My girlfriend purchased a Curve 9360 yesterday, we spent all afternoon switching from her old Curve to the new device, setting up email, Blackberry protect, BBM, etc, then tried installing updates for App World, BBM, Facebook, etc and the thing just started rebooting all the time, not because updates needed to be installed, it just does it out of the blue any time you try doing anything with it. I've read about a few people having this problem, was there a faulty batch of 9360's, or are they just sh*t by design? We're taking it back.

I also purchased a Bold 9900 last year when my contract was up for renewal and ended up switching back to a 9780 because the 9900 had very poor battery life, only lasting a few hours, and the signal dropped out all the time in areas where signal strength is high! I had two handsets and took them both back to the provider who gave me a 9780 instead, and even that has issues, I take it out of my pocket sometimes and it's shut itself down! It was a real shame because I LOVED THE 9900, there's no other phone on the market, that I've seen, with such a great combination of an amazing keyboard and super responsive touchscreen, but it was far too unreliable to keep using.

Is OS 7 causing all the problems?

I'm beginning to wish I had chosen an iphone now, I'm stuck with my piece of cr*p for two years and if I decide to switch to an iphone I'll have to pay full price or buy myself out of my existing contract.

I really don't want to start using anything other than a Blackberry, because I am now a 'Blackberry User' and I love using Blackberrys, but the issues the latest models have are causing me to think seriously about switching.

SORT IT OUT RIM!
    02-12-12 08:46 AM
    Don't know that any one brand can be said to have perfect batches. Duds appear on all platforms.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    02-12-12 08:54 AM
    i can only say that you are down on luck with blackberry. mine has been working perfectly for months. a 9900 and 9810. Even on the stock OS .261 mine was able to last a day. Since you're covered by warranty, why worry. I'm sure if you have read the threads about the bricking/ random reboots, you'd also have read about the amount of people with proper working os 7.0 devices with no issues at all.
    02-12-12 09:12 AM
    I got the 9900, and the 9360 for my wife and Santa brought the Playbook for me... I mean my daughter. No problems and we are in Trinidad where we get the Made in Mexico 4 (the so-called problematic one).

If its still on warranty, carry it in and get a replacement one.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    02-12-12 09:22 AM
    Just think yourself lucky you don't have a Storm 1! My first BB and a nightmare it was a great introduction to making a handset work properly.
    All Blackberry suffer from crap quality control, that's the risk we take in order to own a great piece of life changing kit.
    02-12-12 10:08 AM
    Haste makes waste. If you had stuck with the 9900 and loaded up newer OS's, you'd find improvements in every issue you mentioned. Sorry for your troubles, but as someone has already noted, nobody makes 100% trouble-free devices, not even Apple. My wife has had issues with her iP4s, but she puts up with them because she loves everything else about the phone. I, on the other hand, would have tossed it long ago.

My 9900 has been awesome. Battery life may not be quite as good as previous BB's, but still very acceptable. My 9810 before that, also sporting BB7, was also trouble-free and a huge step up from the 9800.
    02-12-12 10:10 AM
    Just think yourself lucky you don't have a Storm 1! My first BB and a nightmare it was a great introduction to making a handset work properly.
    All Blackberry suffer from crap quality control, that's the risk we take in order to own a great piece of life changing kit.
    Pardon my french, but this is complete horsesh!t.
    02-12-12 10:11 AM
    Seems pretty tame to me, please explain your issue?
    02-12-12 10:15 AM
    Seems pretty tame to me, please explain your issue?
    The claim that "all blackberry suffer from crap quality control" is patently absurd. Period.

If you're basing this claim on your experiences with the Storm, that's like evaluating everything Apple has ever done based on the Lisa.

If you're basing this claim on questions or issues you see reported in this online forum, I'd suggest you take a look in forums dedicated to any other manufacturer of anything, not just smart phones. You'll see an inordinate amount of complaints of issues with those products, because people tend to seek help for (or vent about) things that don't work, and not so much for things that do.

I don't know what else anyone could possibly derive such a notion from.
    02-12-12 11:15 AM
    Haste makes waste. If you had stuck with the 9900 and loaded up newer OS's, you'd find improvements in every issue you mentioned. Sorry for your troubles, but as someone has already noted, nobody makes 100% trouble-free devices, not even Apple. My wife has had issues with her iP4s, but she puts up with them because she loves everything else about the phone. I, on the other hand, would have tossed it long ago.

My 9900 has been awesome. Battery life may not be quite as good as previous BB's, but still very acceptable. My 9810 before that, also sporting BB7, was also trouble-free and a huge step up from the 9800.
    Well excuse me for expecting a �450 phone to work without problems. Do you think I'm a fool? I installed all the latest software on both of the 9900's that I ended up taking back.

I'm guessing that you guys are all in the US? Here in the UK it's been big news that record numbers of Blackberry owners are ditching their handsets in favour of other brands. Perhaps a faulty batch of units have been produced for sale over here.

If anyone has any helpful comments other than 'well I have one of those and I haven't had issues with it', then please add something to this thread because all I want is my girlfriend to have a phone that works in return for her hard earned cash.
    Last edited by TheShez; 02-12-12 at 11:24 AM.
    02-12-12 11:16 AM
    I know a lot of people who take their blackberries back because of minor issues. My 9700 and 9900 going good so far
    02-12-12 11:28 AM
    Well excuse me for expecting a �450 phone to work without problems. Do you think I'm an ? I installed all the latest software on both of the 9900's that I ended up taking back.

I'm guessing that you guys are all in the US? Here in the UK it's been big news that record numbers of Blackberry owners are ditching their handsets in favour of other brands. Perhaps a faulty batch of units have been produced for sale over here.

If anyone has any helpful comments other than 'well I have one of those and I haven't had issues with it', then please add something to this thread because all I want is my girlfriend to have a phone that works in return for her hard earned cash.
    Since it's always difficult to evaluate the causes of problems without further details or having the phone in hands, I may say that the 9900 seems to be more bullet-proof than a lemon, in general. Kevin reported that some models "nuked" (his included) but it doesn't seem to be the common case, far from it.

When I get in such troubles with electronic devices, my first thought goes to software issues (reboot after each install of app, corrupted upgrade, for instance). Then, I always apply the same behavior :
    1. Save all I can (backup / sync)
    2. Wipe the device as deep as I can
    3. Make sure my desktop software is the latest and clean (means : un-install, delete remaining files, reboot, re-install CARRIER latest official release)
    4. Start a fresh & regular official install.
    4bis : Always check the SD card ... can be tricky sometimes (try with no card)
    5. Success : good - Fail : exchange.

And for ditching in U.K ... BB is still #1 there, say the latest news ...
    02-12-12 11:31 AM
    Mine isn't. Can't speak for all.
    02-12-12 11:33 AM
    9860 here, had it for over a week now, never gave me any problems
    02-12-12 11:40 AM
    The claim that "all blackberry suffer from crap quality control" is patently absurd. Period.

If you're basing this claim on your experiences with the Storm, that's like evaluating everything Apple has ever done based on the Lisa.

If you're basing this claim on questions or issues you see reported in this online forum, I'd suggest you take a look in forums dedicated to any other manufacturer of anything, not just smart phones. You'll see an inordinate amount of complaints of issues with those products, because people tend to seek help for (or vent about) things that don't work, and not so much for things that do.

I don't know what else anyone could possibly derive such a notion from.
    I derive my "notion" from having owned four Storm's, three 7### series, two 9000's, one 8900, one 9700 and three 9900's.
    Without fail every Blackberry I have owned has had qc issues, be they with fit and finish or software.
    At no point have I suggested that any other firm has better qc than RIM.
    I should add that I would never be without my 'berry, it is a constant source of pleasure to me.
    Furthermore, get knotted.
    tjioer likes this.
    02-12-12 11:40 AM
    never ever returned a blackberry in the time i have them.
    if you really tried all solutions you can think off and none doesn't work.
    return it and hope you will get a better one back.
    there is actually nothing you can do when the device isn't working properly.
    even with the solutions you have tried. yes it's kind of frustrating and too much at times.
    but hope it would work out for yah.
    02-12-12 11:43 AM
    Since it's always difficult to evaluate the causes of problems without further details or having the phone in hands, I may say that the 9900 seems to be more bullet-proof than a lemon, in general. Kevin reported that some models "nuked" (his included) but it doesn't seem to be the common case, far from it.

When I get in such troubles with electronic devices, my first thought goes to software issues (reboot after each install of app, corrupted upgrade, for instance). Then, I always apply the same behavior :
    1. Save all I can (backup / sync)
    2. Wipe the device as deep as I can
    3. Make sure my desktop software is the latest and clean (means : un-install, delete remaining files, reboot, re-install CARRIER latest official release)
    4. Start a fresh & regular official install.
    4bis : Always check the SD card ... can be tricky sometimes (try with no card)
    5. Success : good - Fail : exchange.

And for ditching in U.K ... BB is still #1 there, say the latest news ...
    At last a helpful response!

This is kind of like trying to convince someone that the football team they've supported all their life is sh!t, lol.

I did read that wiping the device and reinstalling everything may be the way to go, but it seems like a lot to have to do just to get a brand new phone working. God help any smart phone owners who don't know how to do any of the above.

When I returned my 9900 one of the sales assistants admitted that they'd had a few brought back and two of my friends have had problems with theirs.

I'm sure Blackberrys are still the best selling phone in the UK, I'm not disputing that, but there have been reports of current users not being happy with the performance of their handsets.

Don't get me wrong people, I LOVE my Blackberry, when it's working how it should.
    02-12-12 12:18 PM
    For my part, beside the minor battery issue at the beginning, everything runs smoothly. When I received my phone, the battery was basically holding 5 hours of working time. with a little research on CB, reading other users solution, now I can use my phone for 10 hours without any problems.

Tips I followed: turn off the apps that you are not using, in background.
    Plug your phone ovenight. At least 6-8 hours.
    When I travel from home to office (30-45 minutes drive) I plug my phone in the car charger. I was doing that with my Ip 4 too !!

When I compare my 9900 with my friend Ip4s, which is a lot worst at holding a charge, I get the win. The other phone seems to be very hard on the batt.

So is the 9900 so bad now ? No it's a very decent phone for the price. Take the time to get to know your phone, if it's faulty take it back, but don't say that all the phones are faulty.
    02-12-12 12:23 PM
    have u tested the bb hardware - always verify hw perfect bef fuss w sw

on my 9650 (if no same on yrs, someone here will know what do to test yours)

1go to options icon, open.
    2choose and open status
    3type 'test' -- letters will not show up but testing option will appear once all 4 letters of test are typed. can save results.
    if doesnt pass, bring back. if does, is os or app issue. in which case, go slowly in setting up. and will narrow down what worked on old phone and not new.
    good luck
    02-12-12 12:31 PM
    How can you be stuck with it for 2 years if you took it back? If you returnerd it, they should have reversed your upgrade and contract, so you should be able to get the iphone you want.

Edit: as for build quality, it's always hit or miss with every company, I had to swap out my $1,600 macbook air twice before I got one without any faults (first one faulty screen, second was just horrible all around). The first toirch 9860 I got was perfect, but ended up taking it back because I missed having an actual keyboard. The first 9810 I got after the swap had a fualty touchscreen and touchpad so I swapped that one out and the new one I've got is perfect. So no, not all are bad.
    Last edited by fernandez21; 02-12-12 at 01:10 PM.
    02-12-12 01:04 PM
    The first thing you wanna do is backup all the info on both phones. Try to use things like Blackberry Protect to backup your personal info. I say this because you want to restore info using BlackBerry Desktop Manager as little as possible. Using BBDM to restore some messages or calander appointments is fine but please keep from using BBDM from restoring any settings or third party apps. Another good thing to do is to keep all your "App PassKeys" in the "Password Keeper" since Blackberry Protect will backup and restore the Password Keeper. Any important Emails you wanna keep? Save them! Blackberry Protect will backup your "Saved Messages" but will not backup all your messages.

Make Sure all Blackup options in Blackberry Protect have been enabled. Do a full backup using Blackberry Protect.

Do a full Backup of both phones using Desktop Manager on your computer for safe keeping.

Find the latest "Leaked OS" for each phone and download them to the computer. Do not install them yet.
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-os

Download and Install BBSAK if you don't have it yet.
    http://bbsak.org/

Download and Install CCleaner.
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=fPV6zRCU

Go to the control panel on your computer, go to installed programs, and uninstall any Blackberry Device Operating Systems you have installed.

Restart the computer.

Run CCleaner with all options checked. Run all 3 parts of CCleaner, I believe its OS, Programs, and Registry.

Install the leaked OS for the first phone you wish to update. Only one Blackberry OS install and Phone update at a time. Don't install both OS's together.

Restart the computer.

In the PC control panel go to the "File Options" and make sure you have checked "Show Hidden Files".

Delete any "vendor.xml" files from the following locations on your computer.

C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML Where xxxx is the name of your pc.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader

Here is a link to help you find any vendor.xml files that may keep your OS from loading: vendor.xml both locations - Google Search

Right click on BBSAK and click "Run as Administrator".

Plug your phone in using the USB cable and BBSAK should recognize your phone. Use BBSAK to "WIPE" your device. This will take awhile. Next, use BBSAK to "Reset to Factory Defaults", this is on the "Other Tab" in BBSAK. This will also take awhile. When its finished close BBSAK.

Now to load the OS. Go to: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader and right click on "loader.exe" and "Run as Administrator". This should start the loading process.

It will ask you to choose various options for the install. Make sure "Blackberry Protect" and "Password Keeper" are to be installed.

Start the install. It will take awhile. Have a smoke or a cappuccino, or both!

Repair Built-In Storage & Memory Card:
    Options/Device/Storage - BB Key "Repair"

Restart the phone 3 or 4 times using alt-shift-Del

When its done you can run through the setup program, have Blackberry Protect restore any info it backed up, and reinstall your third party apps.

For the second phone you can go back to the top and start where you remove any unnecessary Blackberry OS's before installing the one you wish to load.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 02-13-12 at 02:40 PM.
    02-12-12 01:27 PM
    How can you be stuck with it for 2 years if you took it back? If you returnerd it, they should have reversed your upgrade and contract, so you should be able to get the iphone you want.

Edit: as for build quality, it's always hit or miss with every company, I had to swap out my $1,600 macbook air twice before I got one without any faults (first one faulty screen, second was just horrible all around). The first toirch 9860 I got was perfect, but ended up taking it back because I missed having an actual keyboard. The first 9810 I got after the swap had a fualty touchscreen and touchpad so I swapped that one out and the new one I've got is perfect. So no, not all are bad.
    I don't think you read my post correctly, I took back TWO 9900's, after TWO of them were faulty I then switch to a 9780, which occasionally, maybe once or twice a day, shut itself down. I'm stuck with it for two years because I took out a two year contract and the phone can only be returned within the first two weeks, after that it's a warranty issue with RIM, but the phone has been dropped, so there is no doubt I would be blamed.

Now my girlfriend has bought a Curve 9360 and it keeps rebooting for no reason.

Let's clarify here, four Blackberry handsets purchased, all of which have some kind of technical issue. I'm not sure how you guys think, but I would say that would indicate that the product is unreliable, does it not?
    02-12-12 01:39 PM
    Install the OS's like I posted above and the phones will be fine. Its a shame you traded a 9900 for a 9780. Another thing to keep in mind is having that many phones with the same problem indicates a faulty app or user error. Instead of saying all Blackberry's are faulty, I would "Wonder what they all had in common".
    Last edited by olblueyez; 02-12-12 at 01:52 PM.
    sleepngbear and Blacklatino like this.
    02-12-12 01:48 PM
    For my part, beside the minor battery issue at the beginning, everything runs smoothly. When I received my phone, the battery was basically holding 5 hours of working time. with a little research on CB, reading other users solution, now I can use my phone for 10 hours without any problems.

Tips I followed: turn off the apps that you are not using, in background.
    Plug your phone ovenight. At least 6-8 hours.
    When I travel from home to office (30-45 minutes drive) I plug my phone in the car charger. I was doing that with my Ip 4 too !!

When I compare my 9900 with my friend Ip4s, which is a lot worst at holding a charge, I get the win. The other phone seems to be very hard on the batt.

So is the 9900 so bad now ? No it's a very decent phone for the price. Take the time to get to know your phone, if it's faulty take it back, but don't say that all the phones are faulty.
    To be honest that's a lot worse than my iPhone. I'm 12-14 hours off charger now and at 73%. I don't need to bump charge.

I laugh as a general observation- I remember over a year ago have to plug the iPhone in throughout the day was a mistake and BB was so much better because of battery life, and now people are having to plug it in throughout the day and it's no longer a problem. Not directed at you but I remember epic arguments about "if I had to bump charge I'd return my phone!"
    Sent from my brain using Tapatalk
    Last edited by reeneebob; 02-12-12 at 01:57 PM.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    02-12-12 01:55 PM
    Yea, why is the iphone always the answer to every BlackBerry issue? Why would you want an iphone? That device had antennagate with calls dropping all over the place unless you held the slab a certain way.
    02-12-12 01:57 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD