1. Is google sync necessary anymore? i had it on my 9700 to keep my contacts and calendar up to date, but now i think 7.1 is taking care of that through BIS and email?

2. Does wifi save or drain battery life? My office has terrible reception. i'm on H+ all the time, but only have 1 or 2 bars. We have wifi though. The reason why i ask this is because i saw it on the tips within the device, didn't make sense to me to turn on another radio.

3. Gold Battery - Amazon.com: Ecell - GOLD 2430MAH F-S1 BATTERY FOR BLACKBERRY TORCH 9800: Electronics

Have many people had experience with this battery/brand/seller? someone in another thread mentioned it. my battery isn't great, maybe i should try this?

Whats with that battery connector to activate the batter btw? Don't get that at all.

it's clear that i'm trying to improve battery life here.
    02-18-12 10:40 PM
    I don't trust those gold battery, if it was doable to fit 2430mah in a OEM size battery, we would see more than only 1 Chinese (or Japanese) seller selling that, someone like seido, or any other known brand. Keep a second battery or use something like this https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=Lm8XhhEa .

I'm sure wifi do drain the battery more than not using it, but sometime if you have very weak signal I'm sure using wifi would help (because having weak signal your device could switch between all kind of state, h+, 3g, edge, etc)

Google sync, I never used that.
    02-18-12 11:50 PM
    I used google sync back in the day, but yes its completely unnecessary now.

As for wifi...yeah any radio on uses more battery than radio off. However, the 4G/H+ is the real battery drain on my 9810. I've been lasting all day easy when I started leaving that off all day
    02-19-12 01:16 AM
    1. Is google sync necessary anymore? i had it on my 9700 to keep my contacts and calendar up to date, but now i think 7.1 is taking care of that through BIS and email?

2. Does wifi save or drain battery life? My office has terrible reception. i'm on H+ all the time, but only have 1 or 2 bars. We have wifi though. The reason why i ask this is because i saw it on the tips within the device, didn't make sense to me to turn on another radio.

3. Gold Battery - Amazon.com: Ecell - GOLD 2430MAH F-S1 BATTERY FOR BLACKBERRY TORCH 9800: Electronics

Have many people had experience with this battery/brand/seller? someone in another thread mentioned it. my battery isn't great, maybe i should try this?

Whats with that battery connector to activate the batter btw? Don't get that at all.

it's clear that i'm trying to improve battery life here.
    1) If you're always going to be buying Blackberry, Blackberry protect, DM, etc. backup your data. If you're unsure what your next phone (or maybe the one after that) is going to be, then Google sync gives you an option that will restore to whatever future phone you have.

2) Are you asking about wifi for wifi calling or for data. If it's for data, the more radios you have on, the more battery will be used. But, if cell signal is bad, the cellular radio is going to use more juice to maintain a signal. Piggybacking on wifi will avoid that. I'd assume the same is true for wifi calling. And, since you mention that it's at your office, you should be able to plug in the power cord.

3) I've seen only one mention of that battery. The person was happy with it. But there have been all kinds of fakes put out. Some dangerous. All need a code grabbed from the regular battery. That particular item doesn't mention including any kind of device or connector to do that. If you decide to buy it, be sure that's included. The picture is at an angle that made me unsure whether the battery was thicker than the usual battery or not. If it is thicker, you're going to want to be sure that a battery door comes with it.
    Last edited by kraski; 02-19-12 at 01:21 AM.
    02-19-12 01:17 AM
    I tried Blackberry sutomatically syncing my stuff, but I don't think it did a good enough job. Then I used the age old Google Sync with is exactly that: SO OLD! I have for 2500+ contacts, their pictures, their phone numbers with custom tags (which blackberry doesn't support through google sync). Then I tried an app that synced my outlook with my blackberry to google, and I got duplicates of my calendar, contacts were all fudged up... So I'd stay away from it. It was really important for me, I changed devices. I couldn't believe BB doesn't support it yet! I miss my BB so much though I want the 9810!

It really depends on your coverage. If you have LOW coverage then using wifi to keep the data connection will save you battery power as, mentioned before, the radio for your cellular network uses MORE power than maintaining the WIFI. I always use Wifi if I'm going to use data or expecting a lot of data or emails or whatever only for that reason.

I'd stay away from 3rd party battery people like that who claim such a high MAH. As I posted in the other thread asking about it:

Code:
    I will ask you to use some logic, because don't you think that RIM (the most famous company for prolonged battery life) would have included a gold battery with that capacity already with the phone? Those gold batteries are still cheaper than an OEM battery from RIM. So don't you think they'd include it or sell it claiming that much more capacity if they could? lol.
    02-19-12 02:42 AM
    I tried Blackberry sutomatically syncing my stuff, but I don't think it did a good enough job. Then I used the age old Google Sync with is exactly that: SO OLD! I have for 2500+ contacts, their pictures, their phone numbers with custom tags (which blackberry doesn't support through google sync). Then I tried an app that synced my outlook with my blackberry to google, and I got duplicates of my calendar, contacts were all fudged up... So I'd stay away from it. It was really important for me, I changed devices. I couldn't believe BB doesn't support it yet! I miss my BB so much though I want the 9810!
    All the Google syncing stuff, whether it's parameters or app, has to come from Google. They've always had Android support, followed by iPhone support as a priority. And, more recently, Google has publicly stated they no longer support Blackberry. Is it two OSes and a potential third in less than three years? Is it recognition in some competitive possibilities in QNX/BB10 vs. Android? Who knows. But your anger is misdirected. Google has always controlled anything Google related.

I'd stay away from 3rd party battery people like that who claim such a high MAH. As I posted in the other thread asking about it:

Code:
    I will ask you to use some logic, because don't you think that RIM (the most famous company for prolonged battery life) would have included a gold battery with that capacity already with the phone? Those gold batteries are still cheaper than an OEM battery from RIM. So don't you think they'd include it or sell it claiming that much more capacity if they could? lol.
    Interesting statement. But invalid. "Thin is in" seems to be the smartphone watchword. To the point where there are others following Apple in not letting users replace batteries in order to get the thin profile. Even Seidio doesn't cover all BB models -- no love for 9900 or 9800/9810. And their direct replacements are more expensive than the RIM batteries.
    02-19-12 12:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD