this is my first post on carkberry hope you guys help me with this.
    I dont know if its a problem or i dont know about. i just got blackberry bold 9900. this is my first phone and first blackberry to use. so my bb is from roger and i got it unlocked and using it for fido. becuase i really like this phone and fido doesn't provide it. so im first problems is that
    1. my phone is connected wifi and when i go to facebook app it says " you are currently on a service plan that doesn't support this application, please connect to a wifi network or contract your service provider to upgrade your dat plan" and for browser it says " unable to connect to the internet, please try again later. if the problem persists please contact your service provider." i dont have data but i can use my wifi for it right?. i asked my frined who has torch and he said you can use wifi. i can't it just doesn't work any advice??
    2. some song that i synced are red in my phone i can't play them. when i need them whey are unavaiable i need healp
    i really disappont me i need help but i like phone overall but i need solution for these two becasue it can give me better first phone experice with blackberry
    02-15-12 10:16 PM
    try options - network and connections - mobile network - data services - on.
    i assume you can't play the songs or can't find them on your mobile?
    or something else?
    02-15-12 10:29 PM
    i dont want to get data charges becuse this is the maximum my parent can afford and i can
    02-15-12 10:31 PM
    try it and you might see it works out. if you are on wifi you won't get charged by it.
    if you don't have wifi then it will go through bis.
    02-15-12 10:37 PM
    You can't use the Facebook App without a data plan. Use your browser and try the Facebook mobile site instead. That should work ok over wifi.
    02-15-12 10:46 PM
    OP, certain applications such as Facebook cannot be used over wifi because the app code is written to prevent that. (I have no idea why they do this; may another user can explain what reasons behind the data usage limit to BIS)
    02-15-12 10:52 PM
    ohh yeah, i missed the point of the facebook app of those above posters though.^
    02-15-12 11:04 PM
    If you live in toronto canada (or in an area where Mobilicity and/or windmobile are available), your parents would have saved a bundle and then you'd be able to have data. Smart plan + voicemail + Data is $52/month after taxes.

Sadly, they chose fido and it won't work on wind or mobilicity's networks due to it not matching the 1, 4, 8 frequenties.

Enjoy what you have OP. I'll even link you to some wifi only apps: http://forums.crackberry.com/wifi-di...s-list-462539/
    02-16-12 05:15 AM
    You can't use the Facebook App without a data plan. Use your browser and try the Facebook mobile site instead. That should work ok over wifi.
    i think it has been a while since this changed. Facebook was changed up...maybe with 2.0 to work without a BIS plan. i know this because there have been times i turn on my spare phone without a sim and updates get pushed to it when i have wifi turned on. so that shouldnt be the issue as to why it isnt working for him/her
    02-16-12 08:12 AM
    yes, facebook app works without data plan, over wifi, my wife has no data plan (she has my old 8520), and use facebook app over wifi everyday.....
    roughout123 likes this.
    02-16-12 08:15 AM
    i can't access anything even browser or app store. i dont need to find if it work . i need to know how can i make it work for myself
    02-16-12 09:50 AM
    WHAT YOU'RE ASKING CAN BE DONE...READ BELOW!

You'll need to log onto wifi through your phone, upgrade app world from the mobile site, and download the latest Facebook from App World. My friend was having the same problem with a 9810 without data, and it turned out to be an old version of Facebook. The new one (starting with 2.0, I believe) allows you to use it over wifi, evens without data plan. The same goes for twitter, but you need the latest version.

The site to download latest app world from your blackberry is the first result when you google "download bb app world" from your phone.

Good luck, and don't listen to the posters above that said Facebook won't work without data plan. They have a ton of posts and have become completely ignorant, because they think they know everything already.
    02-16-12 12:07 PM
    Trying to get or encourage somebody to STEAL DATA by circumventing BIS cannot be discussed here. I'll link the OP to appworld, twitter and facebook: Facebook for BlackBerry smartphones
    Twitter for BlackBerry Smartphones (or you can use)
    UberSocial Download
    BlackBerry App World

Latest appworld works over wifi, but you'll require BlackBerry I'd, which likely only works over a BIS connection requiring a data plan.
    02-16-12 04:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD