I was one of the fortunate few who happened to get a Bold the day it was released in Canada. I swapped it for an aging 7290.

I use it all of the time for everything. I was intrigued on using the GPS and mapping feature so I tested a few programs.

My first test was the Blackberry Maps software. When I first tried, it did not work. I checked this forum and discovered that someone else had the same problem. Turns out that going outdoors cured the problem. It worked reasonably well although it is very slow at connecting the GPS and loading the maps, even with wifi and 3G connected. It let me down when I moved out of the Toronto area into a rural area. (Read about my experience on Bold is Hardy forum) The maps had insufficient detail to be useful. It's major benefit is that I can use my address book for start and destination points. It is - as expected - well integrated with the Blackberry. Then last week it stopped working. It cannot find satellites anymore - although other mapping programs can. I do not why, nor have I explored the reasons yet.

My second test was with Google Maps. It is a solid application. It works everytime. While the GPS is searching for satellites, it uses the cellular towers to pinpoint your location. It integrates perfectly with the address book, allowing instant access to map any location my contacts may have. Once the GPS is running it tracks my position with precision. The maps are ultra detailed and I can search within Google Maps like I do with Google for restaurants, businesses, etc.

My third test was with Amaze from amazegps.com. I discovered this one on Crackberry.com. It works well once the GPS is started. For some reason it does not seem able to start the GPS itself, but rather relies on other programs, such as Blackberry Maps to do that. It provides audible turn by turn directions and once functioning works flawlessly. It was easy to install and use, despite its rather clumsy interface. My complaint is that it does not allow use of my address book for locations. It's address entry is a painful process that does not allow for mistakes. You cannot edit an address once entered, it must be deleted and re-entered. In addition, it seems to suffer from the same lack of detail as Blackberry Maps. Still for most situations is works very well.

My fourth test was with Garmin TomTom. It was advertized as being available for the Bold in Canada. It comes with an external bluetooth GPS. The external GPS was easy to setup and launch. The software was another matter. My only choices for my phone number was US carriers!?! I opted for AT&T. After registering and confirming and downloading. I was only able to get the Pearl version of the software. I started the software. For some inexplicable reason it apparently needs to re-register over the air. Unfortunately, I kept receiving a 403 error. Eventually I gave up and gave the external GPS to my wife to use with her Pearl and Google Maps. That worked perfectly first time she tried it.

My last test was with trekbuddy. Advertised as an offline maps application. I loaded the software as instructed. I loaded a few maps. I was unable to get the sdcard map location to work, despite many efforts do so. After trying it, without maps, I decided that it is not that useful, in that I have to save and preload a lot of map images to make it useful. I personally find that too onerous a task.

My recommendation is to go with Google Maps and AmAze. They work well and accomplish what they are designed to do. Once Google Maps comes out with an audible turn by turn feature, we can delete all the other software from our Blackberries. In the meantime, this duo will do the job.
    09-07-08 10:57 PM
    thanks for the very useful post
    I quite agree with everything you have said here about bbmaps and ggmaps
    I myself have chosen to go with google maps

just be careful though
    not sure what plan you are on and Google maps is heavy on the usage
    09-07-08 11:20 PM
    Hi hjk, and welcome to CB!

Thank you for a very interesting and informative post... I did have high hopes for BlackBerry maps, but after your experiences, I will definitely be trying Google Maps.

I have read quite a few reports from folks say that they had problems downloading it, but am not sure if that was caused by an early OS on their Bolds, or a problem with Google Maps itself... or it could just have been a temporary overload on the download server I suppose.

I have just read your first post also... you were certainly lucky there!
    09-08-08 03:18 AM
    The best garmin in the market rite now is the Nuvi780. It has text to Speech as well as turn by turn. Bluetooth MP3 player 6 hour lithon Ion Battery. Intergrated traffic receiver; integrated FM modulator;Where Am I; and tons of other features.

The difference between the Nuvi series and the C series is that C series is older and out of date.

The C550 is a pretty decscent unit though. It has the txt to speech, bluetooth and mp3 player (I think it has an MP3 on it). It is not a bad unit at all but like I said it is kinda old. Will it still get the job done yes. I donesn't have the built-in traffice receiver though neither does it have the simulator mode that lets the unit play your route for you before youstart driving it.Tomtom.com
    09-08-08 05:34 AM
    i use AmazeGPS in South Africa.

The turn-by-turn directions are fantastic, just as good as any standalone GPS.

The entering of addresses is a little tedious but i dont use it that awesome. for times when i need GPS, its perfect!
    09-08-08 05:42 AM
    Has anyone tried Garmin Mobile in Canada? This looks like a great product, but Garmin told me they hadn't tested it on any Canadian carriers (what they need the carriers for I don't know??) Right now I use the TomTom Navigator on my HP Ipaq 6955 and love it, works great and does not use any data.
    09-08-08 01:33 PM
    I apologize if this has been answered...

I managed to install google maps 2.2.3 on my bold but how do I get it to work with the GPS? I don't see option in menu within GM.

Thx
    09-08-08 02:04 PM
    You guys have skipped over probably the best free GPS app out at the moment and thats NAV4ALL. Not as good or polished as garmin, but years beyond amaze.

Give it a try. The only downside is roaming charges when you travel abroad
    09-08-08 02:19 PM
    You guys have skipped over probably the best free GPS app out at the moment and thats NAV4ALL. Not as good or polished as garmin, but years beyond amaze.(
    They don't appear to list the Bold in their 'compatible phone' list.

Have you actually tried it on a Bold?
    09-08-08 02:27 PM
    They don't appear to list the Bold in their 'compatible phone' list.

Have you actually tried it on a Bold?
    just went to Nav4all.com and downloaded it, works fine
    09-08-08 03:55 PM
    just went to Nav4all.com and downloaded it, works fine
    Yup, me too. I'm going to give it a try this weekend when I'm doing some driving.
    09-08-08 04:48 PM
    I'm using google maps 2.2.3 and have no problem with the GPS - it starts automatically with it. starts off with the cell towers and when it can get GPS it focusses closer into where I am.

What I don't understand is how to call up my contacts in my address book for locations/directions - I don't see this as an option - under "start location" I get 1.use my location 2.enter address 3.select point on map 4.select a favorite - but nothing about an address book. Same thing for "end point" but without option 1.

Any ideas?
    09-08-08 06:13 PM
    Thank you for the tip on Nav4all. I will try give it a try.
    09-08-08 09:18 PM
    Used BlackBerry Maps on my Bold on a couple of trips, GPS works great, it did the job; however, Garmin has a better looking map and text to speech. I bought Garmin Mobile from Handmark | Software for your Palm, Blackberry, Pocket PC, Treo, PDA and Windows Mobile Smartphone Devices for $9.99 for one month. Used it on the long weekend to drive up North, great great functionality. There is one thing, none of the maps of these programs compare to Google Maps. The Google Maps map is one of a kind, easy to use, looks great, etc. I tried using Google Maps on my Bold with the GPS but it would never work, I have version 2.1.0. I JUST installed 2.2.3, I am going to try again. I am also going to try Nav4All.
    09-08-08 10:48 PM
    Thanks for the info. Very useful, learn a lot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-08 11:29 PM
    first of all: thanks for the review of many gps apps...

I'm from Italy and I've got a German T-Mobile bold few days ago. I set up it for my carrier (tim) and I've done the OS update to the 4.6.0.126 version. The only problem that I have is that I'm unable to install wlm, but it's not the right place to talk now.

So, I'm using blackberry maps that it's not bad, and google maps that is better looking...

That last, have more detailed maps and it is very good but I can't understand how to make the software follow my position while moving/navigating. If I use it as navigator, my position (blue dot) is moving around and out of the screen and if I not follow it manually it will be lost.

What about that problem? anyone knows if it can be fixed or if there's a configuration that allows the real time following of my position?

Thanks if anyone can helps.

sorry for my bad english
    09-09-08 01:17 AM
    Nav4all and vodafone satnav work perfectly
    09-09-08 06:36 AM
    I also use Google Maps, but in a slightly different way:

I'm usually on a satellite view, rather than map view. I like the fact that I can really zoom and and see an overhead view of my surroundings...and it overlays your position with a blue dot. I am not sure if I can do routing while in that mode.

I have a stand-alone Garmin Nuvi. I love it. I wish Garmin made it available to Canadians for the Bold. I tried several times with out luck to get it to load.
    09-09-08 09:08 AM
    Quick question...since the Bold can do voice and data simultaneously, can you talk on the phone and use the gps at the same time?
    10-21-08 02:07 PM
    I use amaze gps in Turkey. Its fine but garmin is far beyond....
    I prefer TomTom for gps navigation.... TomTom is the best but they dont have a solution for BB yet... Also Garmin provides online maps for BB which has cons and pros.... I am going to wait for Garmin to showup in Turkey and Europe. Nav4all looks fine but too complicated for a GPS navigation device.... You have to stop somewhere to set it up.
    10-22-08 03:52 AM
    Quick question...since the Bold can do voice and data simultaneously, can you talk on the phone and use the gps at the same time?
    not sure about the apps mentioned thus far on the thread. have been suprised at no mention of telenav on this thread. i have carried over my subsription from my 8800 to my bold. however when my subscription runs out next year i will try an alternative.

to answer your question though at least with telenav you can take incoming calls, and as soon as you release the call it will take you back to telenav. i have also tried the vodaphone navigator but i found it locked up after taking a call, but maybe that was a one off.

in relation to the first post trekbuddy is a great tool for off road walkers/hikers/moutain bikers. when we visit the Lake District here in the UK i use it all the time. in conjunction with a great piece of software called Memory Map it works great for keeping you on the beaten track.
    10-22-08 04:06 AM
    i was very very happy with the Nokia Maps 2.0 on the E71 and the E90 but now that im on the bold, im left wondering what is there to use as well.

ive given the Garmin a try on the free trial period but im still looking for a map for malaysia.
    10-22-08 04:19 AM
    I've never actually tried that (but will definitely give it a try on my way home tonight) ...

If it does work, it probably doesnt have voice guidance rather just the guidance on screen ...
    10-22-08 04:51 AM
    forgot to mention earlier.... this is for any telenav users that might be reading. i have on the bold it does not render correctly when entering information. in the the ui will only take up about 2/3 of the screen. also when in map view the bottom corner is missing and you can not see eta. i have to swtich to turn only which again then only uses 2/3 of the screen. anyone else experience this on their bold?
    10-22-08 08:44 AM
    Yeah i have telenav it keeps on working however you dont get turn by turn voice commands
    10-22-08 08:50 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD