Does anyone know if there is a way to do this? I know about the Private Eye app, but that forces you to use the Playbook as the camera and then you can monitor a room via the web on another device. What I would like to do is set up a wireless camera in the nursery and then monitor the room on my playbook. Can this be done?

My wife and I are expecting soon and I'd rather spend $250 on a second PB than $150-$200 on a video baby monitor that only does one thing.

Thoughts? Thanks!
    jpy007 likes this.
    02-02-12 11:15 AM
    The built in video chat should work for this purpose. Just setup a video chat between the two PlayBooks, point one at the baby and then keep the other one with you. Just leave the chat running, and you will get both sound and video of the baby. Also because the PB multitasks, you can still web browse, or use apps while the chat app is running. The only downside would be if you lost connection to one of the devices you would have to manually reestablish the video call. This would work over long distances also, BUT you need someone in both locations to start the call and accept the call. BUT this could be cool for watching the baby while you are at work and the wife is at home with the baby.
    02-02-12 11:22 AM
    We have done it many times using the video chat. No issues with the connections maybe because we always use it over the same wifi . Just be sure to mute the baby PB. Those video monitors are way over priced and I'm curious to hear if anyone has had experience with standalone wireless cameras and PB.
    Certainly a good reason to get another PB.
    Congratulations on the new addition!
    02-02-12 11:33 AM
    I will let my user name speak for itself... Ages 7, 5, 2.5 and 6months. My wife and I have never had/felt the need to have a video monitor.

Now in saying that I will agree that its a great reason to buy another Playbook LOL.

More importantly congrats on the most precious gift you will ever receive.
    02-02-12 11:49 AM
    Thanks for the ideas (and well wishes) guys! I hadn't thought about the video chat option. That's a good idea. Unfortunately, I'll be using my PB at work/on the road a lot so when I'm not around, my wife won't be able to use that feature. Does anyone know if it is possible to set the playbook up to work with an external wireless camera, though? Just curious Thanks again!
    02-02-12 11:56 AM
    What a cool idea!
    What else can this baby do??

Man, oh man.
    Better and better every day.
    02-02-12 11:57 AM
    Ok, another idea, and this should work from the road, BUT will require a networked PC with a webcam. Get Flash Media Encoder setup on the PC, or use the tools Justin.tv, or Ustream provide on their site. THEN setup a channel and broadcast a stream of the webcam, on Justin.tv, or ustream, which you can then watch on the PB, even while bridged from the "road."
    02-02-12 12:01 PM
    you will need to use the video streaming option of the wireless camera.

i know sololink? does that for a yearly subscription. once your camera is set up and connected to a wireless network, it streams video to the sololink site and you can browse to their website from your PB to view your stream

all the best
    sdmcdowell05 likes this.
    02-02-12 12:02 PM
    Perfect! That's a great idea. Thanks! And great point about multi-tasking. If the feed has audio, you could keep that running in the background while using the tablet for whatever. I'll look into this more, but I think it is a perfect fit. I think I may just be picking up a second PB. As long as I tell my wife it's for the baby monitor, I think it'll be an easy sell
    02-02-12 12:09 PM
    thinking about this, as well...we have Schlage Link, or Nexia, or whatever it's called now, so I was thinking their upgraded video feed options might fit the bill...accessible via mobile device (app) and/or web.
    02-02-12 12:16 PM
    What a cool idea!
    What else can this baby do??

Man, oh man.
    Better and better every day.
    This just uses the video camera, but has been very useful for me to have the portability of a PB.

My dog has been having some health issues recently. I use the PB to video him at home when his symptoms are present because he rarely exhibits them when at the vet. I toss (carefully) the PB in my purse when going in for my appointment and he gets to see what is going on with my dog first hand. It's been very helpful in diagnosing the problem.
    02-02-12 12:21 PM
    So far I know, most wireless wifi cams nowadays include a simple web server

Something like this could be a nice start ?
    Foscam - FI8918W Cam�ra IP motoris�e de surveillance pour int�rieur avec vision de nuit: Amazon.fr: High-tech

Or, more sofisticated :
    AXIS M1031-W Network Camera - a small wireless IP camera with advanced intruder alarm functions | Axis Communications
    02-02-12 12:22 PM
    On a related note you will need a regular monitor too and this one is by far the best we have used.
    Amazon.com: NTM-910YLW - Sony Baby Call Nursery Monitor: Baby
    It's been working great for years and has excellent battery life.
    02-02-12 12:31 PM
    You do not even need to buy another Playbook to do this (unless you want an excuse to get another Playbook).
    There is a Playbook app called Reelportal and you can set up your Playbook in the baby's room and using Reelportal on any computer you can monitor through video and sound all activities. I do this when my grandson visits and sleeps in a back bedroom so we can see him on the family room computer.
    cntrydncr223 and beavertail2 like this.
    02-02-12 01:16 PM
    how about this?

From the Manufacturer The Linksys Wireless-G Internet Video Camera sends live video with sound through the Internet to a web browser anywhere in the world! This compact, self-contained unit lets you keep track of your home, your kids, your workplace -- whatever's important to you.
    Unlike standard "web cams" that require an attached PC, the Internet Video Camera contains its own web server, so it can connect directly to a network, either over Wireless-G (802.11g) networking, or over 10/100 Ethernet cable. The advanced MPEG-4 video compression produces a high-quality, high-framerate, up to 640x480 audio/video stream.
    here's the link

here's another with night vision
    Last edited by spatialmongrel; 02-02-12 at 02:02 PM.
    Chaddface and Superfly_FR like this.
    02-02-12 02:00 PM
    Some great ideas folks!!!!!!!!!
    02-02-12 02:15 PM
    The Foscam network IP cameras are great, but I can't get sound when using the PB browser.

I use the cameras with an iOS app called IP Cam Viewer and with that I get live video and sound. Even now, I'm sitting in Europe and can see/hear my kids' rooms on this app.
    02-02-12 02:33 PM
    This just uses the video camera, but has been very useful for me to have the portability of a PB.

My dog has been having some health issues recently. I use the PB to video him at home when his symptoms are present because he rarely exhibits them when at the vet. I toss (carefully) the PB in my purse when going in for my appointment and he gets to see what is going on with my dog first hand. It's been very helpful in diagnosing the problem.
    very creative, I like it!!
    02-03-12 12:52 AM
    Fyi, the overpriced baby cameras do work in the dark. As you being a first time parent, I'd recommend a solution that does. I've seen my FIOS service now allows web house monitoring for ~$10/month with a lot of equipment options. Just another idea. Congrats and good luck!
    02-03-12 05:36 AM
    I use Splashtop in app world, it lets you view whats on your pc monitor, I set up the laptop in the room, turn on the web cam, then I can view on my PB. Works really well for me when I need to check on my puppies while I am at work.
    02-03-12 08:21 AM
    sorry, but im about to bump this thread !!

I too have my first child (daughter) on the way, and thought about using our playbooks as a baby monitor.

The playbooks would work great, except I would love to be able to to view the princess from multiple places simultaneously. eg, while shes at home with mommy, and I am at work. Im not sure the playbook would support that. Group chat feature ?

So, I thought about using this webcam:
    Amazon.com: Cisco-Linksys WVC54GC Wireless-G Internet Video Camera: Electronics , as suggested by "spatialmongrel"

and then i guess im going to need to download Buy tinyCam Monitor PRO - Download tinyCam Monitor PRO - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World

According to Tinycam, they support the Linksys ipcam above. Apparantly the playbook's browser isnt compatible with cameras servers.

A complete solution for $45...not bad eh ? Cant wait.

If anyone has a better idea, I would greatly appreciate some direction...
    08-15-12 04:25 PM
    I think this will be the best use of the video chat app. I hope the two PlayBook setup works for you and the misses. Best of luck and congrats on the new baby.
    yunvi likes this.
    08-15-12 04:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD