just like the title says, ive gone on a rant about this previously, it doesnt help anyone speculating dates that inturn will not come true. All it does is put more ammunition into the media's hands to use against playbook. They said feb, nothing else, leave it at that until you see an update available. can you imagine the field day bgr is going to have when the supposed release doesnt pan out for the 17th, and this is fault of who?...unfortunately our overwhelming excitement is going to ruin any chance we have of having a non biased story coming out in the news about the pb. Now keep in mind, im not trying to ruin the fun, im excited on this release too as most of us are, but lets let it be all it can be without being shot down by negative press.
    Thanks
    VanCity778, 9of13, boldbob and 7 others like this.
    02-14-12 09:55 AM
    this is the only thread about speculation that makes sense.
    zethaaron and erodenero like this.
    02-14-12 10:30 AM
    Yup, I agree. No need to panic yet. If March 1st hits and we don't have PlayBook OS 2.0, then I'll hit publish on my tactfully-written rant
    02-14-12 10:30 AM
    Stopping speculative threads is not going to stop bad Press. Even if OS2 is phenomenal people and press will still find things to point out. Ie. But were is the BBM? Still no skype! Etc. Rim is in a dogfight and they do need to prove themselves. That's the position they put themselves in. I want rim to succeed but until they show and prove (BB10) there is gonna be negative press with or without a speculative OS2 release thread.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk
    ericlc2 likes this.
    02-14-12 10:32 AM
    Stopping speculative threads is not going to stop bad Press. Even if OS2 is phenomenal people and press will still find things to point out. Ie. But were is the BBM? Still no skype! Etc. Rim is in a dogfight and they do need to prove themselves. That's the position they put themselves in. I want rim to succeed but until they show and prove (BB10) there is gonna be negative press with or without a speculative OS2 release thread.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk
    all im saying is the more these rumored dates start to become "factual statements", the worse it looks when they dont hit the date.
    02-14-12 10:35 AM
    Yup, I agree. No need to panic yet. If March 1st hits and we don't have PlayBook OS 2.0, then I'll hit publish on my tactfully-written rant
    RIM has had plenty of opportunity to back off, so I trust they'll make the deadline. My theory was that they bought a lot of goodwill back at CES, and if they needed more time they could have hinted at it then. They didn't.

asaunder's tweet yesterday was good enough for me.

Otherwise... c'mon, it's fun to speculate. Personally, as long as they meet their self-imposed window of "February", I'm happy (but I'm still pretty sure it's going to be next Tuesday... lol)
    Rlmcs337 likes this.
    02-14-12 10:41 AM
    all im saying is the more these rumored dates start to become "factual statements", the worse it looks when they dont hit the date.
    It's a question of sources, really. We had that Berryriffic rumor of 2/7 last week, for instance. Looking at their site, they do seem to be reasonably well-connected, so when they claimed an "excellent" source within RIM, it seemed reasonable to lend them some credence. They blew it, obviously, so now "they're dead to me" (and likely many others in this community).

No, I haven't been buying every rumor. BUT, we've had the BGR report indicating the target of 2/17 for quite a while now, with a few individuals claiming to corroborate it (though I really hate the "I talked to support/customer service/sales rep and they said..." kind of rumor because it's impossible to prove one way or the other and even if it's the truth the reps themselves may be pulling it out of their a$$es... we have no way of knowing).

Those reports of internal BestBuy e-mails indicating a 2/21 relaunch sound plausible, too, actually, especially when you look at the calendar and see just how many days are left in this month.

So, I continue to believe that cited date of the 17th will hold for the internal launch, and I expect to download the update no later than the 22nd. Also, I don't think the Bridge update will drop much earlier than a couple of hours before the OS itself.

But that's just me... Your mileage may vary.
    02-14-12 10:53 AM
    lets hope that rant never sees the light of day kev.
    02-14-12 10:56 AM

At that point bro, Tactfully-written may be a little too polite lol
    02-14-12 10:57 AM
    I think above all else the thing that has me the most excited about OS 2.0 is this:
    Over the last year almost, I think I have seen nearly every review of the PB that is out there. I got mine day 1 and haven't looked back, (typing on it now in fact). Most of those reviewers said that they look forward to re-reviewing it after 2.0 hits and I'm hopeful that it will be a time for a whole new face on the PlayBook, and start a whole new positive feeling for RIM. Have I been irritated that promises weren't kept, of course. But as it has been said, we are under new leadership now and after last year of RIM being torn apart, the new beginning is upon us. After waiting so long, the next few weeks are a nothing.

At least with all the speculation we can all see there are a lot of excited PB owners out there. If the Forums weren't flooded with speculation then I would truly be worried about the future. Things are looking up
    02-14-12 11:02 AM
    It's a question of sources, really. We had that Berryriffic rumor of 2/7 last week, for instance. Looking at their site, they do seem to be reasonably well-connected, so when they claimed an "excellent" source within RIM, it seemed reasonable to lend them some credence. They blew it, obviously, so now "they're dead to me" (and likely many others in this community).

No, I haven't been buying every rumor. BUT, we've had the BGR report indicating the target of 2/17 for quite a while now, with a few individuals claiming to corroborate it (though I really hate the "I talked to support/customer service/sales rep and they said..." kind of rumor because it's impossible to prove one way or the other and even if it's the truth the reps themselves may be pulling it out of their a$$es... we have no way of knowing).

Those reports of internal BestBuy e-mails indicating a 2/21 relaunch sound plausible, too, actually, especially when you look at the calendar and see just how many days are left in this month.

So, I continue to believe that cited date of the 17th will hold for the internal launch, and I expect to download the update no later than the 22nd. Also, I don't think the Bridge update will drop much earlier than a couple of hours before the OS itself.

But that's just me... Your mileage may vary.
    2/21 seems like the most logical date , theres no way that rim employees are going to work on family day if the update is released on the 17th. the monday is a holiday in ontario, theyd have a better chance releasing on the 21st, working out issues during the week and enjoy a couple of weeks of some decent press (hopefully) until the ipad 3 craze begins. so your speculation, seems to hold more bearing than most of the crap ive read.
    Thunderbuck and npunk42 like this.
    02-14-12 11:18 AM
    I cannot speak for everyone, but hopefully there are some like me. I find speculating the dates sort of fun and it increases the anticipation of OS2. Saying that, I also know that there are 29 days in February and I understand the definitions of rumor and speculation. There are rumors that it will come out today, if it doesn't (maybe I should say when), I wouldn't start saying that RIM lied because I based it on rumors and/or others' psychic dog's prediction based on the number of barks.

I don't think the media will give poor marks for missing speculative dates (maybe for waiting until the end of Feb, rather than earlier). Then again, some users might believe it and get disappointed, and therefore it could be a double edge sword in that regards. But please note, that for some, speculation and rumors are fun and interesting.
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-14-12 11:35 AM
    I cannot speak for everyone, but hopefully there are some like me. I find speculating the dates sort of fun and it increases the anticipation of OS2. Saying that, I also know that there are 29 days in February and I understand the definitions of rumor and speculation. There are rumors that it will come out today, if it doesn't (maybe I should say when), I wouldn't start saying that RIM lied because I based it on rumors and/or others' psychic dog's prediction based on the number of barks.

I don't think the media will give poor marks for missing speculative dates (maybe for waiting until the end of Feb, rather than earlier). Then again, some users might believe it and get disappointed, and therefore it could be a double edge sword in that regards. But please note, that for some, speculation and rumors are fun and interesting.
    agreed, fun and interesting, but have you read some of the stories about rim lately? some of these idiots just copy and paste garbage from one website to another. while YOU might not blame rim for a "delay", which is logical because they have even said anything about a date, all the guys rim bashing are just waiting for the next bit of negativity to plaster all over thier site. The speculation is all fun and games, when people start to take it seriously, it becomes a problem.
    02-14-12 12:05 PM
    It's fun to anticipate; I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a software update.

I think the line gets crossed when people become impatient and start blaming RIM for their own distress ("darn it, they OWE ME A RELEASE DATE!!!"). Alec Saunders tweeted this morning: "February. It's only half over!"--I'm good with that
    02-14-12 12:14 PM
    Kevin,
    This is a webinar being held by RIM on Feb 21st, I don't like to speculate, but look at the topic. Maybe you can get some details from Sean McManus?

Everything your business customers need from a tablet, everything they expect from the BlackBerry solution. The BlackBerry PlayBook tablet with PlayBook OS 2.0, brings together the best of BlackBerry communications, powerful productivity tools, favorite applications and the collaboration and communication tools to help make the most out of every opportunity.
    Attend this FREE presentation and discover how BlackBerry PlayBook delivers the performance professionals need to keep up with the speed of business and the portability to stay productive anywhere. Attendees will have a chance to win a BlackBerry 16GB PlayBook tablet*.

Presenter: Sean McManus, Director, Platform Advocacy, Research In Motion Ltd.
    Bio: Sean McManus is the Director of Platform Advocacy in the Enterprise Business Unit of Research In Motion (RIM), makers of the BlackBerry� smartphone and PlayBook™ tablet. Sean is responsible for articulating RIM's Platform and Collaboration Strategy to large global accounts. Sean has over 20 years’ experience selling and marketing advanced voice solutions, including call centres, unified messaging, IP Telephony and IVR. Prior to joining RIM, Sean worked at IBM Global Services and a number of private firms in the voice and telecom industry.
    * Attendee must be present for the duration of the presentation to be eligible to win the BlackBerry PlayBook. Winner will be chosen through a random ballot draw.
    erodenero and Thunderbuck like this.
    02-14-12 12:49 PM
    why stop? do we have better things to do
    02-14-12 01:06 PM
    Kevin,
    This is a webinar being held by RIM on Feb 21st, I don't like to speculate, but look at the topic. Maybe you can get some details from Sean McManus? ...
    Well, this would tend to suggest that 2.0 is going to be demonstrated publicly on Feb 21, which would further suggest that RIM is comfortable MAKING 2.0 public by Feb 21...

Now, if there's a hitch, and the rollout is delayed for some reason, then cancelling/rescheduling this webinar is among the least of RIM's worries, but I'd personally take it as yet another validation of Feb 21.
    02-14-12 02:20 PM
    why stop? do we have better things to do
    nope nothing better to do, but im tired of hearing new dates every day, it just makes the anticipation so much worse. lol
    02-14-12 02:57 PM
    Yup a page full of different speculation dates is a bit much. I don't mind the speculation but maybe they can all be moved to one thread. We're at the half way point now so it won't be much longer. And with the app submission date being moved to March, it is no longer a factor in Rims decision on when to release the update.
    02-14-12 03:17 PM
    i think its going to be released on mwc as it turns out ok in the week but why wouldnt they want to give us a date already we know whats in it? or do we...
    02-14-12 03:32 PM
    i think its going to be released on mwc as it turns out ok in the week but why wouldnt they want to give us a date already we know whats in it? or do we...
    without giving a date, they pretty much are free to release any time in feb, who would want to be locked to a specific date?...it makes sense coming from them, theyve had endless problems with not meeting deadlines...the simple solution seems to be: dont set a deadline at all, or be vague as you can be.
    02-14-12 03:51 PM
    Its funny that a thread on "stopping the speculation" totally becomes all about speculation.

In the interest of furthering the discussion.....when do you think we might start to see beta versions of OS 3.0?
    02-14-12 03:54 PM
    Desktop Software update is out, but please don't speculate on what that might mean!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-14-12 03:58 PM
    Its funny that a thread on "stopping the speculation" totally becomes all about speculation.

In the interest of furthering the discussion.....when do you think we might start to see beta versions of OS 3.0?
    lmao...i was waiting for someone to say it before i did. this is exactly what i was trying to avoid...lol i guess you cant really get around speculation.
    02-14-12 03:59 PM
    Desktop Software update is out, but please don't speculate on what that might mean!
    What?!? That means the release date of OS2 is... oh wait, mine isn't updating yet ( says I have the current version, so maybe the mac version of the DM is slower to release?)... I guess I will hold off on declaring the date. I would declare it now, but I have to plug in specific calculations based on time and also it isn't quite night here, so I can't see where the stars are aligned to. Speculation keeps me occupied, another reason I like it
    02-14-12 04:18 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD