about android was for people to get apps they want. If it is this bad, I'm not using them, then it sounds like RIM has a bunch of work and updates to release. Good thought with poor execution.

So this is even with the ones in app world and not just side loaded?
    02-26-12 07:29 AM
    It's the side loaded version...not RIM approved.
    02-26-12 07:31 AM
    Yeah, I'm getting the same problem. I only care about Kindle and it's constantly freezing. What a PITA.
    I hope there is a way to fix this soon, you think?
    02-26-12 08:49 AM
    I hope we get native apps. The only reason I cared about android was for people to get apps they want. If it is this bad, I'm not using them, then it sounds like RIM has a bunch of work and updates to release. Good thought with poor execution.

So this is even with the ones in app world and not just side loaded?
    This is with the android apps officially available in blackberry app world.
    Last edited by drajeev123; 02-26-12 at 08:59 AM.
    02-26-12 08:55 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD