Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I love it!

43 66.15%
  • I installed it, nothing special about it

17 26.15%
  • I'm staying on OS 7.0

5 7.69%
    Firstly, let me say i'm running an unlocked T-Mobile 9900 on a carrier outside the US. I think that for me, OS 7.1 doesn't bring anything to the table that I can honestly say I love or would want to use.

1. Mobile Hotspot - Haven't gotten it to work anyway, probably because of incorrect APN settings or blocked by my carrier. I've lived without it on past BB's and probably won't use it anyway.

2. Wifi Calling - Don't really see how this could be useful to me. Perhaps maybe when roaming, but once again, I've managed without it.

3. NFC - This is deactivated on my phone (perhaps because its a T-Mobile phone?). Maybe in the future I can see this being useful, but not now.

4. FM Radio - Although this is only on the new Curves, perhaps this is the only feature I might probably use if it was on the 9900.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 9900 and OS 7.0, but I just don't see the advantages of OS 7.1. I'm actually considering downgrading back to OS 7.0. This is not a rant, but just an observation.
    Last edited by gjoseph14; 02-15-12 at 09:55 PM.
    02-15-12 05:21 PM
    For me the 7.1 update made my 3g+ web browser a lot quicker. I have totally stopped
    using wifi at work and at home cause of this.
    other than that the Hotspot was a huge missing feature for a lot of people.
    Personally I don't think I will ever use that feature.
    02-15-12 07:56 PM
    I haven't notice a huge difference either since my upgrade to 7.1. I did try the hotspot once for about an hour when my home internet went down and it near ate away my monthly allowance. Won't be doing that again.
    02-15-12 08:03 PM
    Firstly, let me say i'm running an unlocked T-Mobile 9900 on a carrier outside the US. I think that for me, OS 7.1 doesn't bring anything to the table that I can honestly say I love or would want to use.

1. Mobile Hotspot - Haven't gotten it to work anyway, probably because of incorrect APN settings or blocked by my carrier. I've lived without it on past BB's and probably won't use it anyway.

2. Wifi Calling - Don't really see how this could be useful to me. Perhaps maybe when roaming, but once again, I've managed without it.

3. NFC - This is deactivated on my phone (perhaps because its a T-Mobile phone?). Maybe in the future I can see this being useful, but now.

4. FM Radio - Although this only on the new Curves, perhaps this is the only feature I might probably use if it was on the 9900.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 9900 and OS 7.0, but I just don't see the advantages of OS 7.1. I'm actually considering downgrading back to OS 7.0. This is not a rant, but just an observation.
    Your 4 examples are completely misleading, and have nothing to do with OS7.1...

1) Your carrier is blocking this feature
    2) Your carrier doesn't support this feature
    3) Your device ID is blocking this, and it's available on OS7 for everyone else
    4) Your device doesn't have the hardware to support this

How about Device Analyser and Battery Saving Mode? Two very handy OS7.1 features you neglected to mention.
    02-15-12 08:17 PM
    how much bandwidth does the hotspot use?
    02-15-12 08:20 PM
    Does it have a native world clock yet?
    02-15-12 08:22 PM
    I've been batting this upgrade to 7.1 around for awhile now. Still on 7.0 and running darn near flawless. I would like to hear more feedback from those who were having no issues with 7.0 and switched to 7.1 anyway. Are you glad you did it?
    02-15-12 08:39 PM
    I upgraded to 7.1 & am glad I did becuase it fixed a really annoying proximity sensor bug. (this was supposed to have been fixed with a previous 7.0.x update, but it hadn't.

On the down side It seems to have introduced a bug where sometimes I can't select the number of the person I want to call if they have multiple numbers....for example I want to call their mobile & the phone insistes on calling their home. I have to go into the contacts, highlight the number & call it that way.....very annoying, but atleast my face isn't starting apps & changing settings while I'm on the phone.

As far as the advertised improvements.

1. Mobile Hotspot - don't need it becuase I use bridge

2. Wifi Calling - not allowed by my carrier.....those crooks

3. NFC - looking forward to using this one day, but so far it has no practicle purpose for me.

4. FM Radio - Although this is only on the new Curves, I wish this was on my 9900. I this I would have used this quite a bit....
    02-16-12 01:08 AM
    i'm staying on the OS 7.0 as it works pretty well for and i don't want to pay extra time to get knowledge of the new one which may cause some trouble and bugs for me.anyway i don't think there is any boot revolutions 7.1 have.hope i have not miss anything.
    02-16-12 02:03 AM
    is it true that the 7.1 update increases the battery life substantially?

I haven't tried it yet
    02-16-12 02:43 AM
    7.1 gives you mobile hotspot and nfc.but for at&t you have to pay a hefty price to fully utilize it.nfc has yet to prove useful by any means.so in summary,7.1 isn't anything special yet.but the new bb10 is eye catching and it is special.
    02-16-12 02:49 AM
    I love 7.1, there's a couple of things missing tho, one is podcasts app and the other lack of autovolume.

I was a sceptic but I found myself using the hotspot a lot, this feature alone makes it worth it.
    02-16-12 03:52 AM
    Your 4 examples are completely misleading, and have nothing to do with OS7.1...

1) Your carrier is blocking this feature
    2) Your carrier doesn't support this feature
    3) Your device ID is blocking this, and it's available on OS7 for everyone else
    4) Your device doesn't have the hardware to support this

How about Device Analyser and Battery Saving Mode? Two very handy OS7.1 features you neglected to mention.
    Well this is exactly my point. Here you have RIM sending out a fairly major OS update and yet most carriers are blocking key features of it. So what's the great push to install it? I haven't gotten around to using the Device Analyser yet and I haven't seen any Battery Saving Mode option on my device.
    02-16-12 01:16 PM
    So what's the great push to install it?

I haven't seen any Battery Saving Mode option on my device.
    If you haven't installed it (7.1), you won't see it (battery saving mode).
    02-16-12 01:20 PM
    Don't forget the Media Server to stream to other devices added in 7.1.0.258
    02-16-12 01:21 PM
    yo guys, just bought one off ebay, is this thing still bricking?
    02-16-12 01:21 PM
    If you haven't installed it (7.1), you won't see it (battery saving mode).
    I'm running 7.1.0.205 and I don't see that option. Feel free to point me in the direction to find it.
    02-16-12 03:08 PM
    can somebody tell me what the battery saving mode exactly does?
    02-16-12 04:52 PM
    I'm running 7.1.0.205 and I don't see that option. Feel free to point me in the direction to find it.
    Options
    device
    battery saving mode
    02-16-12 11:52 PM
    can somebody tell me what the battery saving mode exactly does?
    "Battery saving mode automatically adjusts your smartphone settings to maximize remaining battery power."

The option is "start when batter power is at or drops below" and there's a box you can choose which percentage for it to start.

Beyond that, I can't tell you what it automatically adjusts, sorry.
    02-16-12 11:54 PM
    Never hurts to leave it on no?
    02-17-12 02:54 AM
    Battery saving mode is not in .205. It's in .267 leak though!
    02-17-12 04:00 PM
    Nfc tags are the most useful feature for me. For sharing photos and files...
    02-18-12 08:28 AM
    All of my bugs have been solved and I'm really happy with it. I can't wait to be back home on my stable web connection soon so I can download .267. Although might just go ahead and download it on my data card with my notebook. I have 5GB's of data a month!
    Last edited by Jake90087; 02-18-12 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Typo's...
    02-18-12 11:04 AM
    Just downloaded .258 and will see how it runs, especially the battery.
    02-18-12 12:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD