Thinking as to why we have yet to hear of any official release date, it dawned on me...

Rim doesn't want the competition to shadow the release date by some big announcement.

I mean lets face it, the tech world is sitting on the edge of theirs seats, waiting, to see just how powerful this OS will in fact be.

It is no secret how advanced thinking Rim can be, and unseen technologies/sytems they may introduce.( i am not criticizing any other company, they all have there strong points)

OS 2.0 is the rebirth of BLACKBERRY

peace out
    02-13-12 08:02 PM
    Patience...
    02-13-12 08:43 PM
    Niko over at N4BB.com was commenting that 2.0 was going go be game changing. Take that with a grain of salt....I'm pretty sure he was the same Niko on this forum who was sharing all the OS7 device details this time last year.
    02-13-12 08:47 PM
    I mean lets face it, the tech world is sitting on the edge of theirs seats, waiting, to see just how powerful this OS will in fact be.
    Sarcasm?
    02-13-12 08:58 PM
    Sarcasm?
    Excellent question in this case!
    02-13-12 09:30 PM
    With the ipad3 now making its big unveiling (being announced) Wed Mar 7, if I were RIM and didnt want the spotlight stolen, i would get off my lazy a$$ and release OS 2 when they said it would be released.
    02-13-12 09:35 PM
    Maybe they'll release it early, on Feb. 14, as their Valentine's Day gift to everyone!
    02-13-12 09:49 PM
    With the ipad3 now making its big unveiling (being announced) Wed Mar 7, if I were RIM and didnt want the spotlight stolen, i would get off my lazy a$$ and release OS 2 when they said it would be released.
    This is why I think OS2 needed to ship earlier in the month.

We know how Apple operates. This week various blogs and papers will get a leak about an announcement mar 7. That starts the frenzy to hop all over each other to get the story.

Then late next week Apple will probably send out formal invitations to the event. The following week all the tech media will be full of iPad speculation.

Then the event itself, followed by the launch day with queues all over the country a couple weeks later. Before we know it, the iPad has dominated 4-5 weeks of tech media, 2-3 different days of solid coverage in the general media.

Apple has made this into a science. RIM would be foolish to try to launch OS2 right in the middle of this. They should have gone last week or at the latest this week to get some decent amount of attention. Otherwise the front page attention is all about the iPad, and OS2 is some tiny side story or, worse, a joke line in an iPad story.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 02-13-12 at 10:03 PM.
    kevinnugent, CDM76, bbmtna and 1 others like this.
    02-13-12 09:50 PM
    that was for real --- no sarcasm.they are very forward thinking. you have to rid your self of your I-tunnel vision

im a firm believer in BB
    1425956 and CDM76 like this.
    02-13-12 09:51 PM
    They want it to be as air tight as possible. If they give you an exact date that sets a deadline on the employees at RIM. As we all know a deadline can sometimes be missed. This is the most important release of the year. So, give it time.
    02-13-12 09:59 PM
    This is why I think OS2 needed to ship earlier in the month.

We know how Apple operates. This week various blogs and papers will get a leak about an announcement mar 7. That starts the frenzy.

Then late next week Apple will probably send out formal invitations to the event. The following week all the tech media will be full of iPad speculation.

Then the event itself, followed by the launch day with queues all over the country a couple weeks later. Before we know it, the iPad has dominated 4-5 weeks of tech media, 2-3 different days of solid coverage in the general media.

Apple has made this into a science. RIM would be foolish to try to launch OS2 right in the middle of this. They should have gone last week or at the latest this week to get some decent amount of attention. Otherwise the front page attention is all about the iPad, and OS2 is some tiny side story or, worse, a joke line in an iPad story.
    So true! I felt that they did a good job of CES and got pretty good coverage, but it would have made more of a bang if a few weeks later you had OS2 in your hands... they are in a hard spot though like others have mentioned in different posts cause they rush the OS again and they mess it up and that will be it!. So even if it doesn't get that much coverage hopefully what will be, will be positive.
    02-13-12 10:03 PM
    They probably have a max of ten days if they want any press coverage at all. Windows 8 will be out for download on the 29th and Apple is releasing its next iPad the following week. RIM simply can't compete on the media front with either company. BTW, as expected a variety of Windows 7 business tablets are being slated for release along with the Windows 8 download. Best Buy prematurely put Dell's offerings before Dell even got them on their own page, and the retooled HP slates have gone up well. The HPs get 7+ hours on a charge with low power fusion chips. They may still be business class, but it does back up the idea that they will hit the streets early w/free upgrades. While I don't care (on a personal level) whether OS 2 is out soon since I am happy enough with the beta, from a business perspective they better get it out soon before they become a complete afterthought....
    02-13-12 10:10 PM
    that was for real --- no sarcasm.they are very forward thinking. you have to rid your self of your I-tunnel vision

im a firm believer in BB
    you are confusing me even more
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    02-13-12 10:14 PM
    I guess there is not much to talk about. Whatever RIM does so be it.
    02-13-12 10:18 PM
    Thinking as to why we have yet to hear of any official release date, it dawned on me...

Rim doesn't want the competition to shadow the release date by some big announcement.

It is no secret how advanced thinking Rim can be, and unseen technologies/sytems they may introduce.( i am not criticizing any other company, they all have there strong points)

peace out
    No offense, but if this is not sarcasm, it is awfully naive. The competition really doesn't care what RIM delivers. Apple has the market, Google wants the market, and Microsoft is about to make a play for the market. RIM is a minor player in this drama, if they are even on the stage at all. It is a good piece of hardware and a quality OS (once it is released) but I doubt anyone in the competition is paying more than passing attention. RIM is not considered cutting edge by anyone outside the BB/PB fan community, and its market share for the Playbook is such that it gets lumped in with other. In as much as anyone is paying attention, it would be because several companies want to acquire RIM (or its assets)....
    02-13-12 10:20 PM

peace out
    Yeah, I kinda doubt that. Samsung just released the Galaxy Tab 2 which is a 7inch tablet and Apple will be announcing the iPad 3 sometime in March.

Unfortunately RIM generated little to no interest at ECS and in reality (the world beyond this forum) the PlayBook is NOT a major player in the tablet market. At best you could argue that the PB is 3rd after iPad and Kindle Fire for position but in reality its taken a fire sale to generate any increase in sales at all and the PB could never compete at a $300+ price point.

I like my PB but this is the reality if the situation as it stands. The iPad 3 is going to blow everything out of the water sales wise and the Kindle updates will keep the millions of Amazon fans happy. Android lovers will flock to Samsung's newest offerings and that only leaves the PB a very small niche market.

I doubt a SOFTWARE update is going to light any fire under this product. RIM is just trying to tread water with the QNX platform until they can release BB10.

IMHO
    kennyliu likes this.
    02-13-12 10:35 PM
    Outside of this forum, there are very few people who give an s**t about 0S2.

RIM may have found the inflection in the market's price point for 7" wifi tablets at $199 (or maybe even $149), but outside of crackberry, the OS2 release isn't going to cause a ripple.

(.....and I've bought 6 PBs since December, and am buying another this week!)
    02-13-12 10:50 PM
    RIM has got to learn to make products announcement and should give release dates. Osv2 has been in the making since last year. Come on they had almost one year to work on it, if it's not ready by now I don't know what else to say.
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    02-13-12 11:00 PM
    All to true. Sad but true. RIM needs an entirely new tablet, new hardware to go along with its new OS... To compete that is.
    02-13-12 11:01 PM
    Well, I won't miss the pre-release hype 5-6 months prior to the release of a BlackBerry. IMO, save it and spend more money on advertising closer to release.
    02-13-12 11:09 PM

peace out
    and now with this extension of free playbook to developer until march 2 2012 only means OS 2.0 wont be released on february.. so now wait for RIM say... (we are really sorry but as much as we would like to released OS 2.0 at this time.. we WONT because we wanna make sure to get more apps available for the released date) so if they knew this was going to happen, why they did not came with this free playbook to developer way back in january?? knowing they promese OS 2.0 to february.. now they come with this idea to attract developer at the last minute as always!!! i wont be surprised if february 28 comes alone and they come with the same sorry story!! i dont even know what to think about rim anymore!= Dont be surprised if they pull back os 2.0 AGAIN to march
    02-13-12 11:25 PM
    They want it to be as air tight as possible. If they give you an exact date that sets a deadline on the employees at RIM. As we all know a deadline can sometimes be missed. This is the most important release of the year. So, give it time.
    PLEASE... COME ON!!!! how much time do they need??! a whole freaking year lieying to us, and now they even extend the developers dead line a few more weeks at the last minutes. what give it a time do you mean?? im a faithfull bb fans dont get me wrong,but actually im getting tired of this mystery of rim!!! i know we have been very patient and even defending them knowing they had let us down!! and remember.. they just let us down not to ios or android fans!!. so why not just speak out already and tell this rim people enought is.enough!!! just release this freakin OS 2.0!!!!!!!!
    02-13-12 11:41 PM
    PLEASE... COME ON!!!! how much time do they need??! a whole freaking year lieying to us, and now they even extend the developers dead line a few more weeks at the last minutes. what give it a time do you mean?? im a faithfull bb fans dont get me wrong,but actually im getting tired of this mystery of rim!!! i know we have been very patient and even defending them knowing they had let us down!! and remember.. they just let us down not to ios or android fans!!. so why not just speak out already and tell this rim people enought is.enough!!! just release this freakin OS 2.0!!!!!!!!
    Isn't this exactly what Heins said they needed to do? Hit the marks? Well, RIM, time to man up!
    02-13-12 11:48 PM
    os 3.0 will be released on feb 17 2013.
    02-14-12 12:09 AM
    lol, my kids get all agitated too when something exciting is getting close...
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    02-14-12 12:17 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD