Hey everyone. Newbie here and not really up to speed with the Playbook. I am trying to rip DVDs and move them to the Playbook. I have downloaded handbrake like some people mentioned and I have tried ripping using default settings, Ipad settings and AppleTV into MP4. Once the file has been ripped, I try to preview the file, but it is all scrambled. When I sync the video file with my playbook, it says that format is not supported. If anyone has a little time, I would appreciate some instructions on the best way to handle this.
    02-06-12 12:26 PM
    I use Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate on DVD's that I have legally purchased to make a digital copy. It works great and even has a specific Playbook setting...

Hope this works.....
    jtwarrin5 likes this.
    02-06-12 12:29 PM
    Use divx especially for HD content
    02-06-12 12:39 PM
    There are a numer of good apps to do this. While Handbrake is free, it is for many not that intuitive. I use DVD Catalyst, which also has a Playbook Setting, and find it very easy to use.
    02-06-12 12:47 PM
    Hey everyone. Newbie here and not really up to speed with the Playbook. I am trying to rip DVDs and move them to the Playbook. I have downloaded handbrake like some people mentioned and I have tried ripping using default settings, Ipad settings and AppleTV into MP4. Once the file has been ripped, I try to preview the file, but it is all scrambled. When I sync the video file with my playbook, it says that format is not supported. If anyone has a little time, I would appreciate some instructions on the best way to handle this.
    I don't know whether you use a PC or Mac--- but here is a nice walkthrough for a Mac user using the Handbrake
    How to rip a DVD with HandBrake | Macworld

02-06-12 12:50 PM
    You also need to remove the drm from the video, prior to converting with handbrake
    02-06-12 12:50 PM
    You will need to remove the DRM which may or may not be legal depending on where you live but you might want to look at Anydvd by Slysoft for that.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    02-06-12 12:57 PM
    What is the typical file size after ripping with either Aimersoft or divx? Handbrake was giving me 4.4 GB files. I only have 16GB Playbook. Do all of the programs take an hour or so to rip? I feel like an asking all of these questions, i must have been living in a bubble these last few years. LOL

Thank you for all of your help.
    02-06-12 12:57 PM
    All of the converters take some time to rip. The speed of your PC/mac plays a role too.
    With 4 gig files I suspect your converting to high quality. Standard movies are around 1 gig for me and they look great.
    I'm not near my PC but if I remember correctly...
    Under the video tab try lowering the bitrate. If your just viewing on the PB go to something like 1500 or even lower.
    To save time try smaller files like just 1 chapter and test. Once you get the setting where you want them save the profile.
    GH440 likes this.
    02-06-12 01:06 PM
    There are a numer of good apps to do this. While Handbrake is free, it is for many not that intuitive. I use DVD Catalyst, which also has a Playbook Setting, and find it very easy to use.
    Which playbook setting do you use? I am looking for something that wont yield a huge file, but still give good quality.
    02-06-12 01:16 PM
    What is the typical file size after ripping with either Aimersoft or divx? Handbrake was giving me 4.4 GB files. I only have 16GB Playbook. Do all of the programs take an hour or so to rip? I feel like an asking all of these questions, i must have been living in a bubble these last few years. LOL

Thank you for all of your help.
    It really depends on quality. You can force handbrake to make them any size you want but quality is generally the tradeoff along with playback processing power (there's a reason the iPod classic can only do low profile). Also, quality can be subjective as each person "sees" quality a bit differently. Most of my movies that are around 90min with a moderate amount of action average around 1.2GB in size. Most of my 22(ish)min TV episodes average around 200-250MB. At 4.4GB, your mp4 is probably around the size of the original VOB file but you should be able to get it down to 1/3 or 1/4 of the orignal size. Play with the default Handbrake settings (like iPad) and see what works for you keeping in mind what playback device(s) you want to use (i.e. are you just encoding for the PB or for the PB and something else).
    02-06-12 01:20 PM
    I use handbrake on Ubuntu on normal preset with no problem (must also install libdvdcss2 and restricted extras). Then I boot into Windows and transfer over the files.
    malcerie likes this.
    02-06-12 02:56 PM
    Thanks everyone for all of the advice. I am using DVD Catalyst and it is working great. Not too expensive either. I really appreciate all of your help.
    02-06-12 03:00 PM
    I admit to occasionally visiting a torrent site and recall the days when one "ripper" managed to get some very good copies at about 700mb or about 3/4 of a gig. Maybe I'm just not that picky but they certainly served my purposes. I don't know what tools were use.

Again, as a new user, you may want to hook the pb up to the hdmi for your tv and then sometimes you want a bit higher quality.
    02-06-12 03:50 PM
    Here is the easiest and cheapest way (free) check Homer1475's post on my question on how to do this. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...isk-pb-694578/

Here's what I do:

Use dvddecryptor to remove macrovision protection and put the movie on my harddrive, Then use a program called freemake to put the now dvd format movie into a format the PB can recognize. Then using the USB cable move the movie over to the PB.

Whats nice about freemake is it has a preset for the PB, no guessing like in other well known programs(handbrake or others). Freemake is also a free program and just has to be downloaded and installed on your pc. Some people are having trouble finding the PB presets, just click on the bottom "To BlackBerry" and on the image that pops up, click on it. Your then presented with a bunch of BB devices, at the very bottom of that list is the PB.

Enjoy.
    02-06-12 04:07 PM
    jforte78,

I use Pavtube's iMedia converter for my blu-rays and dvds. They have versions for both Mac and Windows. You have to pay for it, but I haven't found anything easier to use. They have a whole slew of formats you can convert to. Not only the playbook, but also the blackberry phones as well.

Here is the link: Pavtube Blu-ray/DVD Ripper/Video Converter, Blu-ray/DVD to MKV/MP4/iPad converter

I also use their ByteCopy for converting my blu-rays to .mkv files. It takes me just a couple of minutes to set it up, and then hit go and leave for a dinner and come back and it is done. Easy peasy!

Pavtuve, takes care of all the DRM stuff as well. SO no worries there. It does it all in one shot!

I know a lot like handbreak and a few other ones, but my personal opinion, pavtube has worked the best for me. PLUS, I didn't have to know anything about formatting. I just clicked a few buttons and off I went.

I hope that helps..
    02-07-12 07:48 AM
    jforte78,

I use Pavtube's iMedia converter for my blu-rays and dvds. They have versions for both Mac and Windows. You have to pay for it, but I haven't found anything easier to use. They have a whole slew of formats you can convert to. Not only the playbook, but also the blackberry phones as well.

Here is the link: Pavtube Blu-ray/DVD Ripper/Video Converter, Blu-ray/DVD to MKV/MP4/iPad converter

I also use their ByteCopy for converting my blu-rays to .mkv files. It takes me just a couple of minutes to set it up, and then hit go and leave for a dinner and come back and it is done. Easy peasy!

Pavtuve, takes care of all the DRM stuff as well. SO no worries there. It does it all in one shot!

I know a lot like handbreak and a few other ones, but my personal opinion, pavtube has worked the best for me. PLUS, I didn't have to know anything about formatting. I just clicked a few buttons and off I went.

I hope that helps..
    Approximately what size are the resulting files?
    02-07-12 09:29 AM
    After reading this thread yesterday I used handbrake to convert a dvd(90 minutes) for the PB. I went down to 500 for the video bitrate. The file was 600mb with 2 audio tracks. In my opinion it looks good on the PB and even on the 50" sitting 10 feet away its fine.
    02-07-12 09:42 AM
    My problem has been with the "decryption". I used the free DVD Decrypter and got the movie onto the hard drive fine...or so I thought. VLC player plays it fine but Handbrake is getting confused on what audio track to follow (it will jump to the commentary in one chapter and then spanish for the next or french and then the descriptive audio for the visually impaired) and the chapters play out of sequence. This only happens in the Handbrake version though.

I thought maybe taking it in parts then with the proper audio track selected would do the trick but so far no go. I haven't had this problem with other videos I've converted with Handbrake. I may try the other programs mentioned here and see if they work better for me. Not trying to make a big deal out of it though. It would be nice to take some of the movies I've purchased and watch them on my PB sometimes. Great screen. That Avengers extended commercial from the Super Bowl looks fantastic in HD on my PB.
    Last edited by KMB4; 02-07-12 at 10:56 AM.
    02-07-12 10:51 AM
    I use dvd 43.
    Right from DVD through handbrake and onto the PB. Takes about an hour.
    Convert and transfer at the same time. Wish I would have known that sooner.
    02-07-12 11:03 AM
    My problem has been with the "decryption". I used the free DVD Decrypter and got the movie onto the hard drive fine...or so I thought. VLC player plays it fine but Handbrake is getting confused on what audio track to follow (it will jump to the commentary in one chapter and then spanish for the next or french and then the descriptive audio for the visually impaired) and the chapters play out of sequence. This only happens in the Handbrake version though.

I thought maybe taking it in parts then with the proper audio track selected would do the trick but so far no go. I haven't had this problem with other videos I've converted with Handbrake. I may try the other programs mentioned here and see if they work better for me. Not trying to make a big deal out of it though. It would be nice to take some of the movies I've purchased and watch them on my PB sometimes. Great screen. That Avengers extended commercial from the Super Bowl looks fantastic in HD on my PB.
    I use DVD Decrypter with no problem try using Freemake instead of using handbrake. Freemake also has a conversion setting just for the PB. It's awesome and free!
    Last edited by Willard814; 02-07-12 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Puncuation
    02-07-12 11:25 AM
    I'm getting deja vu with this thread. Probably because it's a rehash of the same thread from a couple of weeks ago.

I use DVD Decrypter and the "Normal" setting on Handbrake. Nema problema.
    02-07-12 11:30 AM
    Willard814 thanks for the tip. Using Freemake now and it looks like it did the trick. Much easier UI as well.
    02-07-12 02:30 PM
    for those using DVDdecryptor, and then Freemake, can you advise what setting to use to eliminate the "wide screen", black bars (top and bottom) that I am getting when the movie plays on PlayBook? it must be in the settings for Freemake or DVD Decrypter. Thanks
    02-10-12 12:23 PM
    Actually, the freemake version I made is a bit choppy for both movies I ripped. I also see that it is smaller on the screen than my other attempts with Handbrake. I couldn't find a setting that edits the playbook setting. It makes the files mp4. Handbrake allowed me to make m4v files which seemed to run smoother. I'll keep playing around with it (leisurely) and see if I can adjust it.
    02-10-12 01:04 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD