Has anyone had this issue with OS 2? I can set up an email account via Activesync, but the PB ignores the Activesync policies that are supposed to be enforced, most significantly the one that should force a device PIN code to be set before any email will sync. So I get the emails downloaded fine but without security being imposed. I know this is how Activesync "works" - if a device doesn't support a policy type then it's free to ignore it - but given RIM's longstanding focus on security I'm surprised they've dropped the ball on this. Maybe they're hoping to force people to buy Fusion/Device Server to get this functionality. That ain't the way to win customers.
    02-21-12 06:05 PM
    Well...I was not able to remote wipe the Playbook either thru Exchange 2007 when we tested it.

So no wipe and policy functionality. We tested both to allow Playbooks on ActiveSync which now will not happen.

Alex
    02-23-12 04:45 PM
    just tried this from Exchange 2010 owa console. The wipe removed the exchange data from the device but not the overall device data
    02-23-12 09:56 PM
    That is interesting.....for us on Exchange 2007 it did nothing. The Playbook was not able to sync anymore but all the data was still accessible on the Playbook.

I never got a wipe confirmation in the Exchange management console. We reset the device to factory settings and the Playbook was still not able to connect to ActiveSync until we removed the mobile device partnership. Then it worked again.

Alex
    02-24-12 07:19 AM
    It appears that the PlayBook does support limited ActiveSync policies under Exchange 2010 SP2.

For instance the ActiveSync policy I fall under does not allow non-provisionable devices and also requires specific password complexity. When I was adding the ActiveSync account to my PlayBook, I received a prompt stating BlackBerry Balance had been enabled and I had to create an "Enterprise" password for my device. What was interesting is in this create password window it had a "Password Rules" link that displayed the complexity requirements set in ActiveSync for device passwords!

As well, when you push device wipes through ActiveSync to the PlayBook, it only removes the ActiveSync account and content. All non-enterprise data remains on the device.
    02-27-12 12:06 AM
    As an end user, I set up access to our corporate Activesync, which caused BlackBerry Balance to be enabled with specific password complexity, just like the prior user.

However, I find that I cannot open attachments that I receive via my corporate email on the PlayBook. My BES administrator has also fiddled with this with no success.

I posted this on the RIM support forums and on their help blog, but RIM, so far, has been silent.
    Last edited by woofhaven; 02-28-12 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph; also fixed an autocorrect error
    02-27-12 12:43 PM
    As an end user, I set up access to our corporate Activesync, which caused BlackBerry Balance to be enabled with specific password complexity, just like the prior user.

However, I find that I cannot open attachments that I receive via my corporate email on the PlayBook. My BEST administrator has also fiddled with this with no success.

I posted this on the RIM support forums and on their help blog, but RIM, so far, has been silent.
    I have set up two PlayBooks on the same Active Sync server (and account). One caused Blackberry Balance to be configured and a PIN. The other let me set it up with no Balance. So it's not consistent.

On a happier note, i can download an attachment and then open it in Docs to go. I just tap the attachment and get the download timer. then i tap it again and it opens.
    woofhaven likes this.
    02-27-12 02:05 PM
    You're going to need Fusion PAS to be able to control the device to that length. We'll be installing it later this week hopefully. I'll post back the findings.

I think that RIM should have given Fusion for free to BES customers who have bought PlayBooks, then charge for CAL's for non RIM devices to be controlled by it but not PB's. Now it's just ANOTHER barrier to get PB's into an organisation with a very luke warm approach to BB.
    02-27-12 02:21 PM
    Filbert42: are attachments opening in both PlayBooks for you, or just the one with Balance activated?
    02-27-12 11:29 PM
    It worked perfectly for me on our Exchange 2007 server. Balance loaded and configured the following:

Device and account password.
    Work folder with a separated Browser ( they load independently and copy/paste between them is blocked)
    Enterprise Print To Go folder
    Enterprise document folder.

Attachments from work email are automatically saved in the Enterprise folder, while files attachments sent to personal email are saved in my personal folders. Print to Go unfortunately now sends all documents to enterprise folders no matter where I send from.
    02-28-12 01:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD