Are there any gps apps that support the playbook? something thats offline..

coming from android, theres this app called sygic, which works great offline, turn by turn navigation and stuff..

so im wondering, since the playbook does have an internal GPS system, what app can do this?
    02-11-12 03:24 PM
    there is much offline gps map on app world but you need to pay .99 to 9.99 each map and these map are city only not a specific territory .....i had saw montreal city at 9.99$ so it's very expensive........i'm pilot and i'm looking for offline and offroad gps app but for now i've found nothing too

good luck and hope Dev will made one app soon
    02-11-12 03:30 PM
    damn i see

before i got the playbook, i had the samsung galaxy 8.9 tablet, and it was nice.. it had features i wanted, front-back camera(for skype), APPS, and GPS.

I used SYGIC on that tablet, i had a mount on the car with the tablet there.
    An 8.9 inch screen is hella nice for a gps.

but.. i returned it because 400 was a big burn out of my pocket, i picked up a bb playbook for 120, its great.. but realistically, i cant even use the gps on this thing.. :/
    02-11-12 03:57 PM
    My pet peave, too. Well, after OS2 arrives, maybe Sygic will work.
    02-11-12 04:03 PM
    damn i see

before i got the playbook, i had the samsung galaxy 8.9 tablet, and it was nice.. it had features i wanted, front-back camera(for skype), APPS, and GPS.

I used SYGIC on that tablet, i had a mount on the car with the tablet there.
    An 8.9 inch screen is hella nice for a gps.

but.. i returned it because 400 was a big burn out of my pocket, i picked up a bb playbook for 120, its great.. but realistically, i cant even use the gps on this thing.. :/
    Sounds like you should find someone else selling their galaxy tab cheaper than you sold yours.
    02-11-12 04:05 PM
    I don't recall, is it "mapdroid" or similar which is an Android app folks say works offline but you need the OS2 beta or wait a week or two (or twenty!) for the official os2 release.
    02-11-12 04:18 PM
    There are people working on good offline map apps. In the meantime, I suggest you stay away from the existing "on-device" map apps, as they've almost universally been slammed by anyone unfortunate enough to have spent money on them. It looks like hundreds of bad reviews have been left, and all deleted. The few good reviews on some of them are apparently sometimes left by the vendor and friends, as we've established in past threads.
    02-11-12 04:34 PM
    I don't understand why no one is trying viewranger. It can download maps for offline use and has really good GPS support. There are also a number of third part maps that can be downloaded to it. They say that fifty percent of mountain rescue teams in UK use it for guidance in their work.

It is available in Appworld for download.
    09-02-12 07:49 AM
    OSMAND ! Its a free Android app
    09-02-12 08:34 AM
    Osmand is really good. I haved used it on our current 3 day multi-state vacation and it has done great. The only issue I have seen so far is it doesn't switch to alternate/new routes as fast as a dedicated GPS. It has taken as long as 5 miles for it to stop asking me to do a U turn.
    09-02-12 09:03 AM
    OsMand?

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    09-02-12 09:12 AM
    OsmAnd and Magellan both can cache maps for offline navigation. Not sure if Magellan can reroute or not (still have to play with it more), but OsmAnd has offline navigation and rerouting (although they call it experimental).
    09-02-12 10:03 AM
    I don't understand why no one is trying viewranger. It can download maps for offline use and has really good GPS support. There are also a number of third part maps that can be downloaded to it. They say that fifty percent of mountain rescue teams in UK use it for guidance in their work.

It is available in Appworld for download.
    Do you have a .BAR to install on PB?
    Edit: found it in the Appworld; has terrible reviews, sorry
    Last edited by smweb; 09-02-12 at 11:34 AM.
    09-02-12 10:19 AM
    Do you have a .BAR to install on PB?
    Edit: found it in the Appworld; has terrible reviews, sorry

Terrible review but works well.
    09-02-12 10:21 PM
    Terrible review but works well.
    So you disagree with the various poor reviews? What do you like if you don't mind my asking?

Well, I installed it but it demands access to "personal information" and will not run. I UNinstalled it without running it.
    Last edited by F2; 09-03-12 at 07:52 PM.
    09-02-12 11:19 PM
    Sideload Mapdroyd or Google Maps 6.2. They allow you to download maps for offline use.
    09-04-12 05:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD