�But now 2.0 is a complete overhaul. It changes the experience. We�ve added apps like print-to-go, new file transfer capabilities, and enhanced every other app.�

One of the most important of these enhancements, and probably the very heart of the device in terms of differentiating it from all others, is that the operating system is separated from the apps and data that have been installed on the device. The result: PlayBook users don't have to back up and restore every time an update of the operating system is released.

The implication of this is simple but powerful: the PlayBook has leapfrogged all other tablet makers in ensuring the stability of the user experience across versions.

�The single biggest issue on any platform is that customers hate backing up all data and having to restore it. Firstly, there is often a lot of data to restore. Secondly, you can�t use the device while you are doing the upgrade. Thirdly, you are never sure if you will get it all back,

�Yet, it is an unnecessary step. One of great things we have done is that we have partitioned the device, and used the QNX micro-kernel to partition areas of the OS quite effectively. We have separate the radio function from the core OS. That will help is speed up carrier certification as well, which was part of the bottleneck we were trying to fix.

Gadget Web Site - Playtime at RIM
    02-10-12 10:39 PM
    Thirdly, you are never sure if you will get it all back,
    Is this really a problem? I remember some struggles with early Treos, etc., but have restores been problematic in the past decade?
    02-10-12 10:51 PM
    If you have to explain it, it's not an advantage.

iOS introduced over the air incremental updates. No need to back up. Next.
    02-11-12 12:38 AM
    Can't wait to see how this works, a seamless upgrade 'flowing' in the background
    02-11-12 08:51 AM
    Even on Android it upgrades in the background while you do other stuff, turns off for ten minutes or so while it does file system stuff, and that's it. On iPad you also have incremental upgrades, with your stuff being backed up to iCloud without the user ever noticing.

There's no advantage to explain here, since nobody with an iPad or Android tablet is bothered or inconvenienced by this stuff.
    02-11-12 09:01 AM
    There's no advantage to explain here, since nobody with an iPad or Android tablet is bothered or inconvenienced by this stuff.
    Exactly. Had the PlayBook launched with this feature it would've been an advantage over the iPad, but with iOS 5 available. . . not so much.
    02-11-12 10:22 AM
    What's really cool is how BB10 will also target the embedded device market....certain parts of the OS can be removed or even added onto based on how it is applied in the environment ....cool stuff
    02-11-12 10:55 AM
    Lion running on a mac needs to restart after an upgrade...

The RIM rep is stating it happens without any kind of interruption...this is a leap-frog situation...this probably comes from QNX's roots in critical systems where it has to function without any interruption

QNX is ice-cold
    02-11-12 11:10 AM

The RIM rep is stating it happens without any kind of interruption...this is a leap-frog situation...this probably comes from QNX's roots in critical systems where it has to function without any interruption

QNX is ice-cold
    Now they just need to introduce QNX "Fast boot" or "no re-boot" technology
    02-11-12 01:00 PM
    Now they just need to introduce QNX "Fast boot" or "no re-boot" technology
    They'll have no re-boot when they fix the software bugs…the only time I re-start is when GPS isn't working properly…otherwise the OS has been 'solid' for my pb …ideally it seems like the OS is designed not to reboot
    Last edited by anthogag; 02-11-12 at 02:21 PM.
    02-11-12 02:18 PM

QNX is ice-cold
    With macs only changes to the (monolithic)Kernel require rebooting.

QNX having a micro kernel design has drivers, filesystem, and services run outside of the kernel. That means if the server or driver fails or is updated it doesn't affect the OS. If it fails then hopefully the OS restarts the failed service and life continues. QNX has QNET which is just a server that is being run by QNX devices to talk to one another. That means talking over bluetooth, LAN or the internet. Hmmm the internet

Bridge is basically QNET and allows a user to control other QNX devices or push/pull information/media. We've see that with the remote control, typing and opening a file (Open on) on a PlayBook as if you did it yourself. Also possible is the ability to control a robot natively, or ANY other QNX operated machine/device. Pretty sure you can't do that with IOS or Android lol.

So the advantage of the PlayBook isn't in having ONE PB, but the advantages when there is more than one (QNX device)
    Yeah ice-cold QNX I want some!
    Last edited by dentynefire; 02-11-12 at 03:04 PM.
    kbz1960 and missing_K-W like this.
    02-11-12 02:56 PM
    With macs only changes to the (monolithic)Kernel require rebooting.

QNX having a micro kernel design has drivers, filesystem, and services run outside of the kernel. That means if the server or driver fails or is updated it doesn't affect the OS. If it fails then hopefully the OS restarts the failed service and life continues. QNX has QNET which is just a server that is being run by QNX devices to talk to one another. That means talking over bluetooth, LAN or the internet. Hmmm the internet

Bridge is basically QNET and allows a user to control other QNX devices or push/pull information/media. We've see that with the remote control, typing and opening a file (Open on) on a PlayBook as if you did it yourself. Also possible is the ability to control a robot natively, or ANY other QNX operated machine/device. Pretty sure you can't do that with IOS or Android lol.

So the advantage of the PlayBook isn't in having ONE PB, but the advantages when there is more than one (QNX device)
    Yeah ice-cold QNX I want some!
    Just think of what BRIDGE will be like on a BBX Phone The 2 devices will be super intergrated
    missing_K-W likes this.
    02-11-12 03:36 PM
    Well, if you're talking about stuff like using your phone to control and app on your tablet, iOS also has that. For example you can use an iPhone as a control pad for ipad games. I can transfer files wirelessly between my Android devices, or use one of them as a remote.

We'll see a lot more integration between devices that's true, but it's not a Playbook advantage like the poster suggested.

However, if you want to educate people on how to use their Playbooks to control their household robots, good luck marketing to that particular niche.

The point we were raising in regards to the OP was that reboots are really a thing of the past, at least on iOS and Android.

And yes, while QNX has an interesting architecture, there is a reason why other operating systems have moved away from micro kernels. (Like the old Windows Mobile for example) they have their disadvantages as well as some advantages, and a micro kernel by itself is far from an advantage. One could in fact make the argument that QNX really wasn't built or designed for what RIM is using it for. There is a big difference between a relatively simple task like controlling a valve in a pipeline or a traffic signal, and controlling a whole computer, like mobile devices increasingly are. Time will tell whether RIM chose the right tool for the job.
    02-11-12 04:03 PM
    Well, if you're talking about stuff like using your phone to control and app on your tablet, iOS also has that. For example you can use an iPhone as a control pad for ipad games. I can transfer files wirelessly between my Android devices, or use one of them as a remote.

We'll see a lot more integration between devices that's true, but it's not a Playbook advantage like the poster suggested.

However, if you want to educate people on how to use their Playbooks to control their household robots, good luck marketing to that particular niche.

The point we were raising in regards to the OP was that reboots are really a thing of the past, at least on iOS and Android.

And yes, while QNX has an interesting architecture, there is a reason why other operating systems have moved away from micro kernels. (Like the old Windows Mobile for example) they have their disadvantages as well as some advantages, and a micro kernel by itself is far from an advantage. One could in fact make the argument that QNX really wasn't built or designed for what RIM is using it for. There is a big difference between a relatively simple task like controlling a valve in a pipeline or a traffic signal, and controlling a whole computer, like mobile devices increasingly are. Time will tell whether RIM chose the right tool for the job.

I recall one example they gave was QNX in routers

Here is what I found in one article...

The real-time operating system is used where software failure can lead to catastrophic consequences, even death - from high-speed trains to air traffic control towers to highway toll systems. It's also used in more than 100 different types of cars on the road.

Here's a link to the article...

CDN - Nuclear plant powers up on real-time OS

Your pipe and traffic light examples look pretty lame in comparison
    missing_K-W likes this.
    02-11-12 06:11 PM
    im not sure why people are thinking this is new. Android has been operating like this for a while as mentioned and iOS does now too. Previous BB devices also could do this if the carriers allowed for it.

Now I am sure there is more to it then what BBOS 5 had back a couple years ago. But the concept is not "leapfrogging" as suggested above
    Rickroller likes this.
    02-11-12 06:16 PM
    @CrackedBarry

Let me tell you what I think,

Regarding controlling an app via phone to tablet, Bridge will allow everything to be controlled not just on a per app basis, its global. Plus the Open On feature is better than IOS since you don't have to start watching a movie on say an iPad then press a button to start airplay. Open on pushes the media to the right device at the start. It isn't mirroring.

You can't use your IOS device or Android phone to type on another device (tablet) without an app that controls just the app it was designed for. RIM wins here because you will be able to use the phone as a remote for every app. Thats fully baked into the OS!

Better integration between devices, or More devices?

Controlling household robots? Well if the roomba was QNX based it might be nice Aside from vacuums, having an advantage doesn't suddenly create a disadvantage. Options are good yes? As far as niche markets go, isn't that why there are so many apps and in many different categories?

Reboots a thing of the past, we'll see. But yes not an advantage as others have said. I will point out that you neglected to include Tablet OS along with Android and IOS as having that ability.

QNX wasn't designed for what RIM is using it for. Since it was created before people had mobile phones?$#@! Fact is as an OS QNX does what it does well enough that extremely large companies use and depend on it for the most critical of jobs on Earth or above it. What RIM does with it is put it in the hands of ordinary people. QNX doesn't need to apologize to you for being awesome. Yes time WILL tell...

Further to what the OP stated about the separation of OS and user data, Linux and I'm not sure about QNX as a default gives users a home partition which is separate from the OS. You can format the OS partition and install a different one while keeping all your data aside from any OS modifications obviously. PB only offers wipe OS which I'm pretty sure formats the entire "disc". Its one of my favorite things since I know what files I've changed...I'd like to see the same w/QNX - a home/user partition.
    Angelo_Campher likes this.
    02-11-12 06:17 PM
    We kind of take it for granted.... But do you think that somewhere at RIM there is a department where they take Android and Apple devices and test them. It seems like these guys at RIM believe they have invented the wheel or something??
    02-11-12 08:19 PM
    Do some of you kinda almost see why using one mobile device to control another may not be considered a marketable advantage?

Sent from my NOOKcolor using Tapatalk
    02-11-12 08:36 PM
    Do some of you kinda almost see why using one mobile device to control another may not be considered a marketable advantage?

Sent from my NOOKcolor using Tapatalk
    It's not needed, but a nice addition. It gives BB owners who purchase a BB an added benefit. I am sure there are similar benefits to owning an Android Tablet/device or an iOS phone/pad.
    02-11-12 10:49 PM
    We kind of take it for granted.... But do you think that somewhere at RIM there is a department where they take Android and Apple devices and test them. It seems like these guys at RIM believe they have invented the wheel or something??
    I like what I'm seeing with OS2 + Bridge. Seems like a much more elegant solution than using a handful of apps if that is what you're talking about. And like another poster alluded to with multiple QNX based devices connected via WIFI or Bluetooth sync/sharing will be seamless like in the QNX car exhibit that won best of at the last CES.

What do you have against that anyway?
    02-12-12 01:33 AM
    It's not needed, but a nice addition. It gives BB owners who purchase a BB an added benefit. I am sure there are similar benefits to owning an Android Tablet/device or an iOS phone/pad.
    I wouldn't argue with that. It is a nice addition, and I like the added benefit angle.
    02-12-12 09:15 AM
    It is needed and a marketable feature, especially for people making presentations. Ex. you can control the presentation from a distance and if something comes-up during the presentation you can use your phone to...Ex. show an extra picture, go to a website,
    The PB can be used by a person with a non-BB device. Right? I mean, a Samsung Galaxy owner could go and buy a PB. The PB would still work? Right?

You need to start reading posts.
    02-12-12 10:43 AM
    The PB can be used by a person with a non-BB device. Right? I mean, a Samsung Galaxy owner could go and buy a PB. The PB would still work? Right?

You need to start reading posts.
    Of couse they can. Just won't be able to control it with their phone. Otherwise it works like any other tablet they may choose to own. Unless android or iOS also have this if you either phone. How about if I buy an android or ipad. Can I contoll it with my bb?
    02-12-12 11:30 AM
    Of couse they can. Just won't be able to control it with their phone. Otherwise it works like any other tablet they may choose to own. Unless android or iOS also have this if you either phone. How about if I buy an android or ipad. Can I contoll it with my bb?
    Thanks for the insightful wisdom. That isn't what was being discussed.

Again, read the post.
    02-12-12 12:36 PM

What you are describing is a simple software interaction utilizing API's.

QNX unlike iOS,Android &WP7 supports Distributed Multi Processing, which QNX holds patents for their version of DMP call Transparent Multi Processing. This protocol module (known as qnet) links the microkernels across the network together, so that operating system services are accessed using exactly the same mechanism without regard to the computer node on which they reside.

DMP allows QNX to view 2+ separate devices as being on the same network. Not simply apps. But the ENTIRE OS.....We are going to have software capabilities with QNX BB's that we have never seen before, or will see on other devices.
    02-12-12 04:21 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD