This question is going to be directed towards people with fairly advanced network knowledge. I have a WiFi range extender D link DAP 1360 on my main floor set with a static IP (required by that device's settings). My home network router is supplied by Rogers Cable and is one of those modem/router combos: SMC 8014W-G located upstairs. Both are set to 802.11G mode because the main router isn't N compatible.

I know the range extender is working properly because if I turn on a device near it, it is getting the boosted signal from it, not the network router. This is fine for my stationary devices across the home. The problem is that the Playbook, if I bring it from floor to floor, will lose internet access when it crosses from my repeater to my router, and visa-versa. The WiFi indicator will show that it has entered the new signal range, but internet connections will not work, ie. browser, app world etc.

Then I tried shutting my Playbook's WiFi off between floors, and reconnecting at the next location and noticed something odd - I have to leave the wifi off for 10+ minutes and sometimes even restart the playbook or that method will not work either.

Any ideas? This is happening on my phone as well so something is wrong with my home network handing over signal between router and repeater. My playbook wifi settings does have inter-access point handover enabled, automatically obtain IP address (although it never changes for some reason) and WPA2 Personal encryption.
    Last edited by omniusovermind; 02-22-12 at 09:33 AM.
    02-22-12 09:23 AM
    I have encountered the same issue. I have a fairly long house, and have a WiFi extender on the opposite end of the house from where the modem/router is located. My BB phone seems to automatically switch between the two WiFi signals, but my Playbook does not. It's less of a problem for me, because I never lose signal entirely I just have a degraded signal if I am connected to the wrong WiFi.

I have found though that just rebooting the Playbook is usually enough to get it to connect to the proper WiFi signal.
    02-22-12 09:32 AM
    ok just tested both playbook and my phone. I activated wifi on both devices at my range extender and both worked. Then I shut both off, waited 10 minutes, and turned both on again upstairs near my router and both worked. For some reason, my network will not hand over signal between the two unless the WiFi on them is shut off for around 10 minutes
    02-22-12 09:38 AM
    Working fine here in a more standard setup.
    2 AP's with same SSID and same security settings. Only difference is channel #. It jumps from one to the other and back without issue.
    02-22-12 11:57 AM
    Try setting the Playbook with static settings ; IP, DNS, Subnet, Gateway etc. ? I think the PB is trying to connect to the other networks (repeater) with conflicting settings.
    02-22-12 12:19 PM
    Try setting the Playbook with static settings ; IP, DNS, Subnet, Gateway etc. ? I think the PB is trying to connect to the other networks (repeater) with conflicting settings.
    it's the same network, same settings on both router and repeater. I had thought maybe that the hand-off is failing because the repeater and router signals are not overlapping properly. But they should be, because if I turn the repeater off, I still get some signal in the repeater's location from the router upstairs.
    02-22-12 12:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD