I just setup my email on the PlayBook. When it synched with the email server it downloaded over two thousand messages, all unread. This was not unexpected, but I can see a way to mark them all as read so I don't have the email notification showing.

I read the OS2 user guide and couldn't find anything there.
    Last edited by robsteve; 02-21-12 at 08:22 AM.
    02-21-12 07:36 AM
    Same problem for me.
    02-21-12 08:18 AM
    Swipe down from the top and the mail menu will come up. Pick select and mark the emails you want to show as read and hit the read button.
    Last edited by paulvr01; 02-21-12 at 08:28 AM.
    02-21-12 08:25 AM
    Swipe down from the top and the mail menu will come up. Pick select and the foe the selection and hit the read button.
    Are you describing how to select all? I can follow your directions to mark one or a few read but how do I do all without hitting the tick box on 2,000 emails?
    02-21-12 08:29 AM
    I have a similar issue where I have the same 50 emails continuing to show up as unread every 30 minutes or so. Doesn't seem to matter if whether I delete them or mark them as unread. The keep reappearing.

Frustrating

Any suggestions?
    02-21-12 08:35 AM
    I think he needs a quicker way to do that. I can't find a "select all" once in the select section. It would take forever to go through thousands of messages and check them all just to mark as read.
    02-21-12 08:37 AM
    I couldn't find a "select all" either - lucky for me I only had about 300 messages to SELECT ONE AT A TIME!!! Grrr....
    02-21-12 08:53 AM
    Just tried a work around. I deleted the account and went through the setup again. In the setup there is an option for initial load. I set it to one day. This does not do what you would think. It just means it gets one days worth of messages, then continues to load all the messages in the online mailbox in the background, so I still get thousands of unread emails.

I am now working on another solution. I don't normally use the webmail interface, but use Mac mail and POP. Since the PlayBook seems to be using the webmail interface, I have gone into the webmail access via a web browser on my PC and have selected all the messages and then selected mark read. I will see if this syncs to the PlayBook or if I will have to delete the account on the PlayBook again and then set it up again for them to download as read.
    02-21-12 09:12 AM
    Same problem for me.
    Me too. 11600 gmails!
    02-21-12 09:17 AM
    Anyway of shutting off the preview pane?
    02-21-12 09:33 AM
    I have a similar issue where I have the same 50 emails continuing to show up as unread every 30 minutes or so. Doesn't seem to matter if whether I delete them or mark them as unread. The keep reappearing.

Frustrating

Any suggestions?
    Fixed the issue by deleting the account and recreating it as imap account using the advanced settings rather than pop account.
    02-21-12 09:35 AM
    Yes, once the emails are downloaded you would need to select them one at a time. I did about 300 that took me about 20 minutes. If you're able to go to the source to archive or limit the amount that comes down that would be easier. I didn't have them go back to being unread which would be frustrating.
    02-22-12 02:22 AM
    Odd way to multi-select:

1. swipe down from top to get the application menu
    2. pick Select
    3. check the first email and keep a finger on it
    4. with another finger, swipe down the list to check all the emails below
    5. release both fingers
    6. scroll down so that the first message is an unchecked one
    7. repeat from step 3 until all the ones you want are selected
    tumblingdice03 and info600 like this.
    02-22-12 02:58 AM
    Odd way to multi-select:

1. swipe down from top to get the application menu
    2. pick Select
    3. check the first email and keep a finger on it
    4. with another finger, swipe down the list to check all the emails below
    5. release both fingers
    6. scroll down so that the first message is an unchecked one
    7. repeat from step 3 until all the ones you want are selected
    you don't have to release both fingers for the scroll select, just keep one finger on near the bottom of the screen and keep panning down (or flicking the finger towards the top of the screen)
    02-22-12 03:13 AM
    I can not get my emails to stop loading... I get 23K worth of emails show up.. I have reinstalled the email account 5 times and nothing even tried doing IMAP as a previous member mentioned and it won't connect... any ideas?
    02-22-12 08:15 PM
    Really.... nobody knows what to do... this is klilling me... tried everything for a couple hours last night.. I even went to my outlook and deleted all my previous emails and I'm still getting 8K min worth of emails when setting up... WTF!
    02-23-12 07:42 AM
    This was the most helpful thread for me. Granted, I only had 200 messages to mark as read...
    02-25-12 01:44 PM
    Suddenly happened this morning that all my Gmail emails are showing as unread (by count) athough all emails are read....

grrr...
    02-25-12 09:18 PM
    you don't have to release both fingers for the scroll select, just keep one finger on near the bottom of the screen and keep panning down (or flicking the finger towards the top of the screen)
    Actually you don't even have to do that. All you have to do is spread your finger and your thumb apart and tap on the first and last email you want to select at the same time. All emails in between will get selected. Then scroll down the list and continue doing this until all the emails are selected. no need to flick or swipe your finger or hold one finger down. Hope this makes it a bit easier
    Last edited by jaysb; 03-01-12 at 09:22 AM.
    03-01-12 09:19 AM
    I installed Messages yesterday with the instruction to download only 3 days worth of messages. Then I went into Messages on the Playbook and manually deleted all of them. Today when I opened Messages, it re-downloaded all of them. I guess I'm going to have to go to the webmail level and move those messages OUT of the webmail inbox. I can't think of any other way to do it.

ETA: I uninstalled Messages. Then I went to my webmail and moved all of the 7,000+ messages but today's dozen or so (so far) out of the Inbox folder. I was able to configure the webmail display page with 1,000 messages per page, so I only had to do 7 moves. I have something like 35,000 emails stored at the web level in different folders. (I have an EXCELLENT webmail service. TOP NOTCH. I never get any spam in my computer's inbox a) because their filtering is so good, and b) because I go to my webmail and look in the spam folder there and can pull out anything that is real mail before it ever hits my computer. It costs me about $50 per year and is worth every penny. Excellent, personal customer service, too. Not sure if I'm allowed to promote them here by name. A mod can tell me.)

I reinstalled Messages on the Playbook, and the only emails that came in were the few I left in the webmail Inbox. I used to be in the habit of keeping my webmail inbox cleared out. I don't delete the messages, because I've had enough computer meltdowns that I need to be able to retrieve client emails and attachments from the past in case of Armageddon. Once I move them out of the Inbox and into a storage folder, I can always get to them if I need them. I have 10 gb of storage available but in ~10 years, I've only filled up 36% of that. And I can get more.

This seems like the only solution to this problem.
    Last edited by Lillieperl; 09-10-12 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Update
    09-10-12 12:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD