Hi all, just got my 9790 last night coming from a 9700 and to be honest my first impression is the poor build quaility.....maybe its just me being fussy but the 9790 feels very plastic and not like a Bold should.

Now Im stuck what to do.....Do I send it back and go for a 9900??

On the plus side the phone is very fast, keyboard amazing and a joy to type on as you'd expect from BB and the screens nice and sharp.
    02-22-12 07:26 AM
    I use the 9900 myself. Picked up a 9790 for my girlfriend and my first impression was that it felt very plastic. The 9900's build quality seems much nicer. That being said, I think it was RIM's intention to make it this way as it is supposed to be a lower tier Bold. I actually think that it is a bit too small for my liking. Especially with the smooth back door, I can't really get a good grip on the device.
    02-22-12 07:52 AM
    Plastic does not equal bad build quality. Ive owned a 9700 and a 9900. For me the 9700 did not feel better in any kind of way concerning haptic. The 9900 does present a noticable difference and feels quite a bit more solid, but then again it costs an additional 100€ where I live. I'm more than happy with my 9790 and would recommend you sticking with it.
    02-22-12 07:57 AM
    I have to disagree.

At first, I didn't like the idea of raised buttons and the plastic back.

However, having used the 9790. It is really nice to hold and cracking phone.
    02-23-12 01:47 PM
    I have to disagree.

At first, I didn't like the idea of raised buttons and the plastic back.

However, having used the 9790. It is really nice to hold and cracking phone.
    disagree, dunno what the OP talking abut
    it's an amazing phone and built quality is awesome
    02-24-12 02:39 AM
    We need to understand that each phone is unique. All the parts are assembled by hand. So in each series there are some differences which are only noticable under a magnifying glass.
    The casing for example can sometimes sit tight and sometimes not so tight. You can't see it but you can hear it, when you squeeze it a bit. If it sits a bit loose you can hear the typical plasticy squeaks.

My Bold 9700 squeaks more since day one than my 9790. On the latter I haven't found a squeaky spot yet. I guess this time I've got a better selection.

If build quality is such an issue to you and if you have the money, just order a row of the same model and choose the best. Then send the others back. Easy po peasy.
    02-27-12 05:46 PM
    I don't know? I'm coming from a 9700 and I'm happy with the build of my 9790. Made in mexico I believe. I've been lucky with all my Blackberries I guess physically I've had no issues with any except about 1.5 yrs into owning my 9000 the lock button on the top stopped working, probably from over use.
    02-27-12 06:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD