There is dust in the entire left side of the screen. It is very noticeable, and it is very annoying. Should I get my phone replaced or is there a DIY way of removing it?
    02-11-12 05:38 PM
    Most carriers won't replace the phone because of a cosmetic issue. Having said that, the trouble of trying to get a replacement will have to outweigh your level of annoyance. If the phone still works like it should, you might be better off living with the dust because if you are lucky enough to get a replacement, it might not work as well as what you have. On the other hand, if the phone has other hardware problems, get the phone replaced and don't even mention the dust.

As to removing the dust yourself, you'd likely void your warranty if it meant removing the screen. Best to avoid that.
    02-11-12 05:59 PM
    Do you mean the space between the phone`s bezel and the screen?

If so, that happens to me from time to time and I just run a small piece of paper through it and that does the trick.
    02-11-12 06:55 PM
    i don't have that problem, my 9900 lcd screen is free of dust.
    not any noticable dust or anything like that under the screen/digitizer.
    it's really ugly looking when you got that. really not eye-catchy at all.
    your lcd should be dust free, that's how it is period. try to go back and fire them up,
    with your problem and tell them this isn't the way it should be.
    it should be a closed component, it seems yours is not like that, and that's why the dust is coming in?
    i won't be happy when i can't see anything anymore when the screen is full of dust.
    there will be much more dust collecting under the screen by time.
    02-11-12 07:09 PM
    you may be able to get a warranty or insurance replacment, but it will be a refurb phone (at least if you are in the US).

But I personally would try and get it replaced. Something like dust under the screen is definitely a hardware defect and isn't a common occurance with the 99XX series as far as I've heard.

I know there are diy ways of fixing it, but the dust will most likely come back and you will void your warranty.
    02-11-12 07:10 PM
    I have the same issue and mine is only 5 days old!!!!! It's on the bottom left of the screen where the gap between the bezel and the screen is. The gap on the right hand side is somewhat closer than the one on the left :-/ It's quite frustrating when the phone is not even a week old and I'm quite anal when it comes to brand new stuff. I obviously won't get a replacement for this as I live in Australia and this is a business owned unit. I just did a search on dust under bold 9900 and a few hits came up, so I don't know why we're all getting different experience when the device should be the same for all. Mine is made in Hungary 2 if that means anything.

I'd love to take my 9900 apart and clean it but according to the video that's been floating around, it doesn't show how to take the actual LCD screen apart to get to the position where cleaning is permitted.
    Last edited by james2k8; 02-11-12 at 09:12 PM.
    02-11-12 09:05 PM
    I've had dust building up under my screen for close to 5 months. Finally took it into verizon wireless today and they are sending me a new one, should arrive on tuesday. But yes, they seemed to think it was a warranty swap out.

I would say let it build up enough so its fairly visiable and can't be ignored. Then bring it in and swap it out. Don't let them do it as insurance swap, but a warranty swap. Just be nice, calm, and persistent about it and it should work out.

I didn't have a screem protecter on the first one, but I'm thinking about putting one on the replacment, especially covering the area between the track pad and the bottom of the screen. I think that's where the dust gets in.

It does kinda suck that this is happening to some people, but at the end of the day, as long as they swap it out, its RIM's problem now and they will loose money on it. Hopefully that will spur some improved quality control.
    Last edited by StumptownBold; 02-12-12 at 12:49 AM.
    02-12-12 12:46 AM
    my 1st 9900 had dust under the lens cover...i didn't notice till i took a pic with it a week after i got it. problem was i bought it outright and unlocked it so best buy told me they wouldn't do anything for me. i made it quite clear eventually one way or the other they would see my point of view anyway and should just make it easier on everyone involved by just replacing it. i can be rather..persuasive..they decided it would be in everyone's best interest just to give me what i wanted and get me out of the store. my new one's perfect and dust free
    02-12-12 12:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD