Hi guys and gals, been hanging around these forums since I got my 9700 18 months ago but only just signed up. In the past ive always found the answer to my questions in the forums. I will be contributing from now on.

Im out of contract next week and will be staying with BB. the 9700 was my first RIM device and I love it but I feel the need for an os7 phone. My wife cant wait to get the Bold hand me down. After playing with all the os7 stuff in a store this week, the one I REALLY want is the 9810.

My carrier (Orange UK) dont offer it at all (looked into switching networks but need to stay with orange for reasons I wont bore u with) but Phones 4 U can upgrade me to the 9810 unbranded, unlocked device for free and a really good plan for me still with Orange.

I almost took one there and then but they could not answer a few questions to my satisfaction. The big one being UMA. It was the ONLY reason I got my 9700 as coverage at home is poor at best and it works fantasticlly well. The sales guys tried to convince me I could set it up manually on os7 but had my doubts.

Is UMA a 7.1 only feature? does it work well on any 7.1 builds or is it a case of just trying them? Ive never played with os before as the 9700 was solid out the box

does having an unbranded, unsupported device matter? I wouldnt call my carrier for handset help but would they tell me to get lost if I had a network or BIS problem?

I really hope u can put my mind at rest on these small issues. sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any help.
    02-17-12 04:40 PM
    If you get one, make sure it has the same 4G bands as your carrier. T-Mobile and at&t have identical Torch 9810s, but their 4G frequencies are different, so if you were to get the wrong one, you'd be on EDGE the whole time. Every leaked OS I've run has had UMA calling. I am on T-Mobile in the U.S., UMA calling has always been something they have offered, until the most recent BlackBerrys. OS7.1 has brought it back....so in theory, if you loaded any version of OS 7.1 for the 9810, UMA calling would work.

In terms of support for an unbranded device, I think it depends on the carrier. I know when I bought an unlocked Bold 9000 from at&t and used it on T-Mobile, T-Mobile was very nice to me and helped me with a couple issues I had of getting the service books sent, so my @tmo.blackberry.net email would work. On my 9000, everything worked beautifully. BBM, BlackBerry Maps, GPS,email, the web... it just ran on EDGE.

If there was a BlackBerry I really wanted and it wasn't available to my carrier, I'd do all it again. Setting it up is fairly easy, just make sure you know your carrier's APN settings and all that, you can find them on your current BlackBerry. You're in luck because Orange has the 4G bands of either T-Mobile or at&t, I think (thought maybe it's called 3G or H+ over there, it seems to vary by country).
    02-18-12 01:57 AM
    Did Orange give you a reason why they don't offer the 9810? I was thinking of picking one up when my contract with them expires at the end of next month.

The lack of 9810 on Orange has me thinking of buying one SIM free and jumping over to giffgaff for �13 a month! (Provided giffgaff sort out the problems their recent launch of BIS is giving some users, of course)
    02-18-12 06:48 AM
    Yes, having an unsupported device may cause problems with access to 4g etc. I was on Orange and have switched over to Virginia Media, which had a fantastic deal for existing customers (I have their TV service). Unless there is a really good reason to stick with Orange, I'd switch to a carrier that officially supports them. Or better still, hold out for the new BB 10 handsets due to be released later this year.
    02-18-12 09:23 AM
    Yes, having an unsupported device may cause problems with access to 4g etc. I was on Orange and have switched over to Virginia Media, which had a fantastic deal for existing customers (I have their TV service). Unless there is a really good reason to stick with Orange, I'd switch to a carrier that officially supports them. Or better still, hold out for the new BB 10 handsets due to be released later this year.
    Lots of hype in OS10 but what was the advantage in terms of Mobile Networks?
    02-18-12 11:07 AM
    Thanks for the replys guys, really helpfull.

Im a broadband and home phone customer of Orange and get a cracking deal on it, line rental, 2nd line etc, we also make a lot of international calls and they are all included for a very, very low monthly fee. So I need to stay with them ideally.

I dont think we have 4G here, maybe its called H+?

They didnt give a reason for not offering the 9810, it just wasnt on their list or on the coming soon. He said they could still offer me a 9800 tho, Lol

So it sounds like I'll be loading 7.1 as soon as I get it home
    02-19-12 02:07 AM
    Getting back to your original question I think you will find that the 9810 does not have hardware UMA but 7.1 uses a software solution.
    The drawback is that the software solution cannot hand over a call from wifi to the network - the call is lost when you get out of range.
    02-19-12 02:22 AM
    that would be fine. that happens on my 9700 currently as when i go out of the house the network signal is still poor and i drop the call.

thanks for your reply
    02-19-12 05:01 AM
    I popped into my local Orange shop this morning and asked about the 9810, the wee girl behind the counter said it had been discontinued and mumbled something about not being able to get any stock.

Let us know how you get on with the Phones4u option.
    02-19-12 06:46 AM
    going down on thursday. will run through the details with them again and see how we do
    02-19-12 08:21 AM
    As long as you get the right bands, an unlocked 9810 will be fine. It may not be surprising that Orange is dropping the 9810 if they're like T-Mobile USA. T-Mo has it's main data freq different from other US & world freqs. AT&T got the 9810 first, sold it at $50 USD with a 2 year contract (more expensive monthly than T-Mo). That's gone up to $100 USD or a $.01 sale for refurb. They later got the 9900 and are selling it at $200 USD. T-Mo got both phones pretty much at the same time, are selling the 9900 at $200, but the 9810 was $250. Something tells me T-Mo didn't get the profit margins they wanted on the 9810 and couldn't sell enough of them at $250. Would I be wrong on thinking Orange had a similar situation?
    02-19-12 12:51 PM
    to my knowledge orange uk never offered the 9810
    02-20-12 02:06 AM
    Hi, as you will see from my info, I am using a 9810 on Orange UK. And I always use UMA, and my handset is an unlocked one, from P4U. As you are using a PlayBook also, do you need the screen size of the Torch, or would a Bold suit you? The reason I ask is because I (and many others) have had screen freeze, battery, and hourglassing issues with our Torch handsets.
    Last time I checked Orange were not offering the Torch on their website or in their shops, which seems strange to me.
    The problem with P4U v Orange is that Orange do replace handsets via courier, next day. P4U however, you have to post the handset back and they post a replacement to you, so at least a 2 day wait. Unless of course the handset needs to be repaired, in which case its a couple of weeks without a phone. No joke. I have done both as my original handset was replaced, and this one was repaired.
    Its a great handset, when it works. If I were you I would be tempted to wait for BB10...
    02-20-12 04:51 PM
    you sir are a legend. thats the kind of reply i was hoping for.

I have looked at the 9790 and didnt like it. the 9900's camera put me off so both of those are out. yes I have a playbook but I dont take it to work with me. I workout of a van so wouldnt get on with it. the bigger screen is why i was after torch.

I will look into the issues u discribe. thanks again
    02-20-12 05:34 PM
    you sir are a legend. thats the kind of reply i was hoping for.

I have looked at the 9790 and didnt like it. the 9900's camera put me off so both of those are out. yes I have a playbook but I dont take it to work with me. I workout of a van so wouldnt get on with it. the bigger screen is why i was after torch.

I will look into the issues u discribe. thanks again
    No problem, glad to be of assistance. I too wanted the Torch for the screen size and camera quality. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Torch is a bad phone, its not, its just got a few issues that let it down badly. There are people on here who have had no issues whatsoever with theirs. I know the waiting is a pain, that's why I went the P4U route to get mine. But I have to be honest and say that if I were doing it again, instead of getting a 2yr contract for this I'd be tempted to see more of BB10 before signing the contract. Ultimately its up to you, if you justify the cost of an off contract handset, that could be the way forward, that way you're not tied to a 2yr deal, and you can get a look at BB10 with the option to switch whenever you want to - plus the Torch handset would still be worth something realistic. Shops such as CEX usually have Torch handsets available (go for grade A), and you get a 12m warranty.
    02-21-12 04:02 AM
    And I've seen on here that Vodafone have dropped the 9810 - not sure why, or if its true...
    02-21-12 04:04 AM
    Ah, your in the UK. Didn't spot that. You won't have a problem then if you pick up a 2nd hand 9810 as long as it's unlocked to orange. CEX, cash converters or ebay are all good places to check out. We get HSPDA in the UK, and I had an unlocked iPhone 3GS(hangs head in shame) on Virgin back so there should be no problem. If you cna keep your current contract and swap to a sim free. Then when BB10 come out, you can upgrade at laugh at suckered like me who are locked down until 2014 because we are too impatient.

Another point, since owning my 9810, I haven't seen the hourglass, only the clock and that's only when installing apply. Has to do 2 battery pulls but I've upgraded to an unsupported os so completely my fault.
    02-21-12 02:54 PM
    all very helpfull chaps thanks a lot. I could go for 18mths contract so could upgrade 3 months early some time in 2013. by then BB10 should be well established and have a good selection id of thought.

Not really sure I want to wait for an unannounced device that I may not want. waited several months to see the 9790 and was dissapointed.

I did look at a 9810 in CEX but it was �390. No way I can justify paying that in one hit. For race car parts yes but phones, no. Lol

I did look at P&Go but that worked out quite expensive. im not a heavy user. 200 mins, 250mb and around 400sms is my usual usage
    02-21-12 03:35 PM
    all very helpfull chaps thanks a lot. I could go for 18mths contract so could upgrade 3 months early some time in 2013. by then BB10 should be well established and have a good selection id of thought.

Not really sure I want to wait for an unannounced device that I may not want. waited several months to see the 9790 and was dissapointed.

I did look at a 9810 in CEX but it was �390
    . No way I can justify paying that in one hit. For race car parts yes but phones, no. Lol

I did look at P&Go but that worked out quite expensive. im not a heavy user. 200 mins, 250mb and around 400sms is my usual usage
    Slightly cheaper on Amazon at �360.

BlackBerry Torch 9810 Sim Free Smartphone - Zinc Grey: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
    02-22-12 03:25 AM
    Going to pick one up today.

What 7.1 build is everyone using? Ive got .258 installed and waiting. Only ever done an OTA update before, reading as much as I can find about the process
    02-23-12 03:17 AM
    Going to pick one up today.

What 7.1 build is everyone using? Ive got .258 installed and waiting. Only ever done an OTA update before, reading as much as I can find about the process
    I recommend the apploader method for loading an OS update.

1. Plug in your phone.
    2. On computer click computer>C drive>program files>common files>research in motion>AppLoader.
    3. Once in apploader, delete the vendor.xml file (you don't have to do this with a leak, but it is a good habit to get into in case you load an official OS from another carrier.
    4. Click on the Loader icon in the apploader file (looks like an old cell phone).
    5. Follow the prompts. The Apploader will back-up, wipe, and reload your phone.
    6. Once the phone starts to reboot, be patient. It will seem to hang up about 2/3 of the way through. Give it time. Go make a spot of tea and relax. It will finish rebooting.
    Race Driver likes this.
    02-23-12 06:47 AM
    thats great info chap.

I had a look for the apploader icon but couldnt see it
    02-23-12 11:22 AM
    I picked it up today, not done much to it yet. Just restored my contacts from Pritect so i could use it this afternoon. Havent set up anything else as I intend to do an os upgrade now. Out of the box its on 7.0.0.1465. Its asking me to upgrade OTA to .2406

Doing a complete uninstall and start again on all the os and DM software. Was missing the App Loader Icon so hope this cures that
    02-23-12 12:35 PM
    Uninstalled everything from my laptop, reinstalled DM and the 7.1 build. Deleted Vendor file, Loader file was there.

Followed the prompts as newcollector described and left it. Came back to a bricked phone, started to feel sick. Tried again in a cold sweat and it worked. Now rocking 7.1

Tried to get Wifi calling working but no joy. Followed the instructions on a youtube video in this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...nge-uk-699868/ and after a battery pull its working like a charm!! Turned off the radio and made a call soley on Wifi. Not going to touch a thing now, leaving all the settings as they are as its working.

So pleased, thank you all so much for your help. Going to get on with setting it up to suit me now and installing some apps. The wife has my 9700 already. we unlocked it earlier so she could use her o2 sim in it. That was easy to. Shes using it as dumb phone, just for calls and texts but she loves the keyboard and camera. She already has eyes on the Torch, Lol.

Thanks again for everyones help and advice.
    02-23-12 03:00 PM
    Followed the prompts as newcollector described and left it. Came back to a bricked phone, started to feel sick. Tried again in a cold sweat and it worked. Now rocking 7.1
    Glad it's working for you. I do know the "cold sweat" feeling, especially when the phone just hangs up during the last reboot and doesn't seem to move. I usually stay and watch the AppLoader work so if anything goes wrong or a prompt comes up, I am there to respond.

Is it hard to set a phone to be used as a dumb one? My wife wants my old 9800.
    02-23-12 03:07 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD