Hello there guys!!! I've made the upgrade I'm using OS 7.1.0.205 on my Bold 9900 from Telcel Mexico and I can't use the mobile hotspot. The upgrade actually looks fine and runs well in it but as I can't use the mobile hotspot i want to know if that's a problem with the upgrade or it's just becouse of my carrier that i need to activate that option?!?!? Could domebody out there could tell me!!!
    01-26-12 11:47 PM
    I apologize about my bad english
    01-26-12 11:53 PM
    Maybe your phone company blocked the hotspot option. Ask them if you are required to pay extra for the functionality.
    ChefMenendez likes this.
    01-27-12 08:15 AM
    With each release it seems that the carriers are getting wiser and doing things to make you pay for using the Hotspot. With this version on T-Mobile you get a webpage letting you know your contract does not include the Mobile Hotspot and gives you the option to add the service for $14.99 a month.

However there's a way around it. After installing OS7.1.0.205 I deleted the Hotspot cod and replaced it with the cod from 7.1.0.74. After that nothing from TMO asking me to pay them more $. I'm sure this won't last very long though.
    ChefMenendez likes this.
    01-27-12 08:45 AM
    thanks guys but I'm back from my carriers office ant they told me that I don't need to pay for hotspot service, but they can't provide me the APN passwrod couse they don't know nothing about that :S. Do i need to make the downgrade to 7.1.0.190?? maybe<???
    01-27-12 02:12 PM
    You shouldn't have to do any downgrade. I'm not sure how it's done with your carrier, but the device would need to be provisioned to use the mobile hotspot service.

What do you mean about the APN Password?
    01-27-12 02:16 PM
    when i try to use the mobile hotspot apears a window asking for an APN router wifi name, then a user name and other password i really don't understand... :S
    01-27-12 02:20 PM
    when i try to use the mobile hotspot apears a window asking for an APN router wifi name, then a user name and other password i really don't understand... :S
    you need to provide the APN name: for tmobile, it is epc.tmobile.com...however, there has to be something for your carrier...go to Options > Device > Advanced System Settings > TCP IP = you should see your carrier's APN.

you don't have to put anything for the username and password, as per posters on other threads.

good luck!!
    ChefMenendez likes this.
    01-27-12 02:35 PM
    really apreciate your help sbx9900, unfortunately theres no APN name in my device from my carrier i will kill somebody at TELCEL, but really thanks. Now I know what to say to them!!!
    01-27-12 04:17 PM
    a little search lead me to this

Carrier specific APN/TCP settings - BlackBerryFAQ

There you can find the following

"Telcel

APN: internet.itelcel.com
    Username: webgprs
    Password: webgrps2002

but please note the following

NOTE: If you have a Blackberry with Telcel and you add this APN, you _will_ get charged for data transfer ...
    "

Please read the full link and do not hold me responsible for the information

good luck !
    Last edited by Briard; 01-27-12 at 04:46 PM.
    01-27-12 04:31 PM
    you guys are amazing!!! really apreciate your help!!!! I already find that. Theres no problem with the charge hehehehe Thanks!!!!!!
    01-27-12 04:43 PM
    I'm on T-Mobile and I use epc.blackberry.net for the APN. Nothing for the username or password.
    01-27-12 07:45 PM
    I'm on T-Mobile and I use epc.blackberry.net for the APN. Nothing for the username or password.
    Have you upgraded your plan to include the mobile hotspot feature? if not, are you saying that you are able to use the mobile hotspot feature and you are not redirected to a site asking you to upgrade your plan? or did you change the mobile hotspot cod to an earlier version?

I apologize to the many questions. Right now, I am sitting on the fence. I am on .590 and I can tether to my laptop using usb and DM. Do all BB OS's allow tethering through usb without extra charge? I am on 2gig unlimited plan for $20.
    01-27-12 08:30 PM
    the whole apn/pw is carrier dependent
    sk telecom does not require a pw
    and i have truly unlimited data (unthrothled) and speeds are amazing

but i will wait for an official release.
    01-30-12 07:54 AM
    have the same problem with my 9930 sprint upgraded to 7.1.0.163 (b457),but am not in the US..each time i tried to activate the mobile hotspot i am told to enter a username and password...
    my question now is do i need to install another 7.1 OS that is not from sprint in other to make the mobile hotspot work, i have an unlimited data plan for my BIS it will be such a waste if i cant use this feature..
    02-02-12 04:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD