My BB Style is starting to die and I still have 8 months left on my contract, so I'm thinking of picking up an unlocked OS7 Blackberry from an online store. The problem with that is I won't be able to replace a bricked/defective model with my carrier. Therefore I want to have a solid model that will last me at the very least until my upgrade time.

Currently I'm really want the Torch 9860, but I've heard there are issues with the buttons not working over time. My second choice would be the Bold 9900 but as you're all aware by now there's issues with them bricking. Has that been fixed yet? The Torch 9810 would be my last choice because of how bulky it is. If the other two phone's problems are common I think I'll end up with this phone. Oh, and I hate the Curve keyboard so that's not really an option.

To all people who might suggest Android/iOS in this thread: I use my current phone to bridge with my Playbook for my 2 1/2 hours of busing everyday, so I really want a Blackberry. I'd be bored out of my mind without bridging.

Thanks for the help!
    02-16-12 04:55 PM
    I'd go Torch 9810. You get over the size pretty quickly. I actually like the weight now - could use a bit of a slimming though.

The only thing you give up is NFC, which isn't in wide use yet. Other than that it checks all the boxes and is solid and stable. Almost the best of all worlds.

If you do get it though, I recommend getting the white one. The keyboard is much, much better than the black one (much closer to the feel of the 99x0 keyboard). No idea why they're so different, but they are; the white one is much better.

(I'm on my 2nd black one after having two black 9800s; my wife has had two white 9810s).
    02-16-12 05:15 PM
    Welcome to the forums.

There are many threads of opinions on which phone is most popular.
    A quick search and some homework will bring you loads of info.

Basically it comes down to your needs and wants. Period.

good luck
    02-16-12 05:17 PM
    I haven't seen a brick since the newer os's have been dropping.

I myself have a 9900 and my wife has a 9810. I'm used to the candy bar style so I love my bold. My wife has a 9810 and loves it but the keyboard is a bit cramped and top heavy so if you use it open a lot it may give you some weird wrist pains like what my wife has going on now.

I feel the 9900 will be around longer because it is their flagship devices.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-16-12 05:34 PM
    Welcome to the forums.

There are many threads of opinions on which phone is most popular.
    A quick search and some homework will bring you loads of info.

Basically it comes down to your needs and wants. Period.

good luck
    I think you might have misinterpreted the question. I wasn't really wondering which phone was popular or right for me, I was curious about the reliability of the devices. While there are a bunch of threads with people stating problems, no one has outright said which is the most reliable device.

Sorry if I worded my post weird.
    02-16-12 05:48 PM
    That's because there isn't one best device, or OS.
    It's all a matter of interpretation based on needs/wants/tech savvy.

There is no "right" answer.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    02-16-12 05:52 PM
    i think bricked devices counts as dead on arrivals, u could send those back to the seller
    02-16-12 05:55 PM
    I would do my best to make sure it's a reliable seller, so you can send it back if it's somehow defective when it arrives.
    02-16-12 05:57 PM
    9900 or 9810 both are very good devices but IMO 9900 has a class. All OS7 devices are atleast 100 times better than older berries, in-terms of performance and browsing experience there is no comparison.
    02-16-12 06:13 PM
    That's because there isn't one best device, or OS.
    It's all a matter of interpretation based on needs/wants/tech savvy.

There is no "right" answer.
    I agree 100% with cntrydncr. To the OP, nobody can really say which phone is most likely not to have problems. A person can buy new..."anything", that doesn't mean its not going to be a LEMON. Your best bet is to buy from a reputable seller.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    02-16-12 06:27 PM
    I bought the 9860 off craigslist. Tested it out when I bought it, was from the same carrier so didn't need to be unlocked or anything and to be honest, its been fantastic since I got it. I think as long as you check out the actual phone itself, you should be fine.

Oh and not having any problems with the back button.
    02-16-12 06:46 PM
    The 9810 is probably the most reliable BB in the group

This forum has sections for each phone...which phone doesn't have a lot of bricking threads
    02-16-12 06:55 PM
    I think you might have misinterpreted the question. I wasn't really wondering which phone was popular or right for me, I was curious about the reliability of the devices. While there are a bunch of threads with people stating problems, no one has outright said which is the most reliable device.

Sorry if I worded my post weird.
    "Theoretically", the 9860/50 should be the most "reliable" phone considering it is the one with the less number of moving and mechanical parts.

"Theoretically", the 9900 should be the second best and the 9810 should be the worst, because it has a slider and a keyboard, "theoretically" just calling for a failure.

But as it turns out, there were more buggy 9900s than there were 9810s or 9860s =D

Completely random... it just falls down to what you want, as the three of them are nearly identical inside and in software, except for the form factor.
    Last edited by gbsn; 02-16-12 at 10:01 PM.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    02-16-12 09:59 PM
    You can try out the Bold 9790 I suppose. It's a bold and has features, a good keypad and no bricking and button problems. Has NFC too.
    And give a feedback if you try it out.
    02-16-12 11:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD