Who's the Smartphone OS Crash Champion? | PCWorld

Seems the idea that iOS is the most stable OS is just lies & Marketing (BB wasn't mentioned in this Study)

The author of the article noted that he expected iFans to be up in arms about this study & looking at the replies to his article, I would say he was right.

My iPad and iPhone literally run for weeks and months without a reboot. My Android phone gets really wonky if I don't reboot it on average once a day. It's a given that a device that is rebooted more often is going to be less prone to crashing. So, I don't dispute these numbers, but it really doesn't put to bed the question of Android's stability vs that of iOS. Fact is, iOS wins hands down. I'd rather have an OS that crashes but can run for months than one that forces me to reboot (sometimes twice a day) to keep it happy.
    I would be very suprised if this was normalized based on time spent on the phone. Iphone users use their phone more often and use more unique programs. Hard to crash a phone if you only make calls on it.
    This sounds like someone is comparing a jailbroken iDevice vs an untouched Android device to come up with Android is more stable.
    Yawn. No one cares but geeks with Android phones. No one is going to trade an iPhone in for an Android device to use the second best operating system. Doesn't matter at all.

These remarks & Many More, just shows that even when presented with factual data, people don't want to believe what is shown unless it is in their favor.

Its like a parent in denial, even when presented with facts showing their child is a criminal.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    02-06-12 01:44 PM
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
    02-06-12 01:54 PM
    Who's the Smartphone OS Crash Champion? | PCWorld

Seems the idea that iOS is the most stable OS is just lies & Marketing (BB wasn't mentioned in this Study)

The author of the article noted that he expected iFans to be up in arms about this study & looking at the replies to his article, I would say he was right.

These remarks & Many More, just shows that even when presented with factual data, people don't want to believe what is shown unless it is in their favor.

Its like a parent in denial, even when presented with facts showing their child is a criminal.

The operative word to describe these deniers is delusional.
    02-06-12 01:57 PM
    Hmm..I feel bad for those people whose iPhone's crashed. I really can't remember the last time I've had to reboot my phone because of something crashing, but I know it's been months.
    02-06-12 01:59 PM
    Cool story. I'm selling today. If an app that runs on development devices reports twice the iOS crashes it must be true. Oh, it's reporting app crashes.... On development devices.... Still must be true.... I know my iOS crashes at least, well, never!

Apps on the other hand, they do crash quite often. Maybe a more accurate title.
    Last edited by xandermac; 02-06-12 at 02:09 PM.
    02-06-12 02:04 PM
    Founder is on Twitter and very responsive, hit him up if you have questions.

Questioned about Google's investment in Crittercism, and the fact that Android apps have less opportunity to crash due to frequent OS reboots, his responses were interesting and in the public timeline no less!
    02-06-12 02:12 PM
    I find the study to be opposite of real life experience with me and my friends. I cant say i have crashes often at all with android even modded and overclocked but it still happens 1-2 a month probably. I would venture to say most of my friends with iphones have never had them crash or need a reboot. Maybe like 3-5 times a year or something
    02-06-12 02:20 PM
    Gf's 4s get constipated on occassion also. Funny how all this is never mentioned. But she does find siri entertaining. As long as she is happy. Even though she was really miffed when I downloaded Advance Os LED and showed her the multi colored notifications and customization features. Haha! But she does love my PB.
    02-06-12 02:22 PM
    I find the study to be opposite of real life experience with me and my friends. I cant say i have crashes often at all with android even modded and overclocked but it still happens 1-2 a month probably. I would venture to say most of my friends with iphones have never had them crash or need a reboot. Maybe like 3-5 times a year or something
    I'm going to assume it depends on the device also. My iPad 1, with it's limited memory experiences application crashes a lot with certain memory intensive apps. But the operating system itself is never crashed on me.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    02-06-12 02:22 PM
    Moved to News & Rumors
    02-06-12 02:38 PM
    My experience is worse with my Android than my iPhone. I had about 1 to 2 crashes per month on my Droid. I have had 1 in 4 months on my iPhone. My BB crashed about as 3x much as my Android on OS5.
    02-06-12 03:09 PM
    between my Storm and the iPhone 3Gs, I'd say the Storm crashed daily and the iPhone would have to be restarted once a month.

3Gs usage = 90%
    Storm usage=10%
    02-06-12 03:30 PM
    My 4s needed a reboot probably 3-4 times a month. Every Android phone I've had was probably double that. I'm sure it varies with everyone since everyone uses their phones differently.
    02-06-12 03:45 PM
    App crashes and device crashes are two different things. My iPhone has crashed and had to restart one time (last week actually) since I purchased it on it's release date. As for app crashes, maybe one or two per week from old apps that haven't been updated in years. If you talk to people who use an iPhone as a main device you'll get a much more accurate idea than a random study.
    02-06-12 03:56 PM
    I believe it. My VZW iPhone 4 crashed almost weekly.
    02-06-12 03:58 PM
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
    Didnt you tell people in another thread that sources dont matter just whether the results are true?

But thats not the case right? LOL
    02-06-12 04:23 PM
    Didnt you tell people in another thread that sources dont matter just whether the results are true?

But thats not the case right? LOL
    Exactly. In that case, an easily proven fact was considered irrelevant because of the source.

In this case, a compromised source, and easily disproven assertion.

Let's leave Apple and Android out of it for a moment, and imagine an analogous situation.

In this box, the latest Blackberry phone. The OS seldom if ever crashes.

In this box, a WinMo 6.0 phone. The OS locks up at least once per day.

Which will log more APPLICATION crashes? The WinMo phone, with no application ever running more than eight hours, or the blackberry, with applications running for weeks at a time.

If you were running a site funded by Microsoft, you could report that the Blackberry experienced more application crashes.

But CB would rightly call out the bias, and point out why.

I think everyone would benefit from a quick read of the co-Founder's tweets regarding Google's role in his company and Crittercism's understanding of the issue above, which they declined to highlight in the report. Regardless of where you stand, you will NOT want to lend any of your credibility to this group.
    Last edited by Palmless; 02-06-12 at 04:47 PM.
    02-06-12 04:43 PM
    App crashes and device crashes are two different things. As for app crashes, maybe one or two per week from old apps that haven't been updated in years.
    ^This. I don't care what system your running..I can pretty much guarantee it's old or incompatible apps, or a poorly updated app that causes the crashes. It rarely has anything to do with the actual OS.
    02-06-12 04:53 PM
    Well to be honest, the article matters to me less than the responses on there, the back and forth there, clearly indicates that all is not greener on the other side (until recently...my iphone was stolen last week...I was feeling more and more that was the case).

There is no perfect device, and no device is perfect for everyone...but likely everyone could find a device that is perfect for them I'm hoping bb10 will be that for me...but we will see.
    02-06-12 05:01 PM
    ^This. I don't care what system your running..I can pretty much guarantee it's old or incompatible apps, or a poorly updated app that causes the crashes. It rarely has anything to do with the actual OS.
    Didnt the author say he too thought this was the isse?
    BUT he blamed Apple for that too because its so hard to update your apps on iOS as you (the app developer) have to go through the entire approval process & sometimes updates are refused, even though the origional app was approved
    02-06-12 05:09 PM
    My 9780 crashed way more often than any of my Android or iOS gadgets. And it crashed because of native applications on recent OS too.
    02-06-12 05:44 PM
    BB10 phones running QNX should be more stable than iOS devices

I did actually talk with a former BB user that switched to an iPhone4 and he did talk about his iPhone freezing, needing an OS reload,...he mentioned apps would sometimes not work properly (Ex. Facebook). And he said his girlfriend has an iPhone3 and she's always dropping calls
    02-06-12 06:31 PM
    BB10 phones running QNX should be more stable than iOS devices
    With the currently planned release-window they better be.
    02-06-12 06:46 PM
    On my iPad the os never crashes, but safari and a lot of apps crash with impunity. On the other hand my bb os crashes sometimes but I never have an app crash.
    02-06-12 08:20 PM
    My brother's iphone crashes pretty often- but I have not had a crash with my 9850 since I got it on release day! ta-da!!
    02-06-12 08:39 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD