I have just read quite a few threads in which people are complaining about the browser. I am led to believe, by this information, that not many are using Opera Mini. And I have to ask: why not? Opera Mini 6.5 and the 9860 are an almost perfect couple.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-12 08:28 AM
    Used it on my older Blackberry's, never tried it on my 9860. I cant remember why I even had it.
    01-28-12 09:29 AM
    Used it on my older Blackberry's, never tried it on my 9860. I cant remember why I even had it.

I remember. On my BB 9700 the old OS browser would not let me view a forum website properly. BB updated the OS, never went back to Opera.
    Last edited by JORENO; 01-28-12 at 10:35 AM. Reason: correction
    01-28-12 10:27 AM
    Why would I use Opera? The standard BB browser on the 9860 is just great for me...

01-28-12 10:30 AM
    Why would I use Opera? The standard BB browser on the 9860 is just great for me...

I agree, I'm ok with the BB browser.
    Last edited by JORENO; 01-28-12 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spell
    01-28-12 10:37 AM
    No complaints about the BB browser. I tried Opera a few months ago, and it did not provide any advantages over the BB browser.
    01-28-12 11:26 AM
    I think the consensus is that the BB browser has been significantly improved in current OS releases, to the point that there is no reason to use Opera Mini any more.
    01-28-12 03:39 PM
    I am using it right now on my 9930.
    01-28-12 04:11 PM
    I feel like a broken record lol. Yes there are reasons to use Opera Mini in OS 7. The main ones are it has "Single Column View" with text wrapping, and a nice large fixed width font.

So you can actually read web pages without zooming or scrolling side to side or zooming to make the font comfortable.

Yes with the native browser you can tweek and get a font that works on lots of sites. And then on some sites it will be tiny. Then if you zoom it in the browser fails to wrap the text. (not talking about double tapping).

There are lots of complaints on here about RIM getting rid of "column view" when they moved from OS 5 > OS 6. Now you can get that back.

Also Opera is a bit faster due to server side rendering. Though the difference is not so great in OS 7 devices since these devices have pretty modern hardware.

Also something the new Opera version has is pinch to zoom. This was something that used to be lacking.

I use both the native browser and OM.

By the way the CrackBerry forums look great on Opera Mini.
    Last edited by southlander; 01-28-12 at 04:21 PM.
    01-28-12 04:17 PM
    OK, just downloaded and will give it a try. Looks pretty impressive. I like the buttons at the bottom of the browser.
    Last edited by JORENO; 01-29-12 at 09:13 AM.
    01-28-12 05:04 PM
    According to the current device in your profile, are you possibly in the wrong forum? If you are in the right forum, have you even used a 9850/60 browser before making those statements?

. . . The main ones are it has "Single Column View" with text wrapping, and a nice large fixed width font.
    Column view loads by default in the 9850. Also, in addition to device settings, font size and appearance can be determined by what the webpage serves natively by default. The use of tables in webpages can also determine whether texts natively wraps or not.

So you can actually read web pages without zooming or scrolling side to side or zooming to make the font comfortable.
    This is also by default with the 9850, again, depending on the webpages and/or mobile device's settings.

Yes with the native browser you can tweek and get a font that works on lots of sites. And then on some sites it will be tiny. Then if you zoom it in the browser fails to wrap the text. (not talking about double tapping).
    This is also by default with the 9850, again, depending on the webpages and/or mobile devices settings. The use of tables in webpages can also determine whether texts natively wraps or not.

Also something the new Opera version has is pinch to zoom. This was something that used to be lacking.
    Pinch zoom is a standard feature in the 9850's browser in addition to a zoom tool, though it didn't worked until a 7.1 fix.
    01-28-12 06:51 PM
    I have just read quite a few threads in which people are complaining about the browser. I am led to believe, by this information, that not many are using Opera Mini. And I have to ask: why not? Opera Mini 6.5 and the 9860 are an almost perfect couple.

I used to use Opera Mini on my Tour because the Bb os 5 browser SUCKEEED and the opera browser was blazing fast. When I got the 9850, the speed was fast enough but I decided to give Opera a shot anyway but I just couldn't handle its menu system. I like being able to exit the browser using the back button and to do other stuff with the menu button. I HATE how the opera browser does not let me do these because it has its own menu button...
    Nicola likes this.
    01-29-12 01:12 AM
    At first I was kind of impressed, then this happened! Looks like I will do a remove on Opera.
    Last edited by JORENO; 01-29-12 at 09:23 AM.
    01-29-12 09:14 AM
    As stated Opera is nothing new. I've used Opera an bolt thru the yrs. Every device I get I try opera on it. I just don't have a use for it. Opera is really an over bloated browser in my opinion.
    01-29-12 10:51 AM
    At first I was kind of impressed, then this happened! Looks like I will do a remove on Opera.
    Click to view quoted image
    The Joke on this error is on RIM and their awfull app world website than opera. The day you get that message on a website that is NOT RIM, you can start to worry about it.

I used to use Opera on my Bold 9700. But even if it was miles better than the original BB browser, it just couldn't overcome the bad hardware it was running on.

I recently installed the latest opera mobile brower on my BB 9860 and for the first time, My BB felt like it was meant to browse the internet.

The BB browser is the worst mobile browser currently on the market for a smartphone.

I love my 9860 but the browser it by far the worst part of it. Once I installed Opera, all of my complaints toward browsing with my 9860 went away

1- Gone are the Checkboards. As much as RIM was saying it was a thing of the past with their 7.0 devices, it was false advertisement at his best. Lots of website exibited checkboard, espicially with heavy tables. Nothing of the sort with opera. Scrolling down and up is done so fast and with ease compared to the BB Browser.

2- Actual adaptive text/font to be redeable with easy.

3- Text wrap based on the size of the screen. No need to scroll left or right to read text anymore of having to zoom out but have to suffer with Font size too small.

4- Better response with the touch screen. Less delays to scroll and touch/click have a easier time to regisiter. Upgrading to 7.1.205 helped this on the BB browser but this is even better with Opera.

5- Faster load time and less data downloaded making your data plan happy with you and your wallet due to Opera Server side execution.

I always thought that despite the new CPU, that my new 9860 was left in the dust with 3 years ago hardware that just wasn't enough to compete with small tasks like browser the web. Opera showed me that in fact, the issue is Rim is not the hardware, it's the software. It's really badly optimized and is slowing the phone down.

If you even closely do web browsing with your 9860, I urge you to give opera a try. It transformed my 9860 weakness into one of it's greatest strenght.

I think RIM is not doing it right. They obviously are struggling at providing a performing browser on their smartphone. Why not do what they already do with other part of the BBos and license someone else's brower, be it opera or something else and including it with the OS?

The only advantage the BB browser has over opera right now is HTML5 support. There is a newer version of opera that supports it but for some reason, it's not available on blackberry right now (only androids).
    Last edited by Guibs; 01-30-12 at 07:44 AM.
    01-29-12 08:47 PM
    According to the current device in your profile, are you possibly in the wrong forum? If you are in the right forum, have you even used a 9850/60 browser before making those statements?

Column view loads by default in the 9850. Also, in addition to device settings, font size and appearance can be determined by what the webpage serves natively by default. The use of tables in webpages can also determine whether texts natively wraps or not.

This is also by default with the 9850, again, depending on the webpages and/or mobile device's settings.

This is also by default with the 9850, again, depending on the webpages and/or mobile devices settings. The use of tables in webpages can also determine whether texts natively wraps or not.

Pinch zoom is a standard feature in the 9850's browser in addition to a zoom tool, though it didn't worked until a 7.1 fix.
    Coincidentally I just got a 9850 two days ago. I see no difference in the native browser vs. the 9930 other than obviously in landscape mode there is less need to zoom than on the 9930. It is still a variable width font. The extra screen size helps though.
    01-30-12 03:59 AM
    I feel like a broken record lol. Yes there are reasons to use Opera Mini in OS 7. The main ones are it has "Single Column View" with text wrapping, and a nice large fixed width font.
    Double tab the screen and ya have word wrap.
    01-30-12 01:11 PM
    I just have to contribute further: data, text wrapping, and other features aside, we have to remember speed. Opera loads Web pages more quickly and you can use the "Back" button to go back. Yes, you read this correctly. Not reload a previous Web page, but go back without loading anything.
    01-30-12 03:14 PM
    Double tab the screen and ya have word wrap.

Yes. I know. But that does not help if the fonts are too small. With Opera this is never an issue.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    01-31-12 01:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD