This pic is from Blackberry's website. Is FM tuner support available on the 9850? They make it sound like these are OS 7.1 specific and not necessarily the device model, except the NFC which the 9850 doesn't have built in.

No further info on the site that I could find. Anyone know more?
    01-31-12 02:45 PM
    This has been asked and answered in this specific forum many times. No FM tuner. It is a harware issue, not software.
    01-31-12 02:55 PM
    Thanks. I searched before posting but did not see an answer. I really wish the 9850 had been given higher priority in the design process to put it on the same technical level as the Bold for some of these features.

I like mine and it is a solid phone, but it could have been an extraordinary touchscreen device with a few extra tweaks.
    01-31-12 03:12 PM
    This pic is from Blackberry's website. Is FM tuner support available on the 9850? They make it sound like these are OS 7.1 specific and not necessarily the device model, except the NFC which the 9850 doesn't have built in.

No further info on the site that I could find. Anyone know more?
    I pulled this quote from the Inside BlackBerry blog site when OS 7.1 was announced.

FM Radio: The BlackBerry 7.1 OS update will let BlackBerry� Curve� 9360 and 9380 smartphone customers enjoy FM radio. The Curve models include a built-in FM radio so you can tune in to local FM radio stations. Simply plug in your headset to boost the reception (it acts as the antenna). Plus, no data usage or data plan required!
    01-31-12 04:13 PM
    Thanks. I searched before posting but did not see an answer. I really wish the 9850 had been given higher priority in the design process to put it on the same technical level as the Bold for some of these features.

I like mine and it is a solid phone, but it could have been an extraordinary touchscreen device with a few extra tweaks.
    A built-in FM tuner would make it extraordinary?

Have you tried either of these?
    Free TuneIn Radio - Download TuneIn Radio - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World
    Free Nobex Radio - Download Nobex Radio - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World
    01-31-12 04:18 PM
    Still, those consumed data. Having a Fm tuner would mean, radio everywhere without destroying your dataplan.
    01-31-12 04:38 PM
    A built-in FM tuner would make it extraordinary?
    No, of course not but I would personally have liked that. It was on my Motorola cell phone back in 2002.

I was thinking more along the lines of NFC, glass screen vs. plastic, maybe buttons that don't make an audible click along the bottom that make it seem kinda cheaper feeling. I do really like the addition of the trackpad which makes navigation much easier than on my old Storm. The memory capacity is great too.

That aside, I chose the 9850 because I wanted the full touchscreen. No one was more excited to get it than I was on release day. I am happy with it but I am on my second phone due to the overnight charge bricking issue. This one keeps randomly dropping all the alert profiles causing me to miss calls way too frequently. Maybe an OS update will fix that soon...

Not bashing... just observing.
    01-31-12 05:34 PM
    Maybe an OS update will fix that soon...

Not bashing... just observing.
    LOL - Good luck with that. On these forums many can not differentiate. Might as well be a politician with a nuanced opinion on an issue.
    01-31-12 05:38 PM
    I find it weird that the Curve, which is usually considered the "cheapest" BB, has the FM Tuner and their higher end models don't.
    01-31-12 05:38 PM
    Do you find it weird that the Flagship physical keyboard BB does not have an auto focus camera, making the ability to use any bar scanning app impossible? Do you find it odd that the Flagship touchscreen device doesn't use the same materials as the keyboard flagship (plastic screen and bezel v. glass screen and metal band)? Forunately the head of product development is now the CEO of RIM so things will get better.
    01-31-12 05:42 PM
    ^^ yup.....boggles my mind as well this logic of Rim's.
    01-31-12 05:43 PM
    LOL - Good luck with that. On these forums many can not differentiate. Might as well be a politician with a nuanced opinion on an issue.
    I know... I've been around here long enough to learn that. Perhaps I am a bit grumpy because I tried to call VZW about my sound profile issue and could not get past their automated menu labyrinth and when finally instructed to press 0 to speak with someone, it rang off into oblivion.

Will try later at a time that might not be as busy. Would really hate to disturb them with my little issue!
    01-31-12 05:48 PM
    No, of course not but I would personally have liked that. It was on my Motorola cell phone back in 2002.
    Ahh, the good ole V series...I remember those phones! Cutting edge technology back in the day!!!
    02-02-12 08:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD