I am not arrogant or egotistical but after many months delay on PB 2.0 all we get is 3 new apps and a limited android player? I really thought that there will be a surprise with 2.0, that after many months they would pleasantly surprise us with something but.....all in vain. They delivered exactly as promised, nothing more. An OS that could have been written in 2 weeks took almost a year to materialize. Features that were typical launch features I would expect a beginner developer to be able to put together took months.

Why would anybody think that RIM can recover from this? They are at least 1 year behind the market (as always) and things are only getting worse. I used to be a BlackBerry user (many years) and supporter but after today I no longer have faith in this company and its products. The only compelling reason to get a PB is the price. You can get a good tablet for $199 but don't expect bells and whistles.

The calendar app that can sync with Google Calendar however only the primary calendar can be displayed. I like the Messaging app but it isn't something extraordinary. It's a feature that should have been there last April at the PB launch.

OS 2.0 will not get me to use my PB any more than previously. Hopefully once Android apps start flowing in I will pick it up again but until then my PB will continue to sit in its nice leather case in the nicest drawer I have.
    dennie82 and djnshores like this.
    02-21-12 08:10 PM
    I hear your frustration and I'm not suggesting you are wrong.
    But if you're not happy with your device, one option would be to give it away another to sell it.

The forum for market place might net you a few bucks for a device you're unhappy with.

Otherwise, the only question I see is "Really... this is it?" and to that I say, "Yes, really, this is it."
    black hole likes this.
    02-21-12 08:22 PM
    ...They delivered exactly as promised, nothing more
    *chuckle* and still people are unhappy

At least they delivered, and on time, more than they have in the past.

02-21-12 08:31 PM
    i somewhat agree with you to the fact that

the stable 2.0 OS does not get me to use my PB more either,

it does highlight the benefit of owning a BB phone device and PB

but to all the other users like me that dont own a BB phone, the update just seems like these features should have been released when product launched

features that i was expecting (no bridging or calender or messaging) a better browsing experience with the native browser when using javascript and flash, the couple pages i frequent daily still take almost a 30-45 seconds to load up and the new update did not improve on this.

i also wanted the OS to have better memory management and the ability to prompt the user PRIOR to the OS just shutting down apps, havent gotten around to test this yet
    djnshores likes this.
    02-21-12 08:31 PM
    I like being a year behind the curve.
    djnshores likes this.
    02-21-12 08:33 PM
    i have the same feeling as OP, been a BB supporter, i am rather frustrated and sad and what they have given us after 10 month to work on it
    djnshores likes this.
    02-21-12 08:33 PM
    Well - if you guys had been paying attention to all the CES, DEVCON videos, or even showing up here now & again - you would have had your expectations set months ago. There was only so many things announced, confirmed & coming with 2.0

First 1.0 doesn't come with e-mail and people cry foul as if it is all that matters. Now people speak as if 2.0 doesn't matter now and e-mail is insignificant any how.

Sure, I wish there would be more - but I researched & set my expectations to align with... REALITY.
    02-21-12 08:39 PM
    i have the same feeling as OP, been a BB supporter, i am rather frustrated and sad and what they have given us after 10 month to work on it
    Count me in too! I posted my disappointment earlier in another thread, got thoroughly flamed, and the Forum Administrator shut down the thread. Unbelievable! I have never been censored for expressing my opinion.

The news coming out on OS 2.0 has been predominantly negative. The response in this forum has been to cry foul and discredit the source. I am disappointed that it doesn't sync with Outlook better. I am also disappointed in the limited Android apps that I have to get from the Blackberry App Store. I just don't see any improvements in the near future. Apparently developers still don't want to code for the Playbook. The App store is still bare.

Granted it is a welcome change from OS 1.08 but falls far short of my expectations.

I am having thoughts of selling, trading, or otherwise disposing of the PB. But I will likely keep it for the HD camera and MP3 capabilities. The native email client does soften the blow.
    02-21-12 08:47 PM
    I knew I would hear something like this. I was speaking to a co-worker last week on how I suspect that after the OS2 launch, some people would be disappointed that this update didn't "change the world as we know it".

I didn't expect it to at all. Personally, I thought OS1 was pretty awesome. While the updates to OS2 seem small, I am sure that there are some major changes under the hood as an already snappy tablet looks and feels even BETTER.

I like what they did with the notifications and email system. Finally my gmail is something more than access through the website. My notification light works! Keep in mind I do not own a BB phone, and while these types of things might have worked for others in the past this is the first time it works for me! The sync of facebook events to the calendar is awesome, as is the way you can add things to it.

The facebook sync is great too. I am really enjoying the way it feels as a whole.

This is a great tablet with an OS that was good *before* and just got even better. I personally cannot think of how this can be a better companion aside from more apps (which will be coming!)

I will say super job to RIM! A much appreciated update!
    Last edited by zektor666; 02-21-12 at 08:50 PM.
    02-21-12 08:48 PM
    Obviously the poster has not concept how complex an operating system is.... as with most end users they seen to thing it just happens and when you want to add something you just do so..... \It takes consdierable time and effort to make sure additions do not affet other parts of the OS....Gets quite tiresome to see so many users who get themselves worked up with the pending os release. Do no research as to what is being said about it and separate rumour from fact... The only known quantity about OS2 was it would have email and an Android player... anything else unrtil shown was rumor.... I do not know how many users have posted why there is no Android and no apps.... RIM made it very clear it would be integrated in the the OS.... and apps would not be different in id from native apps for the pb.... As for email... I think it is great but many may not... that is the problem with any media.... it is personal prefernece.... Time for people to take a deep breath and realize non of us get everyting we were hoping for... That is why god created updates.....
    02-21-12 08:49 PM
    Using the statement "it shouldve been there from the start" doesnt mean much, because some of the features werent there and it cant be changed.
    Now that they are there, its a much more complete solution.
    It doesnt take a few weeks to implement things such as this when you consider the level of security that is in the QNX OS (rooting aside), it is a much more complex layer.
    Do not forget as well, the business features which most of us wont see, for the PB used in Enterprise settings.
    Personally I use my PB the same and always will, but that is also because when I purchased it, it suited what I needed it to do (again native email aside) but how hard is it to open a browser and login to webmail, etc?
    People whinge about no twitter app, imdb but really arent people able to open the browser, type an address and save to favourites? Not too hard.
    02-21-12 08:50 PM
    I am not arrogant or egotistical but after many months delay on PB 2.0 all we get is 3 new apps and a limited android player? I really thought that there will be a surprise with 2.0, that after many months they would pleasantly surprise us with something but.....all in vain. They delivered exactly as promised, nothing more. An OS that could have been written in 2 weeks took almost a year to materialize. Features that were typical launch features I would expect a beginner developer to be able to put together took months.
    We have a lot in common. I am self-effacing and modest just like you. But I can count better than you can. Furthermore, as a developer myself, I know that you are wrong about what a novice developer can accomplish (in comparison to what RIM has delivered in this update). Therefore, it is my humble opinion that you don't know what you are talking about.
    02-21-12 08:52 PM
    I do think 2.0 makes the Playbook useable for most people, but I have to agree partially with the original poster on some disappointments. Overall the changes to 2.0 are great and there was a lot of work put in, but RIM was playing catch-up. There are some features that I frankly can't comprehend why they were not put in after all this time, they are not deal breakers, but they make the Playbook frustrating to use -

- Bookmarks for the browser. It's embarrassing that there is still no option to order or rename them and have those changes persist. It makes the browser experience seem unfinished and rather bush league.

- Why no portrait mode for the new messages app? With the predictive text and auto correct, typing in portrait on the PB is almost as fast and accurate as typing on my bold. I have big hands but still struggle to type as fast on landscape as I can portrait.

- Videos app still doesn't start where you left off on a movie or indicate if you have already watched one of your movies. I'm not a developer, but that doesn't seem like a very difficult thing to provide, and adds to the polish of the product tremendously.

I understand RIM has no control over 3rd party apps, and personally have no need or want for Netflix, but they should have worked more closely with Amazon (Kindle), Microsoft (Skype), and Netflix to either get the ability to build or port those apps themselves, or provided the appropriate incentive to have them built. RIM has had a long time (almost a year) to get this done and the excuse that its not RIM's responsibility doesn't fly, they can make it their responsibility.

On a positive note, the Contacts application and its integration of social media is one of the best features of 2.0. Its very impressive and RIM should foster the creativity behind the group that built this for other innovative features. Its way beyond any other contact manager I have seen in any other device.

Sophace
    Last edited by sophace; 02-21-12 at 09:01 PM.
    02-21-12 08:56 PM
    I think the OP is being very disingenuous. He/she didn't do his/her homework, didn't read the countless posts and blogs about what was and wasn't included in the update but feels confident in suggesting he/she could have performed a superior update in a mere two weeks! All the while claiming to NOT be arrogant or egotistical.

REALLY? Sometimes those who whine provide the most entertainment.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    02-21-12 08:57 PM
    Y'all are whining about 2.0? I'm still stuck on 1.0 (crappy internet). And know what? I'm still enjoying it. ...Except for right now, as it sits tethered to my laptop, fighting to download the update.
    Jeovex likes this.
    02-21-12 09:00 PM
    If it wasn't for the fact that they made the interface a bit more attractive, and an Android player with almost no real apps, I would personally view this as a 1.1 upgrade; maybe 1.5 is I wanted to be generous. The issue with email is that it should have been insignificant but RIM released the product last year without that most entry level of features. Instead, they now release the touted version 2 and it gives the Playbook features of a 2+ year old iPad or an old Android 2.2 tablet. Yes, it is what they promised and it was unreasonable for people to expect more than billed. It is, nevertheless, underwhelming and I wasn't even expecting much....
    02-21-12 09:04 PM
    Seriously, if people are upset w/the lack of Android apps, why not get an Android tablet?? Like others said, people complained there was no native email, contacts, calendar, etc and now that we it, people still aren't happy. I witnessed Apple users get so excited with iOS 5 where they were able to snap pics on their phones by pressing a button!!

I don't plan to update anytime soon, I'm quite content w/my PB as is...
    02-21-12 09:07 PM

I understand RIM has no control over 3rd party apps, and personally have no need or want for Netflix, but they should have worked more closely with Amazon (Kindle), Microsoft (Skype), and Netflix to either get the ability to build or port those apps themselves, or provided the appropriate incentive to have them built. RIM has had a long time (almost a year) to get this done and the excuse that its not RIM's responsibility doesn't fly, they can make it their responsibility.

Sophace
    Not saying RIM shouldn't have done better to get the big apps onto the platform, but they actually need to negotiate these agreements with these companies. You think Netflix, Skype, and Amazon are not holding RIM ransom? Skype and Amazon, especially, might have little incentive to build for RIM since they have their own platforms to support (WP and forked Android).

Some people might think OS2.0 is not all that great, others (i.e. me) think it's pretty awesome. Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but a LOT of work has been put into this (RIM's not just building a new version of the PlayBook OS, but the groundwork for BB10...which we hope to see shortly).
    02-21-12 09:09 PM
    Using the statement "it shouldve been there from the start" doesnt mean much, because some of the features werent there and it cant be changed.
    Now that they are there, its a much more complete solution.
    It doesnt take a few weeks to implement things such as this when you consider the level of security that is in the QNX OS (rooting aside), it is a much more complex layer.
    Do not forget as well, the business features which most of us wont see, for the PB used in Enterprise settings.
    Personally I use my PB the same and always will, but that is also because when I purchased it, it suited what I needed it to do (again native email aside) but how hard is it to open a browser and login to webmail, etc?
    People whinge about no twitter app, imdb but really arent people able to open the browser, type an address and save to favourites? Not too hard.
    1) I think you mean whine....
    2) I appears the RIM apologists are out in as great of numbers as the trolls. The OP was really not being all that harsh and your response is essentially that you can't blame RIM for their mistakes and delays. Sorry, but yes you can - they botched the original release; delivered a tablet lacking some of the most basic features; and then delivered those features a year later under the banner of OS 2.
    02-21-12 09:09 PM
    1) I think you mean whine....
    Actually "whinge" is a perfectly acceptable word. Perhaps you need a good dictionary app!
    02-21-12 09:17 PM
    erm.Mr OP.. dunno if you've explored all the new features or even tried using them but uhm.... my PlayBook is now better than my wife's iPad. She bought one on my visa today to "surprise" me.

The iPad is sitting on an end table with dozens and dozens of apps on it ... yet its not getting used...

>.>
    Pdinos3 and ILFees like this.
    02-21-12 09:21 PM
    Not saying RIM shouldn't have done better to get the big apps onto the platform, but they actually need to negotiate these agreements with these companies. You think Netflix, Skype, and Amazon are not holding RIM ransom? Skype and Amazon, especially, might have little incentive to build for RIM since they have their own platforms to support (WP and forked Android).
    That's my point, this product has been out almost a year and RIM has been working on it longer. There is no reason for these companies to hold RIM ransom - they all benefit by having the platform expanded. Netflix sells more movies, Amazon sells more books, Microsoft expands Skypes platform. they all partner with Apple who is enemy number one - Apple has their own movie service, Apple has their own book store, Apple has their own video chat service. Why should they be different with RIM? Rim either has to step up with the money, developers, or whatever else is needed to get this done.

Again, don't mean to rant and shed disappointment on 2.0. Most of what RIM has done with 2.0 they have very done well. I think the contacts, calender, and messaging app is very good, if not better than their competitors. I guess I wish they polished up some of the small things and pushed harder for apps the masses want.

Sophace
    02-21-12 09:22 PM
    I guess a lot of people have no idea about how long it takes to write decent software. If it takes 14 weeks to write double that to test and debug. This isn't the finish article it was probably feature frozen 4 months ago in the mean time the developers have been working hard on both fixing bugs and writing the next version. Don't moan about missing features as these will come it just takes a lot of time and effort and most of that is spent killing bugs.
    02-21-12 09:23 PM

The calendar app that can sync with Google Calendar however only the primary calendar can be displayed.
    Uhhh actually that's incorrect. All calendars can be displayed individually or merged. Swipe down from top while in the calendar to bring up all your calendars.

My apologies if someone else has already pointed this out. Can't read every post..so many excellent threads to get through, so little time.
    02-21-12 09:26 PM
    Look I am not demanding that people agree with me, that's just silly and narrow-minded. However, I feel like I should clarify a few things. First of all, I have done my research when it comes to this update. I have been using the Beta OS2 since BB Devcon and have developed two Android apps (currently pending approval). I knew exactly what was promised in this update and I have made myself clear that they have delivered on that. What I thought was that after the amount of time they had with the update they would surprise us with something on top of the confirmed additions.

In response to a couple replies on page 1 about me not knowing what I'm talking about and that I have no idea how complex an operating system is are pretty simplistic, direct comebacks to a disagreement the posters have with my opinions. I agree, I may have exaggerated when saying it could have taken a novice developer 2 weeks to write, I admit that. But considering that OS 2.0 was not created from scratch, merely tweaked and added to, it is not something that takes a tech. conglomerant with over two decades experience 10 months or so to deliver.

Also, to the reply of me not being familiar with the complexity of an OS I must ask, are you? Yes I have never delivered an OS from scratch but have enough computer science experience to have a pretty good idea of what it takes to put one together. Considering the PB is fairly limited in terms of modules, protocols and peripherals it is wrong to compare it to a desktop OS.

Also, RIM isn't the only corporation that has created an OS. Apple, Google, Microsoft all have mobile OS' and as far as I know they have all shipped from launch with these basic functionalities that RIM took nearly a year to deliver and I am not talking about advanced ones, BASIC ones such as email, calendar, address book etc. Until now the PB has basically been a glorified web browser with some lousy apps in the BB app store available for purchase/download.
    akaRichard likes this.
    02-21-12 09:28 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD