So, this question has been bothering me for awhile. What is the point of rooting now, if the actual 2.0 release is coming soon? What is the benefit of being rooted?
    thanks,
    02-12-12 09:22 PM
    Until serious developers get interested in the Playbook (like Jay Freeman developing Cydia for the iPhone), there is no point at all for the average user to gain root access. Although it opens the door to a world of possibilities... it is useless if there is no one with the knowledge or capability to do anything substantial with it. And to date, no one with such abilities has stepped forward (at least that I've seen). To be realistic, it may not be very likely for the Playbook either, considering the options developers have out there (notably Android being open source). The only hope in my opinion, is if QNX starts to gain some traction and interest... which it really hasn't done to date.
    bikester likes this.
    02-12-12 10:07 PM
    Huluberry? Installing Android Market? USB Host mode (there's a one-click script for that now).
    A sideload app store was built by KermEd and the rest of the BNXTreme team, but RIM closed an exploit it needed.
    There's been a TON of work done by a lot of people on this, and they've done amazing things on a MUCH more difficult platform to exploit (made by a company with extreme security interest and amazing security background). Don't knock it

And I'm sure once 2.0 is official there'll be a new Dingleberry with new features.
    02-13-12 08:51 PM
    But, won't we have access to most of that once 2.0 drops? ie, Android apps, and whatever else. I've tried the 2.0 beta, and while awesome, still is a beta and crashed on me far too much to be useful.

thanks
    02-13-12 08:54 PM
    So is your question "what's the point of rooting the OS2 beta instead of just waiting for official OS2?"
    Impatience maybe
    Superfly_FR and bikester like this.
    02-13-12 08:56 PM
    Good answer. Thanks, just wanted to confirm!
    02-13-12 08:57 PM
    IDK, tonight I turned the LED on and off manually by editing a file from my desktop. Red, then green, then green and blue together.

Oh, and made the screen rotate whichever way I wanted without even touching the PB.

Seemed pretty dang cool to me...
    sushistew likes this.
    02-13-12 09:52 PM
    IDK, tonight I turned the LED on and off manually by editing a file from my desktop. Red, then green, then green and blue together.

Oh, and made the screen rotate whichever way I wanted without even touching the PB.

Seemed pretty dang cool to me...
    yup i did that as well, lol
    02-13-12 11:23 PM
    I am new to this forum. Will root a playbook cause any problem, for example, can not use appworld or virus? Thanks
    02-17-12 09:37 PM
    I am new to this forum. Will root a playbook cause any problem, for example, can not use appworld or virus? Thanks
    Potentially could open it up for a virus, but not very likely and nobody is aware of one.

Shouldn't cause any problems either, really just opens up the file system to you at this point, but greater improvements are comming along every day.
    02-17-12 11:22 PM
    The only point is to satisfy curiosity... Hopefully a point will come in the future
    02-18-12 06:08 AM
    I'm pretty confused about the dingleberry.
    I do understand the "I want to get the full power of my device" argument either with "I can be a step ahead to develop future public capabilities" or "I just want to play around". Maybe ten years ago I'd spent hours seeking what and how I could.

Yet, I'm security concerned and having root access to a device that has -somehow- a hardware security model is for me a really deserving point for the brand reputation, in general. People won't make the distinction between phones and tablet ...

So, IMHO, should be stay very confidential and limited to highly experienced users. I must say - for once - that a specific forum section didn't make me feel comfortable with that.

I must get old ...
    02-18-12 06:54 AM
    Gaining root access and low level control isn't a problem as long as user data is well encrypted. The problem is, it's not.
    Making something inaccessible is not the same as making it secure.
    IMO, RIM should worry about encrypting user data before they worry about blocking root access.
    02-18-12 10:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD