My playbook is in the mail. Anyone has a good recommendation of what I can let my 4yr kid use? Whether learning or entertainment?
    02-15-12 03:54 PM
    There are several apps for kids, but I cannot recall their names... However, I do remember one that is called "Mes Premiers Mots" (My first words) in French. It is an app to help your kid learn some of the basics names of several animals, food, etc. in French.

You should give it a look.
    pkcable likes this.
    02-15-12 04:09 PM
    PBS KIDS: Educational Games, Videos and Activities For Kids! has some cool stuff. If u have wi-fi you can do it that way or you can bridge your playbook to your Blackberry.
    pkcable likes this.
    02-15-12 04:25 PM
    Angry Bird! my 5 year loves it

Definitely TVO Kids TVO - BlackBerry App World
    peter9477 and pkcable like this.
    02-15-12 05:29 PM
    Free
    Learn To Write is a good one for learning the alphabet, its similar to the one they used to use on iPad Commercials.
    Also Tibro
    Simple Paint
    Wet Paint
    Light Keeper (should be very good for a 4 year old)
    BallonsBlast
    Air Hockey
    Fruits and Ninja (free version) (my 4 year old niece plays this all the time)
    ScratchPad
    Unblock Lite (Free Version)
    Galaxy Painting
    Assembler Mobile 2 HD (might be too hard, who knows, could probably figure it out eventually/have fun with it anyway)

Paid
    Fruits and Ninja (free version available and listed above) (again, 4 year old niece loves the free version and hasn't tried the full version) - $1.99
    Bejeweled 2 - $2.99
    Pinball Deluxe -$4.99
    Cut the Rope (maybe, might be slightly too hard but who knows) - $2.99
    Angry Birds (any of them) - $4.99 each
    AdventureBall - $0.99 (There is also a "Lite" free version available
    Unblock (Free version available and listed above) - $0.99
    Monopoly (pass playbook around for each person's turn) - $4.99
    The Game of Life (pass PlayBook around for each person's turn) - $3.99
    Snuggle Truck (maybe slightly hard, might not be though, who knows) - $1.99

Android apps I know are available on app world (for OS 2.0 only) - Free
    Pool Break Lite (Free Version, really good, maybe 4 year old wouldn't like it though)

Android apps I know are available on app world (for OS 2.0 only) - Paid
    Pool Break Pro (Paid version, free version is listed above) - $2.99

Also there are a lot of Android apps that are convertible that aren't on app world, which you can install through USB. You'll see posts on here about it sometimes, also, you can find a lot of paid apps online, probably all the ones I listed even. Here are instructions on how to install a downloaded .bar file (BlackBerry PlayBook App), obviously if that's an ethical hang up for you then you can always just not do it. :P

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...indows-619796/
    (Windows)

http://forums.crackberry.com/app-dev...oodies-667600/
    (Mac)
    pkcable and sagec like this.
    02-15-12 06:18 PM
    One area where Apple shines is educational apps. My 4 year olds have itouch's with lots of free and paid educational apps. I would gladly paid for decent educational apps for the playbook. As the kids seem to like the size of the playbook.
    02-15-12 07:21 PM
    One area where Apple shines is educational apps. My 4 year olds have itouch's with lots of free and paid educational apps. I would gladly paid for decent educational apps for the playbook. As the kids seem to like the size of the playbook.
    If you want more apps just fire up the Browser and on to Internet. There are Billions of free Flash apps especially kids games.
    pkcable likes this.
    02-15-12 07:40 PM
    Harold and the Purple Crayon
    Sylvester's Band

We like both of these :-)
    pkcable likes this.
    02-15-12 07:54 PM
    I second the vote for the TVO (TV Ontario) apps for the youngest age range. There are 2-3 that should be good for a 4 year old, and a few more to grow into (my daughter's six and has spent some hours with some of these games now).
    pkcable likes this.
    02-15-12 08:33 PM
    Third on TVOKids apps. Sign Matching and the planting one are hits with my kids. Hungry Kitty is very fun as well.
    pkcable likes this.
    02-15-12 08:36 PM
    A book... starting them techology-dependent early, huh?
    02-15-12 10:42 PM
    My 4 year old LOVES Freight train and ABC song. Both by the same company and both are VERY well done, good music and educational. I believe they have won some awards. Freight train is also a book.

He also loves some of the drawing/coloring apps such as coloring and color me.

Some non-educational apps he likes are seasons, wezap, get growing and ninja fruit.
    pkcable likes this.
    02-16-12 10:28 AM
    I fouth the TVO games. My 4yo and 6yo love the ones for their age group. Here is what they play:

Harold and the purple crayon - (age 3+ ) paid but worth it
    Big Escape 1 - 4 (age 6+) - paid but worth it as well
    Sign Match - free - (age 2 - 4)
    Get Growing - free - (age 2 - 4)
    Alphabet Goop - free - (age 2 - 4)
    Into the Snow - Stella and Sam - (Age 3+)
    ABC Memory - (Age 2+)
    peter9477 and pkcable like this.
    02-16-12 10:40 AM
    One that both my 3 1/2 and 5 yr old grandkids love to play and have picked up the strategy very quickly is bubble birds. Very simple but they like playing it.
    02-16-12 10:57 AM
    If you want more apps just fire up the Browser and on to Internet. There are Billions of free Flash apps especially kids games.
    You know what?? I was so used to the kids itouch's not being able to play flash that I completely overlooked that the PB plays flash.. The kids usually use the computer for flash sites, but there is no reason why they couldn't use the PB to see some of those...
    pkcable likes this.
    02-16-12 02:28 PM
    Great work guys!
    02-16-12 02:38 PM
    Just downloaded Abcday last night for my 4 yr old girl. Had to pry the tablet out of her hands to get her in bed.

Her exact words were:

"best game ever!"
    Last edited by sagec; 02-16-12 at 03:27 PM.
    02-16-12 02:48 PM
    Wow, this thread is awesome!
    Don't have any children, but can't hurt to load a few in the even of "babysitting" someday!

Thanks so much!
    02-16-12 03:19 PM
    If you leave your kid alone with the PB eventually they will find YouTube.
    02-16-12 03:33 PM
    1 game my kids really love is this new game Animal Rescue... my 4 year old just loves it and it is a memore / matching type game that you can feel a lil good about because it teaches them the animals and develops their lil brains. You can grab it from app world or the link from Capital Gamez | Animal Rescue | Mobile Kids Games I think it is.
    06-02-12 03:53 PM
    My daughter (3 1/2) likes WeZap and "My First Puzzles" (Paid and Free).

Cheers
    06-03-12 06:20 PM
    Christmas is just around the corner. When asked if my 4.5 y/o boy wanted an iPad like mommy, he said, "NO! I want a Playbook like Daddy's!" Done. Ordered one on Black Friday for a ridiculously good price (32gb for $159 (US) from Groupon).

The problem, however, is that he's already discovered Modern Combat 4 and he's snuck in a couple sessions of Shadowgun. They won't be loaded onto his PlayBook though. Got to get him back to the basics.
    11-25-12 01:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD