Anyone found out if DNLA is available on OS2??
    02-21-12 08:27 AM
    I'm not at home so I can't check myself, but I think it's through Options > Storage & Sharing > Wifi Sharing.
    02-21-12 08:32 AM
    I'm not at home so I can't check myself, but I think it's through Options > Storage & Sharing > Wifi Sharing.
    Nothing new there ... searching for it. Keep informed.
    02-21-12 08:36 AM
    Haven't seen anything either.... Was really hoping we would :/ Hard to believe they put it on BB 7.1 but we aren't seeing it here

Hopefully we get an update soon that has it.
    02-21-12 10:48 AM
    Turned on my PS3, didn't find the PlayBook
    02-21-12 10:57 AM
    DLNA not in OS2. Another RIM promise (2Q2011) broken.
    02-21-12 11:19 AM
    What promise? I never saw a DLNA promise. I really don't see what the functionality is that is so important with DLNA. So you can view stuff saved on your playbook? Can you also view websites from the playbook. Mirror the screen on a DLNA tv? If not, then what is the point? Everything on your playbook is most likely already on your network. I guess it would be nice, but it isn't that big of a deal.
    02-21-12 11:22 AM
    RIM never promised OS 2.0 would have DLNA. That's just something people on the forums speculated it might have.
    02-21-12 11:44 AM
    It was promised last year it would come and they still were not able to put it in OS2

(BlackBerry PlayBook DLNA Media Streaming Certification Coming Soon - BerryReview)

So much for that.

Anyway, I've switched to a Samsung Slate and my Playbook can now catch dust.
    trickykid likes this.
    02-22-12 08:19 AM
    Why punish yourself?
    02-22-12 08:25 AM
    It was promised last year it would come and they still were not able to put it in OS2
    (BlackBerry PlayBook DLNA Media Streaming Certification Coming Soon - BerryReview)
    So much for that.
    Quick someone close this thread..else people will start questioning if RIM fulfilled its promises...LOL
    02-22-12 08:27 AM

So much for that.

What a joke....I swear to god, if the PB doesn't make dinner, do the dishes, walk the dog and attend the BOD meeting in your place & channel the dead.....EPIC FAIL....WTF people.
    kcorey, cylaer, merp23 and 2 others like this.
    02-22-12 08:33 AM
    What a joke....I swear to god, if the PB doesn't make dinner, do the dishes, walk the dog and attend the BOD meeting in your place & channel the dead.....EPIC FAIL....WTF people.
    OR maybe if it could only just let us arrange the browser bookmarks.....
    bquinney likes this.
    02-22-12 08:42 AM
    Wow, calm down man. No need to vent off here.

I was just stating the facts. Besides, that we still do not have DLNA does not have anything to do with me switching to another device.

The Slate is just much better suited to what I need to do compared to the Playbook, that's all. You know, sometimes people migrate to other devices because they are just better suited for the job than the old one.
    02-22-12 08:51 AM
    Why punish yourself?
    Punish? Its sub 900g with 64G SSD, i5 quadcore, UMTS, HDMI, Windows 7. Where is the punishment there (except the price tag) ?
    02-22-12 08:57 AM

So much for that.

"Coming soon" has never been a promise.

I've been spreading the word that it might come with OS2, for three reasons :
    1. RIM is now (for a week or so) listed on the DLNA site as a member
    2. Leaked os 7.1.0.267 for my 9900 includes this feature.
    3. DLNA Facebook page replies to my direct question in a vague way but acknowledged that RIM was active into DLNA.

I should bite my tongue ... but
    I won't be surprise if DLNA was just around the corner. I guess whe have some surprises to come, since they weren't embedded in initial OS2 release. This is the magic of OTA.

(all the above italics are 100% pure speculation)

Last, please put its coat on, and load it sometimes, or I call the WSPPB*, you brute !

*WSPPB : World Society for the Protection of the PlayBooks
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 02-22-12 at 09:08 AM.
    02-22-12 09:05 AM
    "Coming soon" has never been a promise.
    I've been spreading the word that it might come with OS2, for three reasons :
    1. RIM is now (for a week or so) listed on the DLNA site as a member
    2. Leaked os 7.1.0.267 for my 9900 includes this feature.
    3. DLNA Facebook page replies to my direct question in a vague way but acknowledged that RIM was active into DLNA.

I should bite my tongue ... but
    I won't be surprise if DLNA was just around the corner. I guess whe have some surprises to come, since they weren't embedded in initial OS2 release. This is the magic of OTA.

(all the above italics are 100% pure speculation)

Last, please put its coat on, and load it sometimes, or I call the WSPPB*, you brute !

*WSPPB : World Society for the Protection of the PlayBooks

DLNA could actually be referenced in the 7.1 leaks. Since it is not officially there yet, it is still "coming soon". But the Playbook will get DLNA. The 3g/4g versions are launching with it enabled (according to what I have been told). You are correct though, wont be difficult to add via OTA with incremental updates.
    02-22-12 09:09 AM
    Wow, calm down man. No need to vent off here.

I was just stating the facts. Besides, that we still do not have DLNA does not have anything to do with me switching to another device.

The Slate is just much better suited to what I need to do compared to the Playbook, that's all. You know, sometimes people migrate to other devices because they are just better suited for the job than the old one.
    Ha ha....fair enough. I feel ya here. I was on android for a few months. I tried real hard to make it work, but in the end, BB does the stuff I NEED to do better (for me) than droid.
    Sorry for the aggressive crack back. It just seems like, no matter what bb does, it's never enough.
    I totally agree that "what ever works" best for the individual. I like to think of myself as a glass 1/2 full kinda guy and the incessant smack thrown down RIM on gets old. (some of it well deserved)
    No harm no foul.....Peace bro
    02-22-12 09:09 AM
    Not sure about you guys but enabling "Options > Storage & Sharing > Wifi Sharing" allowed my LG Bluray to find the Playbook (afer a refresh or two) and show wirelesly pictures from the PlayBook on the TV connected to the Bluray.
    02-22-12 09:23 AM
    Yep, we have that feature since quite some time. But what DLNA really means is that you can take your PB and have movies or whatever else streamed from a DLNA server (like a NAS or multimedia server). So you can watch stuff without having it to download to the PB (like a TV show you've recorded on your media center).
    02-22-12 09:27 AM
    For those the at want to steam from their movie lib.
    I have since day 1 used my PB browser pointing to my Twonky managed movie / picture library (2.9 Terabyte) running on a Linux server. I use the web interface to select the movie I want to see and whala, I can go full screen etc. I can even attach my hdmi cable and pump it to my big screen, plays my HD movies just fine. I let my boxee and ps3 consoles also connect to my Twonky library.
    rcm1301 likes this.
    02-26-12 01:16 PM
    I saw an article recently (can't reference it though) that said RIM had received DLNA certification but it has not been implemented on the PB yet.
    02-26-12 02:04 PM
    While on the topic of DLNA can someone help me out.

I have a non DLNA Panasonic TV and I want a solution to stream content to TVs and home audio setups in my house.
    I have a wifi router setup. Is there a product which can plug into my TV using RCA jacks or HDMI and connect to my home network and then stream content from my PB, BB and laptops?

Any suggestions would be welcome.
    02-26-12 02:09 PM
    Warming up this thread ... any News on DLNA on Playbook?

It's the almost only device at my home not able to do ... I can stream media to/from WinXP PC's, 2 Samsung bada Cellphones, Samsung Smart TV and from Fritzbox WLAN Router.

With PB I miss the most to send media

Playbook --> TV
    Computer --> Playbook
    Computer --> TV with Playbook as DLNA-Remotecontrol Agent (not sure if that's a Samsung-only feature ... my cellphone can do that ... just the media selection is too complicated there)

Is there any progress in 2.1 beta? Any app that now works now?

Ray
    09-06-12 11:47 AM
    Warming up this thread ... any News on DLNA on Playbook?

It's the almost only device at my home not able to do ... I can stream media to/from WinXP PC's, 2 Samsung bada Cellphones, Samsung Smart TV and from Fritzbox WLAN Router.

With PB I miss the most to send media

Playbook --> TV
    Computer --> Playbook
    Computer --> TV with Playbook as DLNA-Remotecontrol Agent (not sure if that's a Samsung-only feature ... my cellphone can do that ... just the media selection is too complicated there)

Is there any progress in 2.1 beta? Any app that now works now?

Ray
    I think you may have to wait till OS 10 is released for the Playbook. It's been shown off in the OS 10 promo videos. I see no reason for them to push it into 2.1.
    peter9477 likes this.
    09-06-12 12:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD