Are any of you using the 9850 without a screen protector? If so, how is the screen holding up against scratches?
    01-31-12 09:20 AM
    I got a couple of hairline scratches so I put one on, I recently took it off tho. I'd say its susceptible tho. I definitely suggest using one, cuz you never know.
    01-31-12 09:59 AM
    It's a plastic screen. It will scratch. Use a good protector, and don't listen to any ignorant fool who just wants to be a RIM cheerleader and cares nothing about your loss. Little worse than a BB screen with lots of tiny scratches in it.
    01-31-12 10:05 AM
    I didn't use one until I dropped my 9860 on the ground and it took a huge chip out of the screen. Luckily the phone was going back the next day as it was faulty and being replaced. Needless to say as soon as I got the replacement on went the screen protector. I don't like them but not willing to take the chance.
    Last edited by up488; 02-02-12 at 12:01 PM.
    01-31-12 10:42 AM
    I actually don't use a screen protector. I wear earrings and still have had no issues with the screen scratching. Not even a small one. I do have a gel skin on and have dropped it a few times too. Still no scratches.

Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones
    01-31-12 11:03 AM
    i have the 9860 and haven't put a screen protector on it.

it's got some really tiny scratches, but nothing terrible.
    01-31-12 11:25 AM
    I'm also not using any screen protector with my Blackberry.
    01-31-12 11:33 AM
    Thanks for all your replies. Knowing the 9850 screen was plastic, I put one on it the day I got the phone, along with a BB case. I would really prefer not to since it does dull the display a bit. Guess I'll keep it on there, at least until the last few months before my upgrade way down the road.

Cheers to all!
    01-31-12 11:57 AM
    I've only had the one on the Otterbox defender but have now taken that off. I would only put a screen protector on if it is full screen and a matte finish for outside use. Any suggestions? I've been able to find a few full screen protectors but one are matte finish.
    01-31-12 12:07 PM
    no scratches on mine, i use the trackpad most of the time so i don't have to touch screen
    01-31-12 12:15 PM
    I don't use a screen protector, I do have a the Shell/Holster combo from Verizon so the screen is protected when in the holster. I have had the phone for 5 months with no problems always use the holster to carry the phone. I am one who doesn't like having a phone in his pocket so prefer the holster. I had a Storm 2 for 2 years with no screen protector but used a holster and it looked just about brand new when I sold it.
    01-31-12 12:52 PM
    I actually don't use a screen protector. I wear earrings and still have had no issues with the screen scratching. Not even a small one. I do have a gel skin on and have dropped it a few times too. Still no scratches.

Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones
    Took me a second to figure out the earrings. I rarely hold the phone to talk so I had to think about it for a second, lol. I too have earrings and never thought about it scratching my screen. I've had a screen protector since day one and scratches is one less thing I have to worry about.
    01-31-12 12:54 PM
    so for those who use one. Is there one that you recommand. on the crackberry shop, there seem to be only 2 options.
    01-31-12 12:58 PM
    I don't have one, and yes there are some scratches. Not enough to bother me, but this is likely to be the last in a very long line of blackberries that I carry anyway.
    01-31-12 01:22 PM
    I got a 3pk on eBay of no particular brand (not that I can remember anyway) and they cover around the buttons. They work well, I like them. 99 cents.
    01-31-12 01:41 PM
    I use a snap-on hard shell OEM Blackberry case, but my screen is naked and I've had it since the Verizon launch in September. Only a few barely visible mars rather than scratches on the screen. That happened when I put it in my pocket with my house keys like an dumb@ss. I've dropped it about four times on hard surfaces like concrete and tile floors with no scratches or damage (the case pops off, but that is what I think saves the phone - it takes the shock, not the phone). I'd like to get a skin, but any I have seen on other phones (mostly iPhones) are horrid with bubbles underneath or weird sticky plastic feel.
    01-31-12 01:43 PM
    I never use screen protector for my phones.

I used the 9860 for more than 4 months, no screen protector, no skin. I do have a holster, but most of the time I put the phone in my pocket.

I did drop the phone for a few times, with battery and cover flown off, whoops!

I do not see any noticeable scratches on the screen yet, probably a few scratches on the corners of the phone, but still not noticeable.

With the rate of people (me) upgrading their phone, I would not like to sacrifice the look/feel/use of the phone with screen protectors, cases, skin, etc.

9860 looks great without anything on it.

My 2c.

Vince
    02-01-12 12:35 AM
    My first 9850 did really really well. It was a launch torch. It was a great device except it bricked on me one day. I got a refurbed unit as a replacement and it immediately scratched going into my jean pocket... minor scratches that aren't noticeable. But then one day while at work we had a surprise jet taxi in (didn't give us a heads up that it had landed or anything) and I had to rush to get ready to marshall the jet into it's spot and dropped it in my pocket that had like 3k yen in change in it It gouged the screen really bad. Luckily I got the water beneath the screen thing going and my trackpad is loose and is unresponsive sometimes so Verizon is once again replacing it... Just sucks they don't ship to APO cuz I have to wait for my mom to ship it to me here
    02-01-12 01:47 AM
    I cannot reccomend Ghost Armour enough. Put one on a couple of weeks ago, superb. It makes no difference whatsover to the feel and touch of the screen.
    Innerchild and rickkel like this.
    02-01-12 02:15 AM
    VZW is replacing my 9850 due to no documented solutions for the sound issues. I took the screen protector off today since this one is going back in a few days just to see if there is really a difference. I will definitely check out the Ghost Armour for my new (refurb) phone.
    02-01-12 11:19 AM
    Never used a screen protector, won't use one either. I am fine with my holster and have no scratches.
    02-01-12 03:29 PM
    I have complete insurance coverage on both my sister's and my BlackBerry. Guy at the Sprint repair store said they can replace the screen for free if I needed to, so I rather not use a screen protector. I don't use cases either, makes devices bulky and the screen protector would just peel off over time.

I'm getting the 9850 real soon, still with the 8530.
    Last edited by Undenied; 02-01-12 at 07:37 PM.
    02-01-12 07:19 PM
    I'm way to fussy to go with "naked" plastic. I have been using Zagg Screen protectors (which can be purchased for substantialy less at Amazon) even on my glass phones. A slightly different feel, but after a few weeks it really isn't noticeable.
    02-02-12 01:27 AM
    I dont use any, and sure have one or two tiny scratches but nothing terrible.
    02-02-12 11:35 AM
    Don't use one and never have. No scratches and have a pocket pouch. I don't buy things to resell them, I buy them to use them.
    02-02-12 11:59 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD